Hi everyone,

Any input, help, suggestions you have, will be greatly appreciated. I just bought the Curve 8330 with VZW as my carrier.

I'm experiencing the earpiece problem, whenever I receive a message with media on it.

I called the Verizon store I purchased the phone from, and then referred me to the Blackberry website, to download the most current OS for the phone. They told me to make sure I back the phone up, using the CD software that came with the phone, and then to proceed to the V4.5xx software download.

Is this a process that is going to overwhelm me, or is it pretty straight forward? Does all of this info sound correct?

As I mentioned, any input/advice/opinions you have, will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks everyone.
    10-06-08 10:34 AM
    10-06-08 10:37 AM
    And if you need help, just ask!!
    10-06-08 10:40 AM
    ...and then to proceed to the V4.5xx software download.
    4.5 isn't "officially" supported by VZW as yet. That website will only install the 4.3 software (which I would assume is preloaded on your curve).
    10-06-08 10:54 AM
    If you install an unofficial OS, you take yourself out of Customer Service Support and void your warranty. That means if you find some other defect and want to return your phone within the first 30-days, you have to roll-back to the official OS first. For that reason, I never recommend upgrading an OS in the first 30 days.
    10-06-08 11:07 AM
    Well the instructions are very straight forward and not overwhelming. I followed them to the letter when I upgraded and had no problems. If you do run into a wall or question just post it and someone will help you. Good luck and let us know how it goes.
    10-06-08 11:09 AM
    Thanks for the replies - especially the one regarding the VOID on the 30-day warranty!!

I'm experiencing the problem when downloading ring tones as well. Is this common? Is there anything else I can do besides the upgrade (with the exception of what I've read in other forums, i.e. taking the battery out and/or using voice dialing).

This seems like a major problem for such an advanced and COSTLY phone.

Thanks everyone. This web site is awesome!
    10-06-08 12:16 PM
    If you install an unofficial OS, you take yourself out of Customer Service Support and void your warranty. That means if you find some other defect and want to return your phone within the first 30-days, you have to roll-back to the official OS first. For that reason, I never recommend upgrading an OS in the first 30 days.
    VZW just informed me that the OS download no longer voids the warranty. Has anyone else found this to be true (or not true?).

Thanks.
    10-06-08 12:23 PM
    This is a well known problem and Customer Support has finally got the message. It is corrected in v4.5xx. Previously, thousands of them have been replaced with referbs.

If you are not comfortable with the upgrade, there is a quick fix.

First, let the audio clip play to completion. The problem only occures when the clip is interrupted.

Second, use Voice Activated Dialing to release the speaker.

I would strongly recommend doing the upgrade, in addition to that specific correction, there are others including the "save to media card" being reset to device memory after a restart.
    10-06-08 12:33 PM
    Very good news about the warranty!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-06-08 12:39 PM
    This is a well known problem and Customer Support has finally got the message. It is corrected in v4.5xx. Previously, thousands of them have been replaced with referbs.

If you are not comfortable with the upgrade, there is a quick fix.

First, let the audio clip play to completion. The problem only occures when the clip is interrupted.

Second, use Voice Activated Dialing to release the speaker.

I would strongly recommend doing the upgrade, in addition to that specific correction, there are others including the "save to media card" being reset to device memory after a restart.
    Thanks so much! I will report back later tonight, after the upgrade.
    10-06-08 12:40 PM
    VZW just informed me that the OS download no longer voids the warranty. Has anyone else found this to be true (or not true?).

Thanks.
    Cingluar told me that "downloading the new OS from blackberry.com, will not void the warrenty" so perhaps, vzw is the same.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-06-08 12:43 PM
    where do you download the new os from?
    10-06-08 03:59 PM
    where do you download the new os from?
    Welcome to CrackBerry.

Each device topic has listing for the new OS available from a official carrier. We do not permit posting of beta testing sources.

http://forums.crackberry.com/f52/new...anguage-75458/
    10-06-08 04:16 PM
    Just finished the download - and everything seems to have worked perfectly!! Should I be seeing anything different with the phone?

THANKS EVERYONE!
    10-06-08 08:19 PM

Thanks.
    What VZW is telling you is that if you download and install an OS they officially
    released, it will not void your warranty. An OS from another carrier or a version
    they have not sanctioned will in fact still void your warranty and take you
    out of the Customer Support loop.
    10-06-08 08:28 PM
    What VZW is telling you is that if you download and install an OS they officially
    released, it will not void your warranty. An OS from another carrier or a version
    they have not sanctioned will in fact still void your warranty and take you
    out of the Customer Support loop.
    For what it's worth, on top of the phone call, I went to the store tonight and made it perfectly clear that I was downloading the OS from the Blackberry web site. They again, informed me that it will NOT void the 30 day warranty.
    10-06-08 08:44 PM
    For what it's worth, on top of the phone call, I went to the store tonight and made it perfectly clear that I was downloading the OS from the Blackberry web site. They again, informed me that it will NOT void the 30 day warranty.
    BlackBerry does not have the OS available anywhere on their site. Every carrier
    that has BB's available has a part of their site to d/load DM and the OS, but
    these are not the BlackBerry site.

Ask your carrier if installing OS 4.5 from Voadfone or Orange or TIM or US Cellular, etc...
    (regardless of where it came from) will that void your warranty and if they will provide you support.
    Anyone you speak to who actually knows what they are talking about will say no.

Think about it, if they haven't officially released it, they also have probably not
    fully trained their staff as to it's operation. It would not be in their interest to have
    CSR's answering questions about an OS they are not fully versed in. And they most
    certainly will not warrant any damage done by an OS the have not sanctioned.
    Last edited by amazinglygraceless; 10-06-08 at 08:56 PM.
    10-06-08 08:52 PM
    I think you missed what I was saying.

BlackBerry does not have the OS available anywhere on their site. Every carrier
    that has BB's available has a part of their site to d/load DM and the OS, but
    these are not the BlackBerry site.

Ask your carrier if installing OS 4.5 from Voadfone or Orange or TIM or US Cellular, etc...
    (regardless of where it came from) will that void your warranty and if they will provide you support.
    Anyone you speak to who actually knows what they are talking about will say no.
    I just downloaded the new OS from Blackberry's website. Not quite sure what you're talking about.
    10-06-08 08:55 PM
    This is what I downloaded:

BlackBerry - BlackBerry Device Software

While it may not be an exact OS - it is close enough, as it fixed my problem, and is what everyone told me to do, including Verizon.
    10-06-08 08:56 PM
    Interesting. It seems that Rim has 4.5 for the 8330 and the 8830 available on their site, while the Verizon site has 4.3 for the 8330 and 4.2 for the 8830. I didn't expect to see that discrepancy. I can understand why member coryjd is confused. Our advice seems to be partially out of date. I can't run 4.5 since my BES doesn't support it, so I can't download it to try it.

Have you tried it, AG?
    10-06-08 09:16 PM
    Interesting. It seems that Rim has 4.5 for the 8330 and the 8830 available on their site, while the Verizon site has 4.3 for the 8330 and 4.2 for the 8830. I didn't expect to see that discrepancy. I can understand why member coryjd is confused. Our advice seems to be partially out of date. I can't run 4.5 since my BES doesn't support it, so I can't download it to try it.

Have you tried it, AG?
    I have, but based on my PIN it is not available for my carrier. Hasn't been
    since the thing went up a week or so ago.
    10-06-08 09:20 PM
    So what OS does it show for 8830?
    10-06-08 09:23 PM
    So a newbie was right?!

Again, thanks for everyone's help.
    10-06-08 09:24 PM
    So what OS does it show for 8830?
    The Rim site just says 4.5 for the 8830. I didn't download it to see what the full version number is. The Verizon site has 4.2.2.196. My BES doesn't support 4.5 yet, unfortunately.
    10-06-08 09:35 PM
26 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD