New Blackberry owner's problem with address book.

I use the PIM Time and Chaos, which syncs address book etc. with the Curve via CompanionLink. Phone numbers don't sync unless they have one of 8 particular labels (e.g. Home, Alt Home, Work, Cell) that are mapped to match fields on the Blackberry. Use a different label and the # doesn't sync.

What I was doing in syncing with an Ipod Touch with the same s/w was using words *after* the phone number to identify the odd numbers that don't fit standard categories. So under "Alt Home" I put "(518) 555-2222 Great Grandma" and all that would sync to the Ipod. That won't work with the Blackberry, as it interprets the letters as numbers to dial, and thus calling from the address book does not work (and it screws up formatting on the Blackberry as well).

Any ideas on a workaround?
    07-19-08 11:29 AM
    I used to do that, too. The only way I found was to just create a contact titled "Great Grandma" and put the number in the home field. You get a few extra contacts, but you can be as descriptive as you need to be.
    07-19-08 07:32 PM
    Just hit the alt button, that'll do it
    07-19-08 07:34 PM
    Welcome to Crackberry Doug.

Just hit the alt button, that'll do it
    That'll do what, exactly? His problem is that it's translating the letters into numbers to be dialed, which is what holding the Alt button while dialing does.
    07-19-08 07:41 PM
    Exactly. What I'm trying for now -- which is inelegant but seems to work - is to use a judiciously placed pause. For example:

Alt Home: 518-555-2222 ,Grandma Rose

At least in my testing, the single pause is long enough that Verizon makes the connection and short enough that the extra tones engendered by "Grandma Rose" when the # is dialed from the address book precede the person I'm calling picking up.

We'll see if that works universally.
    07-20-08 01:50 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD