Hi everyone,

I just purchased my first Blackberry last night-- it's a Curve 8310 for AT&T Wireless. My friend had just purchased a new phone and she no longer wanted her old BlackBerry, so she sold it to me for only $45.

Anyway, I discovered that the phone was running on software version 4.2. So, I immediately downloaded the BlackBerry Desktop v. 4.6 for AT&T as well as the latest v. 4.5 software for the phone.

I started the software upgrade and initially everything was going well. While waiting for the upgrade to finish, I was plugging something in behind my desk and I accidentally "rocked" my desk slightly. Apparently, the rocking motion caused the connection between the phone and the computer to be interrupted for a split second.

As a result, I received a "fatal error" message in the BlackBerry Desktop program, and the software updated stopped. I tried restarting the update, but the phone would not accept it. I tried a second time, and this time the phone accepted the software update and the update eventually finished successfully. The phone works fine, though, the second attempt to install the O/S erased all data on the phone.

However, today I noticed that the phone likes to display the infamous white screen with the hourglass every so often. It does this a few times a day. Each time this occurs, the phone displays the white screen for a few minutes, then restarts and everything is fine.

So, what can I do about this white screen problem? Is it normal behavior? Should I reinstall the operating system? If so, how would I go about doing that? I tried digging around BlackBerry desktop and it doesn't give me an option of reinstalling the operating system-- it says that my software is up-to-date.

Thanks!
    04-20-09 11:51 PM
    04-20-09 11:54 PM
    Now it won't boot at all. When I attempt to boot it, it just gives me the white screen of death.

I'm going to give it another try and report back.

Thanks.
    04-21-09 12:33 AM
    there will be a couple second window that you have to work within.. just keep trying. this method has saved many of blackberries from certain death..
    04-21-09 12:37 AM
    No luck at all.

I'm at a loss, seriously. I think I'm going to try a different USB port.
    04-21-09 02:25 AM
    its happened to me with my 8320.

i was litteraly bout to die!

follow that guide real closely, u have a really short time frame to get it to work.

pay attention.
    04-21-09 02:30 AM
    I think the instructions say to try with the battery out of the phone first, then install the battery. Did you give that a go?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-21-09 02:31 AM
    Yes, step 2 says to try connecting to your BB with the battery out.

04-21-09 02:36 AM
    I think the instructions say to try with the battery out of the phone first, then install the battery. Did you give that a go?

Yes, I did try that.

Anyway, after trying to flash the blackberry for about 15 times, I gave up and went to bed. When I woke up this morning, it was working again.

Perhaps after the update, it just needed to sit at that white screen of death for a while?
    04-22-09 01:32 AM
    Actually, I just updated my 8330 to .138 and following that, my BB had the seemingly endless hourglass on the white screen.

I thought it was toast. As I prepared to do battle with it with the nuked BB process the BB came back to life and has been stable ever since. I attribute the extra long initial boot up to the fact that I did a wipe with JL Commander prior to reloading the OS.

Subsequent reboots have been normal...

04-22-09 01:40 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD