Greetings to all and I hope to earn my stripes in time here.

I just got my BB 8310 (AT&T). it is running the .110 OS but I will be upgrading it to the newest tonight.

My question is regarding the different messaging icons on the home screen. I setup both my Yahoo email (and the "Y" Icon is now present next to the standard MESSAGES icon) and my work email (a standard POP account). My work email also has a dedicated ICON to it, but messages from there also go into the default "messages folder" as well. Is there a way to separate them so they remain ONLY in there correct app folder? The Yahoo mails do NOT populate into the regular "messages" ICON as does my POP emails

My main problem is that those POP emails mix in with all the SMS texts I send and the log is VERY confusing. In fact, when I go to the standard app for SMS messaging, I have to change the folder view to "SMS INBOX" just to see them. I am hoping to have SMS and emails completely separate.

Is this possible?

-Thanks to all for your help
    06-04-09 09:33 PM
    By design, ALL messages go to the Messages Folder, as well as to their respective BIS inboxes. You can't turn this off. There is not a separate inbox for BES mail. BES only goes to the Messages Folder, where all the other mail also goes. So if you are on BES, there is no way to separate the Enterprise mail and the BIS mail. Some people choose to separate the SMS and email inboxes and hide the Messages folder. The other option (that I prefer) is to let the Message Folder be a one-stop-shop for all message traffic. I don't separate SMS and emails, and I hide the email inboxes. It's user preference, either way.

Here is a 3rd party app that will give you a BES mail box. I haven't used it. Empower your BlackBerry with HTML Email Viewer and BES MailBox
    06-04-09 09:38 PM
    Some people choose to separate the SMS and email inboxes and hide the Messages folder.
    So if I understand correctly, I CAN'T have the messages separate automatically.. but I CAN hide folders (such as email INBOX) within "Messages" since they have their respective icons separately fro each mail account?

What is the procedure for separating the SMS and hiding emails within MESSAGES as you indicated above?

Also, I am assuming BES means Blackberry Enterprise Service? Does a POP email account qualify as that? just wondering
    06-04-09 10:10 PM
    To separate SMS and Emails, go to Messages / Options / General Options / SMS and Email Inboxes: Separate

When combined, all emails and text messages will go to the Messages folder. Emails will appear in their separate inboxes as well.

When separated, you will get a new inbox for SMS messages. They will no longer appear in the Messages Folder. BIS emails will appear in the specific inboxes, and in the Messages Folder. BES Messages will continue to appear only in the Messages Folder.
    06-04-09 10:17 PM
    Thanks Jeff-

I have that part done. Now is it possible to make the SMS Inbox the default folder to open on entering "messages"? or can you explain how you "hide" your email folders as you mentioned in your first reply?
    06-04-09 10:24 PM
    I don't know any way to make the SMS Inbox the default folder in Messages. That may be because I am on BES. BIS users may have different options, but I don't recall reading that. To hide an email folder, just select the folder on your desktop, press Menu, and select Hide. That hides the folder on the desktop.
    06-04-09 10:30 PM
    Thanks Jeff-

I have that part done. Now is it possible to make the SMS Inbox the default folder to open on entering "messages"? or can you explain how you "hide" your email folders as you mentioned in your first reply?
    Just click on the SMS icon when you want to look at those messages and click on the icon for each individual email so all you see is those messages. That simple.
    06-04-09 10:44 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD