Hello all, newbie here.

Wife needs computer wireless internet for her laptop. I just bought my first BB Curve, 3G, unlimited text but no data plan yet. Phone is smokin', where have I been?

Option 1:
    Use BB with data plan (to be added if this is the best option) to link laptop to internet.

Option 2:
    Go to AT&T (ughhh) and get USB wireless modem and contract for 24 months (ughhhh)

Option 3:
    Go to Cricket and get modem for $39/mo no contract (any connectivity issues?)

Any and ALL advice welcome... need to do something today (Friday).

Thanks in advance to all the helpful advice.

John
    02-13-09 08:11 AM
    Okay, cricket is out, too spotty coverage.
    AT&T is $51/mo for card with two year plan, $51/mo to add data and tethering plan to phone.. hmm. suggestions?
    02-13-09 10:22 AM
    Too late probably, but TMO has unlimited data/tethering for $19.99/mo. Is it too late to cancel your contract?
    02-13-09 10:30 AM
    With Sprint, as long as you have an unlimited data plan, you can tether your phone as a modem for free -- no additional charges. Just download the Sprint Smartview software and bam, you're done. One thing to note though, this method does not give you the fastest possible speeds -- maxes out at about 700kbps download
    02-13-09 11:01 AM
    Whoever said that your 8310 was 3G fed you false information. The only BB from ATT with 3G is the bold. Your best bet would be to get the card to take advantage of 3G speeds.
    02-13-09 11:10 AM
    chadec, where do you get this card to take advantage of 3G speeds? is it an external device that plugs in, or how does it work? got a link with more info?

I am going to buy a Curve 8330 and would like to be able to use it as a modem for my laptop as well. (I might consider a different blackberry to take advantage of 3G speeds if its not easily/cheaply possible to do with the 8330)

Thanks
    02-14-09 12:16 AM
    I have a VZW curve 8330 and use vzw broadband wireless connection sometimes through my phone... i have the unlimited data plan...i think its about $50
    02-14-09 11:44 PM
    How do you find the speed for surfing?

do you have the adapter for 3G? or what do you mean by the "vzw broadband wireless connection" ? Connector to connect your phone to your computer, or #G adapter, or what?
    02-14-09 11:55 PM
    Too late probably, but TMO has unlimited data/tethering for $19.99/mo. Is it too late to cancel your contract?
    TMO service has been very spotty in Savannah, Ga since Nov. 4, 2008.

Just go a Cricket Wireless Broadband Card it works quite well in Savannah. 700kbps down. 350kbps up.
    04-16-09 05:05 PM
    I use my verizon curve as a modem daily for school and business use. I love it.
    04-16-09 05:22 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD