Hey guys, I just recently got my first Blackberry, the Curve for Verizon.

I must say, the first day I got it, I played with it from like 4-10pm that night.

The question I have is that last night I went to bed with a full charge (from what I remember) and woke up with it almost all gone, what in the world happened?

Hope someone can help me find out why.

Thanks again.

Sonny.
    12-17-08 03:57 PM
    What kind of signal were you getting? Sometimes if the phone is getting a terrible signal it will eat the battery.
    12-17-08 04:02 PM
    You probably left some applications running in he backround and they were updating all night. Do you have Facebook installed on your BlackBerry?
    12-17-08 04:05 PM
    I do have the Facebook app, but I'm not sure about my signal strength, I think it was average.

Also, what's the best (status) way to keep the phone at night? Standby mode? or just let the screen go off on the phone?
    12-17-08 04:12 PM
    The reason i asked if you have Facebook is because there is several bugs with the application. From what i know it wants to constantly update and uses all data connectivity to do so. This is why people have stopped receiving e-mails, SMS, etc. I say remove the Facebook application until a new one has been released...
    12-17-08 04:17 PM
    I just put it on the cradle, let it charge, sounds like you had some things running,
    12-17-08 04:20 PM
    I'll get rid of the Facebook app, but the thing is, I wasnt logged into any of my apps (BeeJive, Yahoo, Myspace), so how do you tell what is running?
    12-17-08 04:22 PM
    As you stated you played with the phone for hours. Did you charge your battery ? Try this use your phone until it shuts off. Then charge it fully without touching it. You will have much better battery life.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-17-08 04:25 PM
    Haha, I did play with it for hrs BEFORE I charged it, So I dont know.

That's why I'm asking the experts..lol.

Is it better to charge the phone while it's totally off or while running?
    12-17-08 04:28 PM
    BB batteries do not like being run down like other phones batteries, dont do that, however, feel free to charge it whenever you get the urge, to top off if you will.
    12-17-08 04:30 PM
    I'll get rid of the Facebook app, but the thing is, I wasnt logged into any of my apps (BeeJive, Yahoo, Myspace), so how do you tell what is running?
    I'm a newbie, but I believe you can go to Application Launcher to see what apps are currently running.

Which begs a question for the experts... Are BB's like PCs in that all open apps chew up memory (and possibly extra battery juice), and we should be making an effort to actually CLOSE them when finished rather than just backing out with the BACK or CALL END keys?
    12-17-08 04:31 PM
    To see what is running, ALT and ESCAPE together, there are 5 always going to be running

browser, home, call log, messages and BBM, however I also have 3 more running all the time for the functionality of the phone (3rd party apps, vib and ring, peekawho and BBAlerts)

Make sure you are closing out of your other apps once done, Menu>close. Dont use the escape key (back key)
    12-17-08 04:34 PM
    I'm a newbie, but I believe you can go to Application Launcher to see what apps are currently running.

Which begs a question for the experts... Are BB's like PCs in that all open apps chew up memory (and possibly extra battery juice), and we should be making an effort to actually CLOSE them when finished rather than just backing out with the BACK or CALL END keys?
    Yea, that's the thing I HATED about my Moto Q, that you always had to actually close out the programs. With the iPhone, I never did that, so I HOPE I dont have to do this with the Curve.
    12-17-08 04:35 PM
    You do, always close apps out properly when finished with them...
    12-17-08 04:36 PM
    I do just that. When I sign out of whatever I'm using, I do hit the close button. So that should do the trick?
    12-17-08 04:41 PM
    Yea, that's the thing I HATED about my Moto Q, that you always had to actually close out the programs. With the iPhone, I never did that, so I HOPE I dont have to do this with the Curve.
    I'm part way through the BB 101 Lecture Series on this website, and one of the tips they had was to set one of your left or right convenience keys to Application Launcher. If you're like me and tend to forget that you've left other apps running, that's a way to make it easy to check periodically.
    12-17-08 04:41 PM
    Maybe I should check that out although, I have skimmed through the 101 classes.

How do you find out which applications are running? I know the ALT key, but dont know where the esc key or whatever the key is that the nice lady told me..lol
    12-17-08 04:44 PM
    It will become habit for you to close out of your apps properly...
    12-17-08 04:44 PM
    Maybe I should check that out although, I have skimmed through the 101 classes.

How do you find out which applications are running? I know the ALT key, but dont know where the esc key or whatever the key is that the nice lady told me..lol
    The ESC key is the one to the right of the trackball. You may think of it as the BACK key too.
    12-17-08 04:57 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD