So i get my new curve from verizon, to passafy me for the bold to come out.

Verizon charges for IM?! Are there any ways around this? I downloaded the instango software (pretty cool) but im still getting charged text messages. Any ideas?
    07-23-08 04:32 PM
    Get an unlimited text plan. Plain and simple.
    07-23-08 04:35 PM
    Or get a data plan and Beejive IM.
    07-23-08 04:43 PM
    i have jive talk, and verizon... unlimited data $29.00, and from what i can tell.... no text charges for my IM chats.
    07-23-08 04:53 PM
    I use gtalk and bb messenger no charges for me. I do have unlimited data.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-23-08 05:06 PM
    Get an unlimited text plan. Plain and simple.

I'll second that.
    07-23-08 07:53 PM
    I thought IM used data and you can't get a BB from VZW without data plan.
    07-23-08 09:17 PM
    Yeah its stupid. Verizon counts I M as text messages.

More money For Verizon that way

Last edited by GrandMasterB; 07-23-08 at 09:32 PM.
    07-23-08 09:21 PM
    Yeah its stupid. Verizon counts I M as text messages.

More money For Verizon that way

Are you saying that if you use an IM client such as Jivetalk or webmessenger, that every IM message you send counts as a text message? That's news to me. It doesn't make sense if you have a data plan. I could understand if you were using a standard cell phone. My wife used to have a LG flip-phone and used Yahoo IM and each message she sent and received counted as a text because she didn't have a data plan. Can someone clarify this? This doesn't make sense to me.
    Last edited by axel2078; 07-23-08 at 09:41 PM.
    07-23-08 09:36 PM
    if you use bb messanger or jivetalk it only uses data no texts
    07-23-08 09:38 PM
    if you use bb messanger or jivetalk it only uses data no texts
    I would think this would hold true with any IM client. I use webmessenger and I'm not getting charged for texts. I just logged into verizon's site and checked my messages and it shows I've only sent 47 since last month. I've been using webmessenger a lot lately, so I know I can't be getting charged for that. It just doesn't make sense to get charged for IM messages if you have a data plan.
    07-23-08 09:43 PM
    JiveTalk is data only and is not capable of sending messages via text.
    07-23-08 09:58 PM
    Verizon hAs its own I'm interface for AIM, yahoo, and windows messenger. I think thru here you are using your allocated txts.

However, BB messenger, as well as the new yahoo messenger, and others typically use your data connection to send/receive messages.

07-23-08 10:02 PM
    I was not aware that the new Yahoo messanger used data not text, that's good news , but anyways, YES for AIM MSN Yahoo etc each message counts as a standard text.

As far as the others go - would be a good idea to check and make sure if they are using text or not before you get too carried away.

07-23-08 10:13 PM
    What IM client are you using? As some people said, some of the programs use text (just think, people have had AIM on their phones for a REALLY long time on normal phones, before smartphones and they were charged for texts instead of on a data basis).

If you use AIM, I'd see if sending text messages from aimexpress, online might circumvent that problem, though I haven't researched this so I don't even know if AIM express still exists. I'm aware of AIM express because it was a way of getting around corporate network restrictions. That's web based messages so it might work, if compatible with the BB browser, which like I said I haven't tried.

If I were you I'd get into gtalk and bb messenger. It's incredibly useful and uses data instead of text.

Hope this helps!
    07-24-08 12:06 AM
    Are you saying that if you use an IM client such as Jivetalk or webmessenger, that every IM message you send counts as a text message? That's news to me. It doesn't make sense if you have a data plan. I could understand if you were using a standard cell phone. My wife used to have a LG flip-phone and used Yahoo IM and each message she sent and received counted as a text because she didn't have a data plan. Can someone clarify this? This doesn't make sense to me.
    This only applies if you use the link on the Verizon WAP hompage and use their app. Third party apps work fine and just use the unlimited data.
    07-24-08 12:09 AM
    I do have unlimited data but not unlimited text.

The current chat client i have is instango which does google chat, yahoo and AIM (and more i just use these). This chat client uses tcp/ip only. However any messages i sent threw there get counted as a text message. I would imagine jive would count the same way.

Currently paying $80 a month for up to 50 chats. Its the principal for me, unlimited IM is $99, i dont use it that often.
    07-24-08 03:28 AM
    I use a Verizon curve and have no sms plan. I use beejive (jivetalk) and get charged nothing for sms. In fact my overall sms usage per month is zero.

Either instango is not truely tcp/ip or something else is wrong.
    07-24-08 04:06 AM
    This only applies if you use the link on the Verizon WAP hompage and use their app. Third party apps work fine and just use the unlimited data.

I wasn't even aware they had something like that on their WAP homepage. I'd rather use an actual IM client anyway. This does clarify things a bit. Thank you.
    07-24-08 08:06 AM
    ^^^Perhaps not all Third Party clients are free. It appears that it depends on how they send/receive messages. As long as the client uses TCP/IP and not the "SMS texting" technology, it should be covered under your unlimited data plan.
    07-24-08 09:10 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD