Hey guys how are you doing. I am, or was rather a long time palm os user. I had a palm zire, a treo 650 and I am currently using a 680. However, yesterday I ordered a Blackberry curve 8300 refurb from att wireless. I have gps in my car so when att dropped the price to 30 dollars, I said why not. I am excited to use the blackberry os, but I am also a little nervous. I have been using the pals os for years and was wondering what are the general differences between them besides the obvious lack of a touch screen. Also, I was wondering what are the must have applications that a former treo user would want. Thanks a lot in advance.
    11-20-07 08:36 AM
    Hi,

i dont know if im the best person to commment on this, as ive never used Treo's, but im a former Palm user (T3 - the one with the sliding screen). i was a bit unsure about moving over the blackberry format, but my first impressions were great - everything works out of the box as it should, i was pleased that unlike the Palm os, few (if any) 3rd party ad ons were needed for it to be a functional device, i dont miss the touch screen as the trackerball works well and i get a full keyboard so its really quick and easy to type with.... and one of the best features is the seamless email intergrations

the only must have application ive come across (in my long 2 weeks of blackberry use!!) is Jivetalk for instant messaging, cant say enough good things about this (if you are a hardcore IMer like me) - it works on data usage which is great for unlimited data plans, unlike blackberry's built in IM software which works on each message being a sms message. Google maps is also a great piece of software for real time satellite imagery.

Ant
    11-20-07 11:38 AM
    Welcome to CB kamar! Make sure you check out the smartphone round robin threads, as there are reviews for people in your exact situation!

Biggest difference - BB's don't freeze on the hour, every hour
    11-20-07 12:31 PM
    Lol. Yeah, that's what pushed me over the edge. I got jealous of your upcoming software update that actually adds fuctionality instead of just fixing bugs and problems. Ther3e is so much information to digest. I know the curve like the 680 is chock full of shortcuts. Are there any more things that a treo user would want out of a blackberry? I have heard this is one of the most knowledgable forums out there. I really look forward to you input.
    11-20-07 07:10 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD