Hi all, great place here with tons of info. Great job. I know the "search" key is my friend, but, I'm really frustrated right now. Just received my 8330 today from sprint UPS. Things were working fine until I loaded a couple of music and picture files. Now it's locking up all the time.
    Any ideas?
    01-16-09 09:29 PM
    Have you tried pulling the battery when the power is on? this will reset the phone.

Are you using a Media card? If yes, try taking it out.
    01-16-09 09:32 PM
    Did you load these files on the BlackBerry or an MicroSD card?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-16-09 09:33 PM
    What kind of pictures and videos are they? Are they compatible with the BB?
    01-16-09 09:36 PM
    Have you tried pulling the battery when the power is on? this will reset the phone.

Are you using a Media card? If yes, try taking it out.
    I did pull battery twice and locked up at start up.
    I did load files on the microSD card. I just pulled the card, everthing seems to be fine now. So what do I do about the card? I take it, I messed something up by using the card?
    01-16-09 09:41 PM
    What kind of pictures and videos are they? Are they compatible with the BB?
    Music is mp3 and pics. are JPEG.
    I hate being a 50 yr old n00b.
    01-16-09 09:43 PM
    I did pull battery twice and locked up at start up.
    I did load files on the microSD card. I just pulled the card, everthing seems to be fine now. So what do I do about the card? I take it, I messed something up by using the card?
    Try reformatting the card in an adapter on your computer, see if you get an error of any kind.

If all goes well, try putting a few files on the card (music only, or pictures only) and reinsert card. Be careful to insert the card correctly.

If everything works, then reload the other file type that was left off, and reinsert the media card.

Let us know how that goes.
    01-16-09 09:44 PM
    Also, if the picture files are gigantic, then the phone could be choking on those big files. You may need to use a photo editor to decrease the file sizes to something more manageable for the phone. I know doing this really helped my phone display pictures without too much lag.

That's the problem with all the newer megapixel cameras, the files they generate are very big.
    01-16-09 09:47 PM
    Try reformatting the card in an adapter on your computer, see if you get an error of any kind.
    Let us know how that goes.
    I'll have to get a adapter card tomorrow. Have you heard of this happen before?
    Should I be concerned about the BB itself and send it back after 1 day of use, or is it just the card that's screwed up?
    Thanks for all your QUICK help. I'll let you know how all goes after the reformatting of the card!
    01-16-09 09:52 PM
    How did you get the music and pics on the BB, Mass Storage Mode?
    01-16-09 09:54 PM
    How did you get the music and pics on the BB, Mass Storage Mode?
    Yes...using BB desktop MGR roxio media....mp3's around 5mb and a few jpegs about 1mb each.
    What am I doing wrong?
    01-16-09 10:00 PM
    So, if I understand you correctly, the phone start up fine when the media card isn't in the phone? If so, then just reformatting the card should do the trick. I would imagine that the card got an error when you were transferring the files over. Has the card been used in any other phone, or device?
    01-16-09 10:17 PM
    So, if I understand you correctly, the phone start up fine when the media card isn't in the phone? If so, then just reformatting the card should do the trick. I would imagine that the card got an error when you were transferring the files over. Has the card been used in any other phone, or device?
    Phone is working fine without the card in. All the trouble started when I put a few mp3's and jpeg's from my computer on the card for the first time. The phone and (card that came with it) is brand new and I just received it today from Sprint, UPS delivered!
    01-16-09 10:23 PM
    Well then I'm almost certain one/all of the files got corrupted during transfer. A quick reformat should do the trick for ya!
    01-16-09 10:25 PM
    Yes...using BB desktop MGR roxio media....mp3's around 5mb and a few jpegs about 1mb each.
    What am I doing wrong?
    After you reformat the card on the PC, put it into the phone and let the phone create the directory structure.

Then, don't use Roxio Media Manager... enable Mass Storage Mode, and connect the phone to the USB port. You should be able to "see" the Blackberry as a logical drive now.

Open up an explorer window and locate your music files on the computer and drag and drop (copy) them into the Blackberry/Music folder on the media card. Pictures go in the Blackberry/Pictures folder.
    01-16-09 10:40 PM
    After you reformat the card on the PC, put it into the phone and let the phone create the directory structure.

Then, don't use Roxio Media Manager... enable Mass Storage Mode, and connect the phone to the USB port. You should be able to "see" the Blackberry as a logical drive now.

Open up an explorer window and locate your music files on the computer and drag and drop (copy) them into the Blackberry/Music folder on the media card. Pictures go in the Blackberry/Pictures folder.
    Thanks again for the help. I'll give that a try tomorrow and let you know how it goes!
    01-16-09 10:49 PM
    Just wanted to let you know it was the SDcard that locked up the phone. Reformatted, and all is good.
    Such a simple thing I may not have figured out without everyone who helped.
    Thanks again for a great forum with tons of useful info
    01-21-09 01:28 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD