So I bought a used 8320, my first BB ever, and it came preloaded with OS 4.5.0.18 . So I've never even seen the normal 4.2. Is there much of a difference asthetically? I mean I know there is no video camera, and I know the address book changed and a few more things, but are the text styles, menus etc the same? I'm asking because I think I need to downgrade. I'm experiencing memory leaks (all SMS and call logs) not to mention I keep getting error messages & frozen screens when I go to my pictures folder and try to click the device memory folder.

So basically I don't really need anything too fancy, and I seem to be technologically impaired when it comes to BBs, so in your opinions should I just downgrade back to the normal 4.2? Im using the zen theme on my BB currently, and really I don't have much need for all the new things since I'm just a college student w/ no business needs....
    05-17-08 02:32 PM
    Yes, you probably should but please read this http://forums.crackberry.com/f52/fir...p-error-36440/ first. We have only just got this one working again.

Also check this out. http://forums.crackberry.com/f79/hel...50/#post325090.

It still does not work.

We have all been bizzee trying to make members phones actually make and receive calls.

If you want to downgrade the i/We will help you if you wish.

Being 'just a student' makes no difference. You chose a Blackberry because you felt that it met you needs as a phone - just as I did and I am 62 years old. You need you phone to do the things that you need your phone to do. I don't use IM and JiveTalk. If I wanna do YouTube then I do it on my laptop PC. I bet that we'd both hate each other music too but I also bet that we both play it far too loud.

Sure, I'm in. I'll help. One thing though, I'm in Europe and it's nearly 10:00PM here so I'll be off to bed in a couple of hours.
    Last edited by Pete6; 05-17-08 at 02:48 PM.
    05-17-08 02:42 PM
    Good thing I am a third of the way around the Planet to pick up the thead. When I check out, look for Auzzies to be starting their day.

You should know, the software installed on your phone is a pre-release test copy. I would strongly advise returning to the base T-Mobile OS, v4.2.180 and making your 'berry work properley.

You will see some minor changes, nothing that will make you regret back to a Certified system.

When the time is right, the mid-life refresh will be released. When it does, it will work.
    Last edited by Stoner; 05-17-08 at 03:22 PM.
    05-17-08 03:18 PM
    Are there many differences between 4.2 and 4.5?

I read the threads, makes me a bit nervous with all the complications it seems are involved Is it really as complex as it seems? I'm good with computers, but I haven't been able to learn much about blackberries with only a weeks experience...

I'm the same with IM and youtube. I'm a Rogers customer in Canada and it would first of all make large data bills, not to mention I also just use them on my laptop...
    05-17-08 03:20 PM
    Let's get on with it then.

Prerequisites are that you have:
    - Desktop Manager 4.3 installed.
    - 8300 OS v4.2.2.184 OS installed from here http://forums.crackberry.com/f52/new...2-184-a-18387/.
    - No other OSs installed.
    - Do a Backup
    - Unzip the file I have attached but don't run it until you have connected your phone to a USB port on your PC and not via a USB hub. Don't run Desktop Manager.
    - Double click on MaxMem and the upgrade will begin automatically.
    05-17-08 03:35 PM
    K i'm on a different laptop (since I was on a Mac originally, being on windows seems a lot simpler for this) so I'm just downloading everything.

Now first stupid question, how do you do a backup? Lol I swear I'm not usually this bad at this....once I get going I'll be fine...
    05-17-08 04:03 PM
    Pete, the OS version you posted is 8300, not the 8320 device. Must be getting late in your time zone.

DeviceDownloads

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by Stoner; 05-17-08 at 04:15 PM.
    05-17-08 04:06 PM
    I hope everything works out for you it seems like these guys are on it. Welcome to CB.
    05-17-08 04:14 PM
    K i'm on a different laptop (since I was on a Mac originally, being on windows seems a lot simpler for this) so I'm just downloading everything.

Now first stupid question, how do you do a backup? Lol I swear I'm not usually this bad at this....once I get going I'll be fine...
    After you install BlackBerry Desktop Manager you will have Backup / Restore in the program.

Connect your Curve using a mini USB cable. It should be recognized by DM and it will automatically suggest doing a backup.
    05-17-08 04:17 PM
    Pete, the OS version you posted is 8300, not the 8320 device. Must be getting late in your time zone.

DeviceDownloads

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    You are right. Thank you. MaxMem is set right she just needs to d/l the right OS for her phone. MaxMem needs 8320 OS v4.2.2.184 from the top of this forum. It's the only version thatI tested with.
    Last edited by Pete6; 05-17-08 at 04:24 PM.
    05-17-08 04:19 PM
    Madison, I made a mistake with the software I asked you to download. Stoner just pointed it out.

You neeed to download the software for the 8320 phone which is here http://forums.crackberry.com/f52/new...2-184-a-18385/

The first part of the download is in French but the softeware itself is in English.

I am sorry about this - really.
    05-17-08 04:22 PM
    Okay I'm starting to download the desktop manager (sorry computer issues).

I'm nervous and I don't know why lol! How identical are 4.2 and 4.5 looks wise. Any of you on 4.2, would you look and see if you have hte option for the font "BBAlpha Sans" under options -> screen/keyboard --> font family.

Any other major differences before I make this jump?
    05-17-08 04:23 PM
    Did you read my last message about the OS error that I made?

It's kinda important.
    05-17-08 04:25 PM
    Madison, I made a mistake with the software I asked you to download. Stoner just pointed it out.

You neeed to download the software for the 8320 phone which is here http://forums.crackberry.com/f52/new...2-184-a-18385/

The first part of the download is in French but the softeware itself is in English.

I am sorry about this - really.

Oh thats okay! Am I going to lose the T-Mobile boot up screen & theme since this looks like its for Orange service?
    05-17-08 04:26 PM
    rem 8320 ************
    set rimos=8320-v4.2.2.184_P2.5.0.40

T-Mobiles package is:

8320-v4.2.2.180_P2.5.0.36
    05-17-08 04:26 PM
    Yeah but it takes out Vendor.xml.

Wait and see what she downloads and I can change the bat file.
    05-17-08 04:27 PM
    Oh thats okay! Am I going to lose the T-Mobile boot up screen & theme since this looks like its for Orange service?
    No, the phone will look the same. It is just a slightly later version of the OS than T-Mobile puts out. Stoner was, quite rightly, pointing you towards the official T-Mobile release. I just went for the latest released revision on this forum.

Where you at?
    05-17-08 04:37 PM
    I am having serious computer issues, I can't get past downloading stupid blackberry desktop manager!!!

I need to figure someothing out since this is an old laptop (like I said I'm a Mac girl lol) so I don't know how long this will take....

I'll post again when I get everything working and if your on I will have everything set up. If your going to bed soon no worries I can wait until tomorrow for sure I'm sorry though!!!
    05-17-08 04:42 PM
    The Blackberry site is very slow for downloads. This trick cannot be done on a Mac. I am off to bed soon-ish but Stoner and others are around. Just do what they suggest.

Maybe tomorrow. Good luck.
    05-17-08 04:45 PM
    The Blackberry site is very slow for downloads. This trick cannot be done on a Mac. I am off to bed soon-ish but Stoner and others are around. Just do what they suggest.

Maybe tomorrow. Good luck.

Yes unfortunately Thats why I had to switch to a windows laptop currently.

I finally got the device manager to download, and now it won't connect to my blackberry so I'm playing around with that. (well it will connect to the computer but wont let me backup/synch/just connect in general to desktop manager). Sooo I'm trying to fix that now
    05-17-08 04:52 PM
    Your work is done for the night Pete, we should have all the prep work done when you wake up.

First step has been accomplished. Desktop Manager should be showing your PIN number at the bottom.

If not, Options / Connection Settings. Set it to USB and select "Detect".

If things are really slow on your computer, you may have installed Roxio Media Manager, part of the default installation.

When it starts up, it can really bog things down until it has built it's indexes.

Fortunatly, that is easy to correct. Go the Windows Control Panel and select Add / Remove programs. Choose BlackBerry DeskTop Manager and un-select Roxio MM. That will reinstall without the MM slowing it down.
    Last edited by Stoner; 05-17-08 at 05:42 PM.
    05-17-08 05:34 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD