Hey there,

I have had this bb curve 8330 for about two weeks now, and I must say I've become quite addicted, and learned a ton.

I submit this post to other newbe's to learn what I have learned in short order that is extremely helpful. Where did I get all this info - READING HERE mostly, along with BBforums, Pinstack, Mobile Professionals websites, posts, blogs, etc.

I plan to revisit this post often, and add new info that I have learned. For now, just the basics. Lets get started.

1. Downloading Third Party Apps

There is a lot written about this topic. Desktop install thru BB Desktop Manager can be used with downloaded zip files and the Loader module. Simply point the Mngr at the .cod and .alx files you extract from your .zip download, and instruct it to "add" the .alx app. Simple

But I like to use OTA (over the air) whenever possible. You can find OTA links on every site, but what I find most useful is to simply make a list of the (hyper)links (URL's), and paste them into an email to yourself. This allows you to surf on your PC, find what you want to get for your phone, compile a list of links, and email it to your phone. Once you receive the email, just simply click the links, and the download screen will pop up.

2. Setting Permissions during installation (BEFORE download)

I always let the application set its own permissions (within reason-I review what it wants and generally accept as-is. Beware of letting applications reset the security timer, but some need to in order to function across a firewall). Before I download, I click the permissions check box, view the permissions, accept and save the permissions, then its downloading. Always "allow" the application to set more permissions the first time it runs, go thru all the prompts and "allow" each one, and you'll generally be done with this for good. A few acceptions will occur, but they will be minimally intrusive.

Optionally you can disable your firewall entirely, and avoid all the nuisances of being bothered for permissions, but this is bad practice and will open you up to invasions or viruses. RIM has security software and encryption technology second to none, and as you see the phone requires user intervention with the applications to make it safe for the internet and outside world. Corporations use these phones for secure email, and if you are on a BES as opposed to a BIS, you won't be able to disable your firewall. But if this is just a personal phone and entertainer, you can. Also, it will make it faster if you do disable the firewall.

3. Getting max speed from your unit

I have found thru some experimental testing that:
    -disable java
    -disable or prompt for java script
    -disable firewall
    and 1XEV network connectivity yields the best result of 250-325 kbps download and 65-85 kbps download.

By comparison, with all of the above set to enable, I was getting far less. Back for more later.
    03-26-09 09:03 PM
    ::covering my ears::

cool!! yeah, that stuff looks familiar..
    03-26-09 09:10 PM
    Wow, thanx for doing my homework!
    03-26-09 09:16 PM
    goot stuff, thanks for sharing
    03-26-09 09:47 PM
    You've also gotta remember by disabling java you're going to take out a lot of sites that have java enabled. Youtube would be virtually disabled as well as a string of others.

Also imo the only way you're going to get a virus on the phone is downloading an app from a site that's unsecure. I haven't heard too much about viruses poppin up on BB's. Having the firewall enabled is a good thing imo if the phone is used for business purposes. Other than that a normal user shouldn't really need to enable it unless they are being spammed by a slew of unknown numbers/emails and such.

I've hit speeds of 80-90kbs with those settings on (minus the firewall). I think it just depends on the location of the user. Just figured I'd give my two cents about it

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com

EDIT: btw I've never hit anything above 90 with the settings on or off. Good review though!
    Last edited by bizN; 03-26-09 at 10:37 PM.
    03-26-09 10:35 PM
    Good info but I don't undrerstand what the permissions are. I never look I just hit download really and go with it lol. And good tip abour the email trick with the links. Like that a lot

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-26-09 10:43 PM
    hmm...might have to try some of this
    03-27-09 07:59 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD