following the useful 101 guide, I am freeing up mem removing unwanted apps and what not.

while using destop utility instructions say:Navigate to C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\Shared\Loader Files\xxx\Java

firstly, I am technical. The "shared" folder is not in there (jpeg attached)

Thanks
    02-12-09 07:10 AM
    Wow! That is strange, what DM are you using? I just checked my DM 4.6 and I have a shared folder along with the others that you have in your file.

You may want to delete that DM and download the newest one from Blackberry and install it. That's the only thing I can think of. I would only download DM 4.6 w/o media manager as that is the one that people are having less problems with. Apparently DM 4.7 if for newer phones like the Bold. The most stable DM for us is the 4.6.

Thank you for reading the lecture series and all before asking for help That is always a plus for those of us trying to help!

Good luck!

~Jazzi~

02-12-09 10:02 AM
    <edit> misunderstood... ill try the 4.6 w/o media

thanks for the reply...

4.3 ..... hoping someone with the same chimes in to varify... mabye my choice of title words would of helped???

totally read as much as I can, come from WM devices and over the years found all information is here, just have to be patient.....

Thanks again
    Last edited by TedStriker412; 02-12-09 at 10:29 AM.
    02-12-09 10:27 AM
    Do you have an OS installed on the PC. I'm checking my directories now. I don't have an OS installed on my work PC and I don't see the shared folder.
    02-12-09 10:34 AM
    <edit> misunderstood... ill try the 4.6 w/o media

thanks for the reply...

4.3 ..... hoping someone with the same chimes in to varify... mabye my choice of title words would of helped???

totally read as much as I can, come from WM devices and over the years found all information is here, just have to be patient.....

Thanks again
    Your welcome, you can always uninstall your current DM and reinstall the DM 4.3 and hopefully you will get the shared folders.

Your title was fine and you are doing great! Personally I am brand new to BB since after Thanksgiving and this is my first smart phone I have learned a lot since I got it. Even bricked it a couple of times....oops!

Are you running low on memory or anything, is that why you are doing the memory optimization or is it just maintenance? CrackMem is a great free program for memory optimization. You can get it HERE

You could try that, I love it personally and use it all the time.

~Jazzi~

02-12-09 10:37 AM
    Do you have an OS installed on the PC. I'm checking my directories now. I don't have an OS installed on my work PC and I don't see the shared folder.
    Great point wnm, didn't even think of that I guess I assumed that there was an OS on the computer. I should know better *sigh*

~Jazzi~
    02-12-09 10:39 AM
    Great point wnm, didn't even think of that I guess I assumed that there was an OS on the computer. I should know better *sigh*

~Jazzi~
    My folder list matches the OP's image.
    02-12-09 10:44 AM
    hmm? well to get you both up to my point.. got phone tuesday, installed DM that came in box, hooked up the phone and backed it up.

not sure i understand the OS question???

i'm not running low on memory but i really like to get down and dirty with any device and tweak it to it's fullest... so, it may not need it now, but learning now makes it easier down the road..

i will try your program next, i installed Quickpull (anything like that?)
    02-12-09 10:46 AM
    what OS are you running on your phone?

if you download the OS files (the .exe) and install them on your computer, that is what they mean by having the OS on your PC.

or if you want to upgrade the OS, install whatever OS you want on your PC, run crackmem (or remove modules manually, whichever), and then you can open the DM, and update your BB!

i woudl install DM 4.6 w/o media manager beforehand
    02-12-09 11:07 AM
    4.5.0.77 on phone now... was about to upgrade to 4.5.0.131 but noticed its for sprint.... tried to post link but need 10 and this makes 9.... not gonna cheat
    02-12-09 11:20 AM
    i jsut updated to .124 and i havent had any issues with it. i did a clean install, and ran crackmem before loading the OS onto my BB and its been pretty good so far
    02-12-09 11:21 AM
    4.5.0.77 on phone now... was about to upgrade to 4.5.0.131 but noticed its for sprint.... tried to post link but need 10 and this makes 9.... not gonna cheat
    OS's are device specific, so it doesn't matter who the carrier is. Do do the memory optimization techniques, you have to install the OS in windows. If you are planning on upgrading take a look at CrackMem:http://forums.crackberry.com/f35/cra...eleased-52044/ It's a first start to optimizing device memory.
    02-12-09 11:30 AM
    First, thank you to all of you who have chimed in..

This is how i understand:

upgrade DM to 4.6

upgrade to .131 (carrier no matter) to PC first..

Delete vendor.exe before installing to phone.

simple enough. I have followed back up for 3rd party apps and completed correctly..

when it's all said and done, much easier than windows mobile software upgrades....

thanks again....

Striker out
    02-12-09 11:55 AM
    I am so glad that we were able to help Sounds like you will have no problem getting it done. I know when I first got my phone it never occurred to me that I would need to install the OS to my computer. My husband is a software engineer and even he was by that and still is. LOL

One helpful hint....keep CrackMem in mind for upgrading, it will delete the vendor file and everything. It can be found HERE It is great for memory optimization too, including removing the vendor file. I use it all the time.

Again Welcome to Crackberry, I'm sure you will enjoy it here and knowing that you have read so much info here to learn will definitely make things easier.

~Jazzi~

Last edited by Jazzi-Rocks; 02-12-09 at 12:22 PM. Reason: Added Info
    02-12-09 12:18 PM
    I only saw the shared folder after installing the OS on my PC from the vendor website.

Needed to alter a file to unlock all the themes available, not just the Blackberry and Verizon ones. But back to the point, you should see the shared folder after installing the OS to your PC
    02-12-09 12:26 PM
    First, thank you to all of you who have chimed in..

This is how i understand:

upgrade DM to 4.6

upgrade to .131 (carrier no matter) to PC first..

Delete vendor.exe before installing to phone.

simple enough. I have followed back up for 3rd party apps and completed correctly..

when it's all said and done, much easier than windows mobile software upgrades....

thanks again....

Striker out
    Glad we could help. Good luck.
    02-12-09 01:24 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD