Hello all!

I just bought a new 8300 curve unlocked AT&T branded.

I'm outside USA right now using a local provider.

When i try to configure email, i just have 2 options, use BES or skip email setup.

Browsing the web is working just fine, so i donwloaded gmail app but i get the infamous "network unavailable...this prog requieres a data conn..."

I'm sailing in the dark here.. any clue ?
    Thanks in advance
    06-21-07 09:06 AM
    Well first off, welcome to CrackBerry.com!

Now secondly, do you have a BlackBerry Data Plan on your account?
    06-21-07 09:49 AM
    Well first off, welcome to CrackBerry.com!

Now secondly, do you have a BlackBerry Data Plan on your account?
    Well, quick update from my last message. I get to work gmail app.
    I just have to change my APN config.

My old apn info was using cingular , and since here my carrier is MOVISTAR i guess that was the problem.

Regarding BB data plan, since I can browse the web with my provider I do have a data plan.
    My question is, a data plan is the same thing that a BB data plan?

I don't understand this, if a bought a BB device, should RIM give me access to 10 email account or not? Regardless my cellphone provider, i have paid 500$ usd. Am i wrong here?

By the way, i've tried to active my BB using cingular / At&T BB internet service and I get "please check pin and IMEI..."

Thanks in advance for your Quick response.
    06-21-07 02:21 PM
    RIM doesn't give away anything. The data service is an additional fee each month. I have no idea if the carrier you are using supports BlackBerry or not.
    06-21-07 03:28 PM
    Thanks, this is very clear now.

Since i bought an unlocked blackberry without any carrier plan, just the device, that's why i don't have the email setup options using BIS.

Later, installing a regular SIM card, despite internet access, this doesn't give you access to any kind of email services trough RIM.

did i get it all right? or am i missing something?

Thanks in advance.
    06-21-07 04:24 PM
    this email config you are talking about, is you logged into your providers BIS config right??

btw im also using movistar
    06-22-07 01:26 AM
    No, this email config option is right in my blackberry device.
    Setup Wizard --> Email Setup

I'm not able to get logged at any BIS provider. I always get the "please check pin and imei number"

I talked to movistar yersterday, and they told me that they can provide bb bis access, but since I did not purchase my BB from them, now i have to take it over their technical service and they will "active" my bb.

Honestly i don't think i will. I'm using right now gmail access with no problem at all. Don't have push email, but i don't want it.
    06-22-07 10:00 AM
    take it, normally when you have a BB brought from the us or eu, you have to take it in for it to be configured by your local provider (thats how it is down here in Panama)
    regarding the BIS access it seemd you did not have a data plan after all.. to have full bb access get the data plan(blackberry) of your provider
    if you had a wap only plan jsut update, the unlimited one is most likely the same price.
    what country are you in?
    06-22-07 08:44 PM
    I'm in Argentina right now.

I'm not sure if a want movistar touching my BB device.

Besides push email, what else do i get running BIS ?

Cause i have solved email using gmail app, and i'm syncing using outlook 2007

Talking about syncing, if i add a calendar event in my bb device, that even is not added in my outlook calendar. (viceversa works with out a problema)

I'm not experiencing this issue with contacts.

Is there any solution for this?
    06-25-07 09:20 AM
    I'm new her and this my first post. Yes, I know that htis an old post but I think that I may have the answer because I have exactly the same problem.

I bought my 8100 on ebay and have now unlocked it from Vodafone UK and as a phone, it now works fine. However I too have no BIS option Only BES or skip email setup.

So I called Vodafone in the UK and they told me that the BIS service is much cheaper than BES and once a phone has been set up to work with BES they DISABLE the BIS service to stop people from using the cheaper service.

What wonderful people. I asked if they would re-instate BIS and they said 'Sure, just sign up for our montly plan and we'll fix that right away, Sir.'

They would not agree to unblock BIS under any other circumstance.

My phone unlocker is on the case right now but I do not expect him to get lucky.

It seems that if you but a used and locked Pearl then you run the risk of not having access to BIS if the previous owner has used it with BES.

Now if I can just find a Vodafone UK contract user who is willing to let me put his SIM in my phone while Vodafone unlock BIS...... yeah, dream on....

Pete
    03-19-08 10:56 AM
    Further on down the road, I just called Swisscom, my local GSM supplier and they enabled my pop email with no problem whatsoever - for a fee, of course.

I am getting fed up with getting screwed just for having a BB. Swisscom wants TWICE per month what I previously paid for 50Mb data per month. My Sony Ericsson P1i does email (on demand, admittedly) and web access for $10/month, the BB service is $20/month for only push email.

This is a blatant rip of and I checked rates in the UK where I also keep a phone and it is even worse.

I am signed up for the rest of this month ($7) but unless I am super impress with the service, which I doubt it will be bye bye BB.

Pete
    03-19-08 12:30 PM
    ... I know that htis an old post but I think that I may have the answer because I have exactly the same problem....

Pete
    That is the value of searching, often you will find a discussion that will throw some insight on your problem.

If I followed correctly, your Curve is working as intended on a third party carrier. You have Phone and Browser access and you are likely being charged by how much you are using.

BIS is a service the carrier provides. If you subscribe to the service, your existing emails (10) can be forwarded to you when you have coverage. If that is not critical, you can use the Browser to access web based email service.

BES is the high security business software. Your employer's IT department maintains the servers and uses BlackBerry service to forward the encoded mail. Some features are only available with BES, but BIS is ideal for professional consumer use.
    03-19-08 12:45 PM
    It seems that if you but a used and locked Pearl then you run the risk of not having access to BIS if the previous owner has used it with BES. ...
    If the device has ever been connected to a BES server, company policies are implemented. They are designed to protect the interest of the company and are not easy to change.
    03-19-08 12:48 PM
    Swisscom wants TWICE per month what I previously paid for 50Mb data per month. ... the BB service is $20/month for only push email. ...
    Yes. The BlackBerry infrastructure is built around pushing data. In order for that to work, BlackBerry is charging your carrier about half that amount to provide service.

That does justify the premium service charge, but does not justify increased data rates over your base service.

BlackBerry is new to the consumer market, up 'till now, big companies have been paying the bills and they were able to negotiate profitable service agreements. Very profitable.
    03-19-08 12:54 PM
    Hmmm, maybe this thread ain't dead yet....

Actually I have an 8100 Pearl. I hate the keyboard. My fingers know about QWERTY keyboards but my thumbnail only seems to knw about ABC keypads.

You are pretty much right about big companies footing the bill for BB data traffic. I know from my own little company (a PC repair and telecom company) that the netops do very deep discounting the more users you have and the more data you shift. BES is sold by BB to both companies and the netops.

BIS is still a BB product. I have been to 6 different operators and when you go to signup for BIS, there is a little caption on the screen that say 'Copyright RIM...'. The main thing here is that netops have always hated the fact that they could not charge for email delivery. You pays yer monthly ADSL cgarge and you (generally) get all the emails you can eat. Now with BIS they can over double your mothly renta by selling you emails on the move. Nice work... Well done RIM.

I am paying (1 Swiss Franc is currently about US$1 give or take). Sfr. 25 per month on contract, Sfr. 10 for 50Mb of data (which includes 'normal' pop email on say my Sony Ericsson or the wife's Nokia) for email and web access. Now I have to pay and extra Sfr. 20 for BIS access on top of the rest because the BIS charge does not include web access.

Having made it all work though, it is pretty nice.Yuo are quite right, charges will come down, especially in Europe because there are all sorts of pressure groups and watchdogs pressuring the governments here to drop charges and to reduce international (within Europe) 'call completeion charges'. It will be a while before the add-ins come down though. This is just like buying the cheapest auto option that a garage offers and the piling on loads of accessories.

Thanks for listening.

Pete
    03-19-08 03:25 PM
    My pleasure Pete.

Thanks to you European subscribers, innovations like Unlicensed Mobile Access is becoming a reality. Still some hitches to be ironed out, but it promises to relive network congestion and improve quality of performance beyond the networks effective range.

Those prices compare favorably to the rates charged by American carriers. In Canada, our carrier is still practicing the old school traditions of selling $10/Mb data.

We are hoping to see lower data rates eventually, competition from that BIG European carrier may be pending.
    03-19-08 03:41 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD