Well, I haven't actually purchased my Blackberry but I plan to this week from Verizon... 8330!! Three questions:

1) Is there software that comes with the Blackberry so that I can sync and backup all of my data to my PC?? I currently use a Palm Zire and don't really use the computer software, except to backup my Palm data.

2) Is there a way to turn off emails coming to your Blackberry when you are sitting at your computer for 8 hours a day?? I think I would get frustrated having to read emails in two places all day long???

3) Is there an easy way to get my Palm data into my Blackberry?? Is this something the Verizon store could do??

Thanks!!
    Kim
    04-13-09 08:07 AM
    1. Your phone will come with a Disk for the Desktop Manager, which allows you to save all your data and transfer music and what not. I don't know the answers to 2 and 3.
    04-13-09 08:13 AM
    2) Is there a way to turn off emails coming to your Blackberry when you are sitting at your computer for 8 hours a day?? I think I would get frustrated having to read emails in two places all day long???
    Yes...you can turn off your incoming data.

3) Is there an easy way to get my Palm data into my Blackberry?? Is this something the Verizon store could do??
    Don't think so...will probably have to manually input it.
    04-13-09 08:46 AM

Wouldnt the emails just be delivered to the handset later in the day when data is reactivated?
    04-13-09 08:49 AM
    yeah, probably.
    04-13-09 09:00 AM
    Can you sync your palm data to outlook? You could sync it from outlook to the blackberry after that.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-13-09 09:02 AM
    yeah, probably.
    I think the best way to handle this would be either set up exceptions within the profile u use at work

(This will become apparent when you get your BB)
    If you have say, 3 mailboxes set up on your BB you can change the way youre alerted for each mailbox.

For example, if you wanted to be alerted for personal emails, just set it to alert in your chosen profile and for the work emails, set it to no alert.

This would still mean you physically have to reconcile on the handset though... but hey... keep diggin!!
    04-13-09 09:07 AM
    Blackberry is growing popular here in our country.
    04-13-09 09:26 AM
    Thanks everyone for your responses!!! I think I am just obsessing over the little details too much

How do you all personally handle incoming mail?? If you are at your computer reading emails... is your phone buzzing with the same emails??

Kim
    04-13-09 10:27 AM
    Thanks everyone for your responses!!! I think I am just obsessing over the little details too much

How do you all personally handle incoming mail?? If you are at your computer reading emails... is your phone buzzing with the same emails??

Kim
    It just comes. I have an app called PeekaWho that pops up when a new email arrives. One of the options is to just delete the email with out opening it. So if I hear an email arrive on my BB I just click the delete icon in PAW and move on. There's no real way to prevent emails from coming to your BB without deleting the email account.. Even if you turn off you mobile network, they will arrive when you turn the network back on. And of course, if you turn off the mobile network you will not receive phone calls.

Every day or so I just delete email.
    04-13-09 10:38 AM
    Well, I haven't actually purchased my Blackberry but I plan to this week from Verizon... 8330!! Three questions:

1) Is there software that comes with the Blackberry so that I can sync and backup all of my data to my PC?? I currently use a Palm Zire and don't really use the computer software, except to backup my Palm data.

Thanks!!
    Kim

I also have the 8330 from Verizon.

To answer all of your questions.

1) YES it comes with software to back it up on your PC. It comes with blackberry desktop software. It works well too.

2) Your email does NOT come to your phone if you are reading them on your computer. It actually knows if you are on the computer or not so it does not come to both places. For example if I'm sitting on the computer with my gmail account opened and see an email coming in my browser it will not come to my phone. But if I have the browser clicked off and one comes in, it will come to my phone. So it's smart that way. You won't have to read them in both places. It works only when you are away from the computer.

3) You can get the palm data onto your blackberry. If you have it on an sd card you can put it in the computer and put the files onto the desktop and then put them onto the sd card that's going into the phone. If both use the same microsd card just put the same card in there. If you have one of the older treos that uses a standard sd card then put it on the computer and transfer.

Another thing is, your contacts you may have to enter yourself. The reason for this, the gadgets they use to transfer your contacts they say they have problems with, with palm phones. Although sometimes it does workout.

Lastly, I was also a palm user. I had the centro and then upgraded to a treo and now upgraded to the blackberry 8330. The BlackBerry is by far a much better phone. It's easy to use, it's got a TON of features. A ton of support. I mean you can find a ton of free apps for the blackberry. You can find free wallpaper and a lot of free ringtones for it on this site we are on now.

There are also other sites and lots of support for it. I am very new to it so I'm still learning but just within the past few days I've learned a lot and I love this phone. You will love it.

You might miss the touch screen of the palm though. That's about the only thing I kinda miss. I'm not used to not touching the screen. But the rolling ball on the blackberry works so well I am satisfied.

The blackberry is lighter than even a palm centro. The keyboard is the best keyboard I've ever felt. I can type almost as fast as on a computer with it. It will take you a little while to learn how to do everything, going from palm to blackberry is a huge change. Somethings are hard to find at first but keep searching and you'll figure it out.

Another hint: Hold ALT and push L G L G and it'll bring up your log. It keeps your log of everything you do for people who want that but it takes up memory. hit the menu button and clear it. Do this often. Also the menu button works like it does on palm. It changes with each app you are using. If you hit the menu button on a text message it will be different than when you hit menu with the media app or myspace app.

Use your standby mode too. Hold the button on the top, the mute button, and it will go into standby.

Other than that it makes e-mail, facebook, myspace, checking the weather, and everything VERY easy. If you want a myspace app go to myspace.com on your phone and download it. The facebook app will come stock. I also downloaded the weatherbug app. It is free too and very useful.
    04-13-09 10:50 AM

Don't think so...will probably have to manually input it.
    I don't know about with other carriers but with verizon you do NOT need to turn off your data. Like I said in the previous post. If she keeps her browser open on her computer with her email in it then it will not come to her phone. If she closes it then it will.

Also I forgot to add in the last one. If you keep your browser closed and are worried about it coming to both, blackberry makes it easy to delete stuff. All you got to do is go to the date and hit menu and delete prior and it will clear it. You don't have to clear the text messages. They come to the same big inbox but you can hit menu and hit view folder and view them in different folders. For example, just go to the email folder and with one click you can clear them all out without even reading them.

Or you can clear out text and email at the same time. It'll take you a second to figure out. At first it appears as if you have to look at text, email and all in the same inbox but once you hit menu you can go into each folder. But having it in the same inbox as the main messaging screen helps a lot because it's all right there.
    04-13-09 10:54 AM
    Thanks for the informative response!! It makes perfect sense... it my email is downloading off the server and onto my computer... Blackberry won't download it... if my computer is off... my Blackberry will receive it

Kim
    04-13-09 02:33 PM
    Thanks for the informative response!! It makes perfect sense... it my email is downloading off the server and onto my computer... Blackberry won't download it... if my computer is off... my Blackberry will receive it

Kim
    Kindof...Depends on a few things. For example, I use web based. I don't use microsoft mail or anything like that. So if I got my browser clicked off but still have my computer on, it will go to my phone. But if I have the browser with email logged in open it won't go to my phone.

If you are using out look or something like that. If you got your microsoft mail open it won't go to your phone. If you got it closed it will.

It's pretty smart so it knows. It works the same with the myspace app. If you are online on your computer and you're looking at myspace and a new message comes in, it won't come to the phone.

Now, if you want to go to your e-mail and look at some sent messages or maybe your inbox because you want to reread something that's on your computer you'll have to go to your mails website on the browser on the blackberry. Because remember, if you were looking at it on the computer, it didn't come to your phone. So it won't be in your mail on your phone.

So just open up the browser on your blackberry and go to gmail.com for example and then log in and it will have the ones that was on your computer. The same with myspace and the myspace app.
    04-13-09 03:12 PM
    As far as switching devices, isn't there an option in the Desk Top Manager that will allow for that.

Switching Devices - It allows you to switch from one blackberry to another or from another type of device to a blackberry. I've never used it to switch from another type of device so I can't speak to how it works, I've only used it to exchange my information from one blackberry to another.

Please, someone correct me if I'm wrong on this one.
    04-13-09 03:28 PM
    yes and yes. you can turn off your data, but when you turn it back on you will receive all the emails that were waiting to hit your blackberry. Just like if you turned off your phone, when you turn it back on you will get all the txt's that you didn't get because your phone was off.
    The desktop manager has a "switch device" option. I think you can take info from the palm and put in on the bb.
    04-13-09 03:38 PM
    Good looking out with the ALT+LGLG
    04-13-09 03:42 PM
    Looks like you got all your answers in order here. Welcome to the crack. There are some threads on people "blocking" emails for certain periods of time around the forums. May want to do some searching and see what solutions they came up with as well.
    04-13-09 03:48 PM
    I don't think they want to block them. They didn't know that the Blackberry knew when you had the mail open on the computer. I didn't know that either until I got one myself.
    04-13-09 04:18 PM
    My company is running a Novell e-mail program (hopefully will soon be going to web-based format soon). For the Novell however, we get e-mails both on the computer and on the BB. It is kind of a pain, but they are easy to delete and you can easily tell which ones you read while on the computer, so you can just delete them without looking.
    04-13-09 08:50 PM
    Do good 2 weeks of reading on CB and you should be able to figure out most of the things.
    04-13-09 09:24 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD