I now this is weird, but my house keepers daughter is constantly on her phone texting and talking while she's here.. I asked her politely to stop (i am paying her hourly) but I keep catching her. I realy dont want to fire her, I have known her since she was little, and I am trying to keep her busy some days for the summer.. her mom talked with her about it, but lets face it, texting is like a disease now a days.. (myself incuded). I am looking for a way to temporarily disable her phone while she's here.. so she can get her work done, than text all day if she wants.. I am not looking to buy a jammer.. I only need it about 3 hours a day twice a week.. any ideas? maybe a program that puts her phone to sleep? drains the battery quickly?

also something she wont be able to detect..!!!

I cant wait to see the look on her face when she figures out she has no signal, or cant text. btw, its a tmobile curve
    My wallet thanks you!

I don't know if anyone asked this or not but do you text at work? This thread seems really extreme, illegal and a little elitist. I say if the job still gets done right and you only catch her once in a while let it go. 99% of this forum can't go 3 hours without looking at their Berry why should this girl be any different. Karma Baby Karma.
    06-04-09 06:57 AM
    I don't know if anyone asked this or not but do you text at work? This thread seems really extreme, illegal and a little elitist. I say if the job still gets done right and you only catch her once in a while let it go. 99% of this forum can't go 3 hours without looking at their Berry why should this girl be any different. Karma Baby Karma.
    i agree, i text at work...
    06-04-09 07:32 AM
    i agree, i text at work...
    Yea this really just seems like someone trying to have a power trip and it is really unfortunate. If everyone that texted these days at work got fired than we would have no 16 year olds to serve us food or bag our groceries.
    06-04-09 07:46 AM
    I work in a production facility and ANY use of a cell phone on the facility floor is grounds for immediate termination. I'm sure texting isn't allowed while working the cash register at taco bell if he gives her an occasional break to check her phone is it all that unreasonable to expect her to abstain from texting for a 2 hour period until her next break?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-04-09 07:54 AM
    Not that I think you are creepy OP, but if you really think about it

A young, 16 year old girl (?) alone in your house with you, and you are trying to block her cellphone signal . That can be seen as if you are trying to do something wrong to her and blocking her from calling the police.

A little freaky, like I said don't take it personal but none of us knows you personally, but as you can see everybody tried to help you thinking the best but you might need to take that view into account.

Doing what you asked is quite illegal and you can face federal charges
    06-04-09 08:04 AM

No one asked if he does, because it's entirely irrelevant to the discussion. What he does or doesn't do is not the issue. He is an employer, and he has concerns about what his employee is doing with paid time. Full stop.

Two wrongs don't make a right, nor do many. What he does during working hours is between his employer and him. If he does it without his employers permission, it's wrong. But it doesn't make her doing it right.
    06-04-09 08:07 AM
    I work in a production facility and ANY use of a cell phone on the facility floor is grounds for immediate termination. I'm sure texting isn't allowed while working the cash register at taco bell if he gives her an occasional break to check her phone is it all that unreasonable to expect her to abstain from texting for a 2 hour period until her next break?

I am sorry but your name pretty much says all we needed to know about how you feel regarding this thread.
    06-04-09 08:15 AM
    No one asked if he does, because it's entirely irrelevant to the discussion. What he does or doesn't do is not the issue. He is an employer, and he has concerns about what his employee is doing with paid time. Full stop.

Two wrongs don't make a right, nor do many. What he does during working hours is between his employer and him. If he does it without his employers permission, it's wrong. But it doesn't make her doing it right.
    Its relevant from a hypocrisy standpoint.
    06-04-09 08:17 AM
    I am sorry but your name pretty much says all we needed to know about how you feel regarding this thread.
    The name is in honor of my deceased grandfather and what does that have to do with the op's question? It doesn't dismiss the fact that an employer has the right to dictate what is allowable behaviour by an employee on the time clock.

06-04-09 08:19 AM
    The name is in honor of my deceased grandfather and what does that have to do with the op's question? It doesn't dismiss the fact that an employer has the right to dictate what is allowable behaviour by an employee on the time clock.

Sorry, just a poor attempt at humor. Typically grandparents don't understand that newfangled texting thing. Get it ahahaha.

Ok back to it. Yes, the employer can dictate what is allowable behvior but that is not what this person is doing. This person is trying to block their cell usage like this is a government arms facility. I should have done this earlier but I want to state for the record that if you are that unhappy you should just fire the person but it is just texting many housekeepers steal and to another point if you have time to watch your housekeeper clean than for God's sake clean it yourself.
    06-04-09 08:24 AM
    Ok back to it. Yes, the employer can dictate what is allowable behvior but that is not what this person is doing. This person is trying to block their cell usage like this is a government arms facility. I should have done this earlier but I want to state for the record that if you are that unhappy you should just fire the person but it is just texting many housekeepers steal and to another point if you have time to watch your housekeeper clean than for God's sake clean it yourself.
    Again, what other housekeepers do is irrelevant. He is attempting to enforce a policy which his employee is having difficulty following while keeping the kid gloves on since he has a relationship with this person. Blocking the signal is heavy handed, and probably impractical but there have been other more suitable solutions suggested elsewhere in the thread.
    06-04-09 08:32 AM
    Again, what other housekeepers do is irrelevant. He is attempting to enforce a policy which his employee is having difficulty following while keeping the kid gloves on since he has a relationship with this person. Blocking the signal is heavy handed, and probably impractical but there have been other more suitable solutions suggested elsewhere in the thread.
    Seriously man, it is just an opinion. I think that he/she is way off base this is a summer job for a kid who probably doesn't care. Either fire them or live with it and if you have to live with something in an employee I think texting is a rather small one.
    06-04-09 08:53 AM
    Employer has the right to enforce policy about the use of free time within the household. All other laws apply as well. as a minor, she is allowed regular breaks, during which she could make her calls. Also, you must pay her income taxes according to state and local laws. You are doing that too, right?

As to jamming, I would check the laws there as well, but I don't believe there is any reason you would get in trouble for jamming within your own home. All the other crap posted here about breaking federal laws is just a load from uptight folks. As long as you aren't effecting people outside of the property, I can't imagine it being a problem.

That said, it is highly impractical. Best advice is to act like a responsible employer, and an adult. Tell her to stop texting during working hours, or she is fired.
    06-04-09 11:32 AM
38 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD