This is probably a dumb question---but there is an issue with which I have never dealt and I need help.

Our contract ends in December. My 8330 is really acting up and can't be fixed. I have been hoping to nurse it along for a bit but may lose patience.

I do not want to extend our contract---we may switch providers---and I don't want to pay $300 for getting out of our contract early.

Questions:
    1. My husband has an 8330 as well. It is working fine---he would be fine with me taking his phone. Can I get my number assigned to his phone? If so, then what do I do about getting him another phone? He does not need a BB--he could use something else for the rest of the year until we redo our contract.

I have never bought a phone other than purchasing one at Verizon and having the contract extended so this is new territory for me.

2. Two of our kids are having issues as well. Can we look for replacement phones for them as well (they are not BBs) on eBay or somewhere?

How do we get them activated?

Again, my biggest issue is that I don't want to extend the contract---just want to get by until December.

Thanks for your help.
    03-11-10 09:29 PM
    You can purchase Verizon branded phones anywhere, eBay, Craigslist, relatives, friends, etc. As long as the ESN/MEID numbers are clean (not reported lost or stolen, not on a delinquent acct) you can activate them without extending your current contract.

You can activate them using the online website, or call customer service. You will not be charged an activation fee using the online method, but you may get charged per line using customer service or going to a Verizon store to activate the phones.
    03-11-10 09:45 PM
    Thank you so much for the info. I appreciate it! Now I have to hunt for phones!
    03-11-10 09:47 PM
    Your husband's BB can be transferred to your number using the online "activate my phone" link at verizonwireless com if you have an account sign-in setup. Just enter his ESN/MEID number in and follow the directions.
    03-11-10 09:48 PM
    Great. Thanks for the info.
    03-11-10 09:51 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD