So I just got my first BB and I'm a little overwhelmed. It's the Curve 8330. The manual it came with gives very little information, and I would really appreciate some insight from more experienced users. I know these are really basic questions, but I have been going crazy trying to figure them out.

A few questions, in no particular order:

When I press 1 to speed dial my voicemail, I don't want to have to input my password. How do I set this up?

When I launch the web, I just want to go to a browser, like Google. Is this a separate app I have to download?

The battery life seems to be really short. Do you turn it off at night? If you have the phone in standby mode, will it ring if a call comes through?

The call log only shows calls I made, not calls I received. Am I missing something? When I have missed calls, where am I supposed to go to see who they were from?

What is BB messenger? How is this different than texting?

What is the best mapping tool for directions?

Thank you!!!!!
    Last edited by oceanbaby; 08-27-09 at 01:48 PM.
    08-27-09 01:43 PM
    1. When looking at your Call Log screen hit the Menu key and choose Options, Voicemail. You can put your password in there

2. Only one question per post for me today... hurts my brain...
    08-27-09 01:54 PM
    This should answer some of your questions:

http://forums.crackberry.com/f2/blac...scussion-4716/
    08-27-09 01:54 PM
    08-27-09 02:02 PM

When I press 1 to speed dial my voicemail, I don't want to have to input my password. How do I set this up?
    with phone app open, Menu, Options, Voice Mail, enter your password, Save.

The battery life seems to be really short. Do you turn it off at night? If you have the phone in standby mode, will it ring if a call comes through?
    Use Standby Mode by pressing the Mute/Standby key. It will conserve on battery power, all calls and messages/alerts will still work.

It's a smartphone, which has a constant connection with RIM's servers. This always on connection drains the battery much faster than on a dumbphone.

Buy a desktop charging stand for your BB and leave it in the charging stand overnight. You can't overcharge your BB, it stops charging automatically when full. You can get the charging stand cheap from Amazon sellers. It also saves your usb charging port, which is a frequently damaged part on the BB, especially if you aren't careful plugging your chargers in.
    08-27-09 02:02 PM
    What is BB messenger? How is this different than texting? It's a blackberry to blackberry messaging program that's free and doesn't take away anything from your plan. If any of your friends have berrys (you will find some on here also) you can send endless messages to each other without any charges. I see someone already linked a bb101 tutorial. Good read

Welcome to Crackberry
    08-27-09 02:33 PM
    [QUOTE=oceanbaby;3448508]

When I launch the web, I just want to go to a browser, like Google. Is this a separate app I have to download?

QUOTE]

Go to Your Browser
    >Menu
    >Options
    >Browser Configuration
    >Home Page Address(All the way at the bottom) [Enter the address you want to use]
    08-27-09 03:51 PM
    The manual is basic that comes with the 8330, but there is a full manual found on the Desk Top Manager CD-ROM that came in your box...I have mine saved to my desktop.

Welcome aboard!
    08-27-09 04:10 PM
    You can also download the full manual by clicking here.
    08-27-09 04:52 PM
    Man you guys are good... The mapping question is which one came with your phone. Try it for a while and see if it works for you. Sprint has its nav app. Not sure what if any verizon provides you.

BB 101 is step by step to do most everything with your curve (no one reads it though)
    08-27-09 05:03 PM
    I figured out that the Sprint app is just TeleNav rebranded, so if you were in the market for a paid app such as this on another carrier, I'd definitely recommend looking into TeleNav.
    08-27-09 05:10 PM
    All of your questions can be answered on the help tab of CB. I will however help you with the battery issue. Most likely you are not properly closing your apps and since the bb is capable of multi-tasking they all stay open. This probably isn't that noticeable at first because you just bought it but eventually it will not only drain your battery but it will also slow down your phone. Either hit the button nxt to the end key to close an app or hit the bb key and go to close. Never hit the end (red) key unless you want to keep the app open. To check this, hit the bb key on the main screen and go to switch application to go through and close everything, however, there are a couple of apps that stay open permanently like bb msgr, phone, browser and other primary functions you can also hold alt and the back key (key nxt to end key) to actively switch through open apps for multi-tasking.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-27-09 07:36 PM
    You are all fantastic! Thank you thank you thank you.

I am one of those crazy people who will indeed probably read the whole manual, so I am off to do that now!
    08-27-09 07:59 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD