Just downloaded it

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-06-08 09:06 PM
    Downloaded it this morning, deleted it by nightfall. I know it doesn't give turn by turn, but the directions were just awful. My route to work in Nav4All 3 miles.

In Google maps, 5.2 miles. Took me past the last right turn in Nav4All, through downtown Hartford, and back up.
    And every other comparative route was some insanely circuitous affair. My normally 125 mile drive to my parents house in NJ works out to 148 miles in Google maps.
    06-06-08 09:57 PM
    I have Google Maps 2.10 on my 8320...will ver 2.2 do anything different?

06-06-08 10:54 PM
    I just installed 2.2 on my 8330 from sprint. It still says I'm much farther away from where I am really at when I tell it to show where I am. display indicates about 1700m. I guess what I can use google maps for will be limited until it can actually tell me where I am. BB maps shows me on the spot where I am. If there is a margin of error its so small I can't tell if its not showing me my precise real location on the map. I also have sprint navigation I haven't loaded up yet. The reason I haven't is I wasn't sure if I had unlimited use of it. I have the $30 Power Vision BlackBerry Pack and the info on sprint's site for the sprint navigation was rather vague about the packs and lumped them into a category type of pack so to speak. All I really want is to do 2 things with GPS see where I am at and find stuff around me and audio and visual step by step directions to destinations.
    06-07-08 08:25 AM
    On my Telus 8330 BB MAPS GPS works and is accurate but Google maps 2.2 still within 5000 m .
    06-07-08 01:40 PM
    I just installed 2.2 on my 8330 from sprint. It still says I'm much farther away from where I am really at when I tell it to show where I am. display indicates about 1700m. I guess what I can use google maps for will be limited until it can actually tell me where I am. BB maps shows me on the spot where I am. If there is a margin of error its so small I can't tell if its not showing me my precise real location on the map. I also have sprint navigation I haven't loaded up yet. The reason I haven't is I wasn't sure if I had unlimited use of it. I have the $30 Power Vision BlackBerry Pack and the info on sprint's site for the sprint navigation was rather vague about the packs and lumped them into a category type of pack so to speak. All I really want is to do 2 things with GPS see where I am at and find stuff around me and audio and visual step by step directions to destinations.
    If the internal GPS isn't already locked on the satellites, GMaps defaults to the old tower triangulation method and shows "within 1700m" (blue dot with a light blue halo). Once the internal gps locks in, 2.2 shows within 10m (blue dot only). It typically seems to take 10-15 seconds for the internal GPS to lock in, so you might need to wait a little longer. Also check that you haven't inadvertantly disabled access to GPS from GMaps.

I like Sprint Nav better because of spoken turn-by-turn and everything else, but I'll keep GMaps on just in case. I do kind of like the new "public transit route" feature and they continue to innovate, so it's worth having.

Haven't received my first Sprint bill since getting the 8330 Curve, but I've been told multiple times that unlimited Sprint Nav is free with both the $30 BIS and $39 BES+BIS plans (I have both on diff lines in my family plan). Due to an "interrupted provisioning" problem, it first offered me a 3 day trial. Once the new service books were there, the trial notice went away and it's acted like unlimited every since.
    06-07-08 02:00 PM
    I'm with Telus on a 8330 too..Telus Navigator works about 90% of the time, BBMaps about 65% of the time...downloaded Google Maps and it comes within 1700m of where I am which seems pretty useless...only thing I liked about it was the satellite images....still deleted it.
    06-07-08 02:20 PM
    There's a 2.2 version of Google Maps? Why isn't my Google Updater picking these things up?
    im wondering the same thing?
    06-07-08 02:31 PM
    I downloaded v2.2. It fixed the problem of no GPS with Google Maps (GPS had been working with BB Maps and SprintNav/TeleNav). Frighteningly accurate -- it not only shows me on my boat, but which side of the boat I am on. This rivals the accuracy of my marine GPS with WAAS -- probably not the position reliability and repeatability, but it is very very accurate.

v2.2 has fixed the 8330 Googlle Maps GPS problem.
    06-07-08 02:59 PM
    It typically seems to take 10-15 seconds for the internal GPS to lock in, so you might need to wait a little longer. Also check that you haven't inadvertantly disabled access to GPS from GMaps.
    I'll leave the app running for awhile to let it catch hold then. How do I check to make sure it has access to the GPS?

Haven't received my first Sprint bill since getting the 8330 Curve, but I've been told multiple times that unlimited Sprint Nav is free with both the $30 BIS and $39 BES+BIS plans (I have both on diff lines in my family plan). Due to an "interrupted provisioning" problem, it first offered me a 3 day trial. Once the new service books were there, the trial notice went away and it's acted like unlimited every since.
    I got a text message last night informing me that unlimited Sprint Nav is included. I used it last night going out to the movies just for the fun of being able to use it. I even used google maps to look up nearby restaurants afterwards and we headed out for a chinese buffet. Unfortunately whatever resource(s) google maps queries for that information appears to not be as up to date as it could be because the business no longer existed. Silly us we didn't call the number 1st and just followed Sprint Nav leading us to the address. It was fairly easy to switch between the two using the alt+back(esc) keys to enter the address in Sprint Nav. Is there a way of copy and paste or other such method to transfer addesses and other such info from one app to another? I know you can click on phone numbers and links to call the number or visit web sites but I couldn't seem to find a method of transferring the address.
    06-08-08 09:53 AM
    I'll leave the app running for awhile to let it catch hold then. How do I check to make sure it has access to the GPS?
    To double check, do this:
    - Options->Advanced Options->Applications
    - Scroll down to Sprint Navigation
    - menu->Edit Permissions
    - with the cursor on the Connections line, menu->Expand
    The Location (GPS) line should say Allow. If not, change it to Allow to allow Sprint Nav access to the internal GPS.

...Is there a way of copy and paste or other such method to transfer addesses and other such info from one app to another? I know you can click on phone numbers and links to call the number or visit web sites but I couldn't seem to find a method of transferring the address.
    Not usually. If the app supports it, I've often saved the app to my address book and then looked it up from there with the other app. Unfortunately, I couldn't find a way to make GMaps save the address into the Address Book for Sprint Nav to read. That seems odd as I thought GMaps used to have that function (on my 700p at least).
    06-08-08 12:39 PM
    tomvb2000,

The setting as by your direction is properly set already. Out of curiosity I changed locations from within my house and it pinpointed where I was exactly rather than placing me like a 1/2 mile away like I was seeing while at the PC. So there must have been some sort of interference with the GPS. I also find that searching for locations or plotting a route while at the pc results in google maps, BB maps and sprint nav returning an error indicating trouble gathering GPS info. Things appear to function normally outdoors in the car and when I'm away from where my pc is.
    06-08-08 02:32 PM
    Makes sense-good to hear it's resolved. GPS always works better outdoors because the low power signal doesn't penetrate walls real well (concrete and steel would be worse). I'd guess interference coming from the monitor may have been the culprit-especially if it was a CRT (and LCD probably not so much).

06-08-08 02:49 PM
    Wow I have been reading and recomending this page for about 6 months now. But this is the firest time that I am posting, so forgive me if I am not following proper procedure... )

Thank you so much for this!! I really will use this when I go to New Orleans in July. You folks ROCK!!!!
    06-15-08 11:30 AM
    Maybe my Verizon 8330 is different but the program works on my phone and it follows me as I travel.
    06-15-08 11:59 AM
40 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD