is it better to lock my phone when its in my pocket or to put it on standby mode? whats the difference? if there is none...wtf is the point of keyboard lock
    03-14-08 01:43 AM
    when in my pocket, I prefer keyboard lock. I have never accidently unlocked it that way in my pocket but I have on standby mode.
    03-14-08 01:44 AM
    Some people like stand by mode better because there's a remote possibility to make an emergency call if you use keyboard lock. My phone is set to lock upon holstering and I love it, never had an issue with making accidental emergency calls.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-14-08 04:01 AM
    Standby is like putting your computer to sleep. If you tap the keys it'll wake up. The keypad lock does just what it says - just remember to re-lock it after calls/messaging.
    03-14-08 04:04 AM
    Standby is like putting your computer to sleep. If you tap the keys it'll wake up. The keypad lock does just what it says - just remember to re-lock it after calls/messaging.
    You CANNOT exit from standby with any button but the MUTE key on top.

Standby also saves battery life, unlike keyboard lock, which will turn on the backlight and prompt you to unlock it anytime a key gets pressed.

Standby is the same as holstering it.

Press and hold the MUTE button on top of the phone, then try to exit standby, press any button you want, except the top MUTE button, nothing happens, no backlight or anything.
    Last edited by cjcarbone; 03-14-08 at 04:39 AM.
    03-14-08 04:35 AM
    I use standby because it's faster to get in and out of. The keyboard lock kinda bugs me.

On the 8130, the answer/menu/back/end keys will turn the screen on when in standby. While none of the other buttons do anything, and it's still locked, all it does is flash the screen for 5 seconds.
    Last edited by mkfrmn; 03-14-08 at 04:42 AM.
    03-14-08 04:38 AM
    I prefer keylock but only after making the button on the side of my curve set to lock it when pressed instead of finding the icon for it.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-14-08 06:39 AM
    Pearl vs curve. On my curve i use standby. On a pearl, keyboard lock works well.
    03-14-08 07:55 AM
    For me they both do well at preserving battery power. However I usually holster the darn thing(s) and use the magnet to put them to sleep. That's also great at preserving battery power.
    I've noticed that the only time I run down to 1/2 charge or so in a day is when I have the BB out on my desk most of the day. Maybe it's because I'm fooling around with it more, I dunno.
    03-14-08 08:11 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD