First, this site is great as a new user of a Blackberry it has been very helpful already.

Now on to my question and I will start out by saying I have some searching here and have not found an answer to my question so I apologize in advance if I am duplicating something I cannot find.

My question is, should my backlight be on all the time based on some application causing this? I had my BB for the first week or so with the Email / calendar not set up through the company enterprise server. I have loaded a facebook and FLickr application and activated the GPS application. Other than that it is out of the box. At first the screen / keyboard would time out and go black as it should. I know were the setting is to change the screen brightness and timeout length. I have it set to 20 seconds. Sometime recently I noticed that it does not ever go dark. I have checked the settings I know about and find no issues. The only change is the setup to the enterprise server that is now complete but I am not sure that the timing matches since I am not sure I noticed the screen staying on right away. I know the Enterprise server was set up for a few days before I noticed the screen issues but I may have just not noticed it as it is all new. Any ideas or pointers or other issues that a new BB user like me needs to be aware of with this. I would really like the screen to go dark to save battery life.
    02-17-09 08:00 AM
    Did you try a reset? If not, remove the battery while the device is powered on and wait a minute or so before putting the battery back in. This usually fixes any of those little pesky problems that don't make sense.
    02-17-09 08:06 AM
    The screen should go dark, based on your timeout settings unless... you are running some program that has it's own control of the backlight. Some GPS programs have this option. If you've done the battery pull and still have the problem I would consider taking the phone back under warranty.
    02-17-09 09:02 AM
    Thanks, you guys are now my HERO�S FOR A DAY.

Pulling the battery reset things and all is fine. If it happens again should I head to the store or is this �normal�. Thanks for the GPS pointer, that is the one application I had looked at since I figured that it may force the screen on so that tit would be usable driving. The option was not set and the application was not running, al least as much as I could tell.

THANKS AGAIN
    02-17-09 10:58 AM
    the backlight will automatically brighten if the light sensor (located in LED light) detects lots of ambient light.
    02-17-09 11:30 AM
    First, this site is great as a new user of a Blackberry it has been very helpful already.

Now on to my question and I will start out by saying I have some searching here and have not found an answer to my question so I apologize in advance if I am duplicating something I cannot find.

My question is, should my backlight be on all the time based on some application causing this? I had my BB for the first week or so with the Email / calendar not set up through the company enterprise server. I have loaded a facebook and FLickr application and activated the GPS application. Other than that it is out of the box. At first the screen / keyboard would time out and go black as it should. I know were the setting is to change the screen brightness and timeout length. I have it set to 20 seconds. Sometime recently I noticed that it does not ever go dark. I have checked the settings I know about and find no issues. The only change is the setup to the enterprise server that is now complete but I am not sure that the timing matches since I am not sure I noticed the screen staying on right away. I know the Enterprise server was set up for a few days before I noticed the screen issues but I may have just not noticed it as it is all new. Any ideas or pointers or other issues that a new BB user like me needs to be aware of with this. I would really like the screen to go dark to save battery life.
    I would suggest doing a battery pull.
    02-17-09 12:19 PM
    Thanks, you guys are now my HERO�S FOR A DAY.

Pulling the battery reset things and all is fine. If it happens again should I head to the store or is this �normal�. Thanks for the GPS pointer, that is the one application I had looked at since I figured that it may force the screen on so that tit would be usable driving. The option was not set and the application was not running, al least as much as I could tell.

THANKS AGAIN
    It's not normal for the backlight to lock "On" like that so if it happens again I would certainly consider a warranty replacement. Berries tend to be moody at times and do things that don't make much sense so if the "pull" doesn't fix it then you probably have a bigger problem.
    02-17-09 01:10 PM
    I had the same problem on my 8330. Found out it was because on a game app I had set it to backlight always on. I thought this would only apply to the game, but it doesn't. Even when I would check my "options>settings" it was on like 60 second. The game option overrides your actual phone setting.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-12-09 12:45 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD