I'm experiencing some problems (again) with my 4.5.0.81 on my Tmo 8320... this happened a few months back.

basically, I'm having memory leak problems as well as back up issues (getting error messages that the back up couldn't be completed). I'm not sure what's causing this. I had this issue back in December and I ended up having to wipe my device and reload from scratch. When I reloaded the .81 on my curve, it would reset at about 24mb with little memory leak and would complete back ups successfully. Now it's been resetting at 20mb and would drain down to 16/15 after a few hours, hold steady there for a bit then drop to the low teens.. and this morning it was at 9mb. so it's definitely on the decline.

I don't have many apps... I have the CB launcher, Twitterberry, Sudoku, accuweather, bb alerts, and some themes I bought.

Anyway, I'm not sure what the deal is. it is Tmo's official release so it's not some weird vendor issue.

so what does anyone suggest? i'm pretty sure it's gonna have to be me wiping my device again. I'm not too thrilled about losing the stuff I purchased. Also, is there a better OS for the 8320? I don't want to be bothered with reloading my OS after wiping it every few months.

needless to say, I'm fed up. thanks to anyone who can offer advice.
    02-26-09 12:03 PM
    Not sure about the leak but I may have a suggestion for the backup issue, try clearing your browser cache before doing the backup.
    02-26-09 12:05 PM
    If you are using the "official" TMO .81 OS, I suggest trying another one. The .124 OS in the sticky thread is very stable.

I had pretty good success with the non-TMO .81, but when I replaced with the TMO version I had a ton of memory leak issues. I have since upgraded twice and I'm having much better results.
    02-26-09 12:10 PM
    Not sure about the leak but I may have a suggestion for the backup issue, try clearing your browser cache before doing the backup.
    i did that per one of my bbm contacts request.. it looked like it was gonna work but then it errored out at Key Store Options. idk what that is.
    02-26-09 12:33 PM
    I think switching the OS will complicate your problem, we should be able to sort this out.

(getting error messages that the back up couldn't be completed). I'm not sure what's causing this. ...
    This is the first thing, it means you have a corrupt data base and the backup can not be completed.

The next step is identifying the culprit. Look for a database name when it fails.

If it is the Content Store, you can reset that without loosing any function. If it is in your saved messages or contacts, you many have to roll back to the last good backup.

Options / Status, Menu / Database Sizes will let you inspect what is on our Curve.

Use Advanced Restore from BlackBerry Desktop Tools to correct the problem.

02-26-09 01:47 PM
    If you are using the "official" TMO .81 OS, I suggest trying another one. The .124 OS in the sticky thread is very stable.

I had pretty good success with the non-TMO .81, but when I replaced with the TMO version I had a ton of memory leak issues. I have since upgraded twice and I'm having much better results.
    i was wondering if anyone else had issues with the tmo official release.. i think i'll try the .124. thank you!
    02-26-09 02:18 PM
    I think switching the OS will complicate your problem, we should be able to sort this out.

This is the first thing, it means you have a corrupt data base and the backup can not be completed.

The next step is identifying the culprit. Look for a database name when it fails.

If it is the Content Store, you can reset that without loosing any function. If it is in your saved messages or contacts, you many have to roll back to the last good backup.

Options / Status, Menu / Database Sizes will let you inspect what is on our Curve.

oh ok! thanks i'm gonna try this now! thank you!
    02-26-09 02:19 PM
    Also themes take up quite a bit of space. So try removing some that you don't use more than others.
    02-26-09 02:22 PM

it's stopping at different names.. first it was browser cache. i cleared that in advanced options on DM. then it stopped at key store options.. then voice activated dialing.. i did have this issue with this before a few months ago. i'd restore the names it stopped on from my last back up but it just kept going down the list.
    02-26-09 02:23 PM
    Also themes take up quite a bit of space. So try removing some that you don't use more than others.
    i have deleted all but 4 (the ones i paid for). i can't back anything up and i don't want to delete ones i paid for that i'll use in a month or two.

thanks for helping everyone! this is very frusterating! haha
    02-26-09 02:25 PM
    I have to agree with some of the others that your "themes" may just be your culprit here. I know you don't wanna delete them bc you paid for them. What you may be able to do is contact those vendors and let them know what's happened and be able to dl them again. If you can't even perform a backup then I would try and delete the most recent theme you put on. If it's just recently started doing this again the latest theme might have screwed it up. Which of these apps have you recently dl if any? That also could be your prob. I don't know if the other OS is gonna fix your issue though. Hopefully we can get this issue fixed and get ya back on track soon.
    02-26-09 11:07 PM
    I have to agree with some of the others that your "themes" may just be your culprit here. I know you don't wanna delete them bc you paid for them. What you may be able to do is contact those vendors and let them know what's happened and be able to dl them again. If you can't even perform a backup then I would try and delete the most recent theme you put on. If it's just recently started doing this again the latest theme might have screwed it up. Which of these apps have you recently dl if any? That also could be your prob. I don't know if the other OS is gonna fix your issue though. Hopefully we can get this issue fixed and get ya back on track soon.

ok! thanks! i'm gonna try that.. i'm pretty sure if, for some reason, if it's not the themes, i could contact the developers and redownload them. and the newest app was accuweather, i believe.

thanks for your help
    02-27-09 01:10 AM
    IF you follow the "Backup 3rd Party Apps" procedure, you can create a backup that contains all the themes you want to save. You can use the back to restore individual themes.

After you find the PIN file and copy it to a safe location, rename something like 022809ThemeBackup, for future reference.
    02-27-09 06:57 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD