I just got a Blackberry Curve 8320. I love the phone and am excited to have it, but I have some questions that the associate at the store couldn't answer. When doing my research these forums were very helpful, so I thought I would ask my first couple of questions here.

First, what is tethering? Is that where you can hook the phone to a laptop and use it as a modem? Do you pay extra for that? I signed up for the Blackberry Unlimited plan from T-Mobile for $19.95/month. I am not sure if this includes tethering and couldn't find the answer on their website. Does anyone know if it does? Even if it doesn't I am still allowed to connect the Blackberry to my laptop and transfer files and applications with no extra charge right?

Second, I saw somewhere that if you want to use third-party applications you have to pay an extra fee. Is this true? Beyond any fee the third-party may charge for the application are you required to pay more to your service provider for use of third-party apps?

Third, I charged the phone last night. It was fully charged when I removed it and took it into the bedroom where it sat on the nightstand, in the wallet case but not on the charger. When I woke up this morning it was practically dead. Is this normal?

Any and all help will be appreciated! Sorry for the newbie questions, but I hope someone can help me out!

----EDIT

Wow! Thanks for all the quick replies

A few more questions that I have...

I did not sign up for the T-Mobile@home service. I am able to connect to my Wi-Fi router and the phone tells me I have a UMA connection, but even so, the calls are still going to use my minutes, right?

In the call log next to certain calls I see m's and w's in parenthesis. What do these mean?

Is there any way to change the applications on the quick launch bar on the home screen? I cannot seem to find out how to do this.

----Second Edit

A few more questions I had...

First, if I download applications or games, do I need to worry about things like viruses and whatnot?

Second, does the BB's memory ever need to be defragged or anything like that? I guess I am in a Windows mindset, but would like to know if these issues crop up on the phone as well.

Also, I was able to figure out my battery problem. Like the newbie that I am, I wasn't closing applications. I didn't realize that I needed to Anyway, when you leave the camera running it drains the battery right quick. After figuring that out, the battery is just fine. In fact, it is suprisingly long-lasting. I ran around 36 hours with no charge and still had 30% battery when I plugged it in.

Elader
    Last edited by Elader; 04-17-08 at 05:12 AM.
    04-14-08 02:11 PM
    Yes, tethering is when you hook it up to a laptop & use it as a modem. And since you have an unlimited, I'm not sure if you can use it for tethering - most carriers have an extra fee for that so call your service provider. Since you have the 8320, you should technically have WiFi on your device.

And as far as I know, I don't think you're supposed to be charged for use of a 3rd Party App - besides the monthly/yearly fee that the application might charge itself.

As for your dead battery, that's a bit odd. You might want to look into getting a new battery.

Welcome
    Last edited by mzshey2x; 04-14-08 at 02:24 PM.
    04-14-08 02:21 PM
    First, what is tethering? Is that where you can hook the phone to a laptop and use it as a modem? Do you pay extra for that?
    Yes, it's where you use your phone as a modem for a computer. I believe T-Mobile charges for this.

Second, I saw somewhere that if you want to use third-party applications you have to pay an extra fee. Is this true? Beyond any fee the third-party may charge for the application are you required to pay more to your service provider for use of third-party apps?
    Some developers charge either a one time fee or a subscription fee to use their apps. Some carriers also charge a fee. This really depend on the app. TeleNav is one of those apps.

Third, I charged the phone last night. It was fully charged when I removed it and took it into the bedroom where it sat on the nightstand, in the wallet case but not on the charger. When I woke up this morning it was practically dead. Is this normal?
    Make sure that you charge it well the very first couple of times. Charge it longer than normal. If it continues to be a problem then tell T-Mobile about it. Have them try a different battery first before exchanging the phone.
    04-14-08 02:24 PM
    does anyone know if you can purchase a soft trackball for your phone? 8310
    04-14-08 02:50 PM
    You can get a replacement from cnn.cn
    04-14-08 02:52 PM
    cnn.cn is that a website?
    04-14-08 02:54 PM
    Elader
    SNWilson02

Welcome to CB.
    Last edited by latina berry; 04-15-08 at 10:54 AM.
    04-14-08 02:56 PM
    Welcome to CB!!
    04-14-08 02:58 PM
    Welcome to CB!!
    Your avatar is bloody freaky.
    04-14-08 03:03 PM
    I just got a Blackberry Curve 8320. I love the phone and am excited to have it, but I have some questions that the associate at the store couldn't answer. When doing my research these forums were very helpful, so I thought I would ask my first couple of questions here.

First, what is tethering? Is that where you can hook the phone to a laptop and use it as a modem? Do you pay extra for that? I signed up for the Blackberry Unlimited plan from T-Mobile for $19.95/month. I am not sure if this includes tethering and couldn't find the answer on their website. Does anyone know if it does? Even if it doesn't I am still allowed to connect the Blackberry to my laptop and transfer files and applications with no extra charge right?

Any and all help will be appreciated! Sorry for the newbie questions, but I hope someone can help me out!

Thanks,

Elader
    1st-T-Mobile does not charge for tethering, it is all included in the unlimited plan.

2nd-Normally the only fee you pay is to purchase the 3rd party app-nothing to the service provider, some fees are monthly-navigation and some business apps that bring functionality to the phone

3rd-The battery issue is not normal, especially since the wallet usually puts the phone in standby mode which wouldn't drain the battery as much.
    04-14-08 03:14 PM
    Welcome to CB!!!!
    04-14-08 03:32 PM
    Welcome

for the tethering i am sure that Tmobile will make you pay for it.

For the charge, it happened to me the first time too , infact it wasnt blug well to the charger but it shows as fully charged. Just plug it back and it should work perfectly the next day . Otherwise definitly bring back during your policy return , i wont take any chances...
    04-14-08 04:03 PM
    Welcome

for the tethering i am sure that Tmobile will make you pay for it.

For the charge, it happened to me the first time too , infact it wasnt blug well to the charger but it shows as fully charged. Just plug it back and it should work perfectly the next day . Otherwise definitly bring back during your policy return , i wont take any chances...
    Bienvenido a casa!
    Last edited by latina berry; 04-15-08 at 10:50 AM.
    04-14-08 04:53 PM
    Welcome to the addiction and if you just got your bb I would just get a replacement the battery problem sounds really odd.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-14-08 04:56 PM
    Wow! Thanks for all the quick replies

A few more questions that I have...

I did not sign up for the T-Mobile@home service. I am able to connect to my Wi-Fi router and the phone tells me I have a UMA connection, but even so, the calls are still going to use my minutes, right?

In the call log next to certain calls I see m's and w's in parenthesis. What do these mean?

Is there any way to change the applications on the quick launch bar on the home screen? I cannot seem to find out how to do this.

Thanks again for the quick reply. I am already wondering how I have gone so long without a BB

Elader
    Last edited by Elader; 04-15-08 at 11:48 AM.
    04-15-08 11:25 AM
    Welcome to CB

When you say quick launch bar... I assume you mean when all the apps aren't showing.

The first 5-10 icons will be your quick launch items. I say 5-10, depending on your theme.
    04-15-08 12:33 PM
    I am able to connect to my Wi-Fi router and the phone tells me I have a UMA connection, but even so, the calls are still going to use my minutes, right?
    That is correct.

This is which phone number the contact called from. M for Mobile, W for Work, H for Home, and so on.

Move any icon to the top. The first 5 icons are what makes it on the main screen. Some third party themes do not support this though.
    04-15-08 12:35 PM
    tmo does not make u pay extra for tethering because its included in the unl bb plan. belive me i use it for 8hrs a day when i'm @ work w/ my laptop b/c they have half the internet blocked. if they did charge for it, i would be in serious debt. so as long as u have bb's unl data plan ur fine.
    04-15-08 12:58 PM
    what exactly is tethering now? i'm a nube sorry...what do you mean by using your phone as a modem? does this mean to pick up the wifi with the phone but actually browse the internet with the laptop for the bigger screen?
    04-16-08 01:02 AM
    I agree that tmobile does NOT charge for tethering. I am tethered for HOURS at a time with no extra charges.

04-16-08 02:11 AM
    Turrin,

Tethering is basically using your phone as a modem. So if you are in a location where you do not have access to wireless Internet, you can hook your laptop to your phone and use your cell data signal to access the Internet with your laptop. Most providers charge an extra fee on top of your data plan, but apparently T-Mobile does not.

There may be more to it, but that is my basic understanding of it.

Elader
    04-16-08 02:30 AM
    Welcome, now there is no turning back! ; )

04-16-08 03:28 AM
    Welcome to CB!

04-16-08 03:45 AM
    Welcome elader!
    Is that all the questions? I didn't get to answer any!

04-16-08 04:50 AM
    Welcome elader!
    Is that all the questions? I didn't get to answer any!

Actually I do have a couple more questions, Kickinit!

First, if I download applications or games, do I need to worry about things like viruses and whatnot?

Second, does the BB's memory ever need to be defragged or anything like that? I guess I am in a Windows mindset, but would like to know if these issues crop up on the phone as well.

Thanks again for all the help! I am really enjoying the phone so far

Elader
    04-17-08 05:10 AM
27 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD