I am new to Blackberries. I send a lot of e-mails so I could deal with the iPhone touch pad anymore. I got an 8300 from a friend to hold me over until the bold. He is not very tech savvy but I like to think of my self as being pretty good (I build computers for a hobby as well as I am a mechanical engineering student). He said that he had heard about a thing on the BB where it can automatically delete messages and calls from people after the calls have been received or the messages have been read. Does this setting exist, if so how do I turn it on. Thanks.
    07-03-08 12:50 AM
    I don't know of a setting but if the device memory is low or gone, it will automatically delete that stuff. Maybe thats what was happening to your friend.
    07-03-08 12:59 AM
    OK, thanks alot.
    07-03-08 01:35 AM
    i have never heard of that setting before

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-03-08 01:47 AM
    Agree with garz

07-03-08 02:09 AM
    Agree with garz

Wow...

Well, you can always just manually delete each message after you read it. It works for me. I'm not sure why you would want your call log to immediately erase though... unless you're trying to hide a number from someone...

As far as automatic deletion goes, the only option is to go into your inbox, hit Menu>Options>General Options>Keep Messages: The lowest setting right now is 15 days, at which point it will automatically delete any messages over 15 days old.

If this is truely a privacy concern of yours, the best thing to do would be enable auto-lock, that way you can be sure no one can access the device at all without your permission.
    Last edited by Kronk; 07-03-08 at 04:21 AM.
    07-03-08 04:18 AM
    Wow...

Well, you can always just manually delete each message after you read it. It works for me. I'm not sure why you would want your call log to immediately erase though... unless you're trying to hide a number from someone...

As far as automatic deletion goes, the only option is to go into your inbox, hit Menu>Options>General Options>Keep Messages: The lowest setting right now is 15 days, at which point it will automatically delete any messages over 15 days old.

If this is truely a privacy concern of yours, the best thing to do would be enable auto-lock, that way you can be sure no one can access the device at all without your permission.
    I was hoping there was something that would let you do this. I have mine for work and personal and I wish the email from work would auto delete on the handheld after reading (propiritary information) I have it lock enabled, but just the extra little bit would be great. As for phone numbers I could care less who gets those.
    07-03-08 04:52 AM
    I was hoping there was something that would let you do this. I have mine for work and personal and I wish the email from work would auto delete on the handheld after reading (propiritary information) I have it lock enabled, but just the extra little bit would be great. As for phone numbers I could care less who gets those.
    Only thing I can suggest is to go request it in the Developer's Forum. Perhaps someone will pick up the idea and make an app that will do it for you.

I see one major drawback to a program like this though. Take your example, company email with proprietary information. What happens if you open that email, and it gets closed accidentally? Pushed the wrong button, mysterious reboot, battery dies, etc... That email you may have needed right then is gone from your device, and you have to jump through hoops to get it back.
    07-03-08 05:28 AM
    Yeah I see your point but it will also be on my laptop amd can just get it from there.
    07-03-08 05:32 AM
    I say. think of how it could work for EVERYONE and then request it

cheers
    07-03-08 09:18 AM
    How do i auto lock my device? I know i have to go to Security Options and then general settings and put password to 'enable'. In what point am I requested to introduce my password?
    07-03-08 10:12 AM
    When you save your settings, it will ask you to set you password. Then there is a time out setting that set the length of inactivity that triggers the lock. There is also a setting to lock on holstering, if you use a holster with a magnet.

07-03-08 05:25 PM
    So you don't respond to any emails? There's no way that you can respond to each and every message as soon as you read it. Who does that? You may need to get some info and respond later, you could be driving and just quickly glance at the message, it could be late at night, or you could just go to check the time and while you're at it check your messages. If you get the function you want, any of those events will cause you're message to get erased and I know you don't carry a notebook EVERYWHERE. Just seems too radical of a security policy to me. The best thing to do is read the message and don't even close it, just delete right from the message body.

Do you shred your paper mail as soon as you open it and read it ,

07-03-08 06:53 PM
    When you save your settings, it will ask you to set you password. Then there is a time out setting that set the length of inactivity that triggers the lock. There is also a setting to lock on holstering, if you use a holster with a magnet.

Thanks for the help!!!
    07-04-08 04:20 PM
    Glad to assist!
    07-04-08 08:00 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD