I now this is weird, but my house keepers daughter is constantly on her phone texting and talking while she's here.. I asked her politely to stop (i am paying her hourly) but I keep catching her. I realy dont want to fire her, I have known her since she was little, and I am trying to keep her busy some days for the summer.. her mom talked with her about it, but lets face it, texting is like a disease now a days.. (myself incuded). I am looking for a way to temporarily disable her phone while she's here.. so she can get her work done, than text all day if she wants.. I am not looking to buy a jammer.. I only need it about 3 hours a day twice a week.. any ideas? maybe a program that puts her phone to sleep? drains the battery quickly?

also something she wont be able to detect..!!!

I cant wait to see the look on her face when she figures out she has no signal, or cant text. btw, its a tmobile curve
    My wallet thanks you!
    06-03-09 06:38 AM
    Not that I know of.

I know with VZW you have controls that would assist with this, but, the parent would have to do it. This service with VZW will not work with BB.
    06-03-09 06:50 AM
    I thought Sprint had something along the lines of Parental Control thing? Why not call up CS and ask about it. I believe they would surely help you.

Edit: Wait. You have Sprint and she has T-Mobile? Try calling T-Mobile and seeing if they have anything. If not then try and use the firewall on the phone itself. She wouldn't be able to receive her texts. That's worth a try.
    Last edited by mbudden; 06-03-09 at 06:56 AM.
    06-03-09 06:54 AM
    You cannot block it without blocking all other traffic on the same frequencies if the phone is not on your account.
    06-03-09 06:55 AM
    You cannot block it without blocking all other traffic on the same frequencies if the phone is not on your account.
    So if I understand.. I have sprint, that will still work.. she hs tmobile.. it will block all tmobile? sorry if I dont understand
    06-03-09 06:57 AM
    I thought Sprint had something along the lines of Parental Control thing? Why not call up CS and ask about it. I believe they would surely help you.

Edit: Wait. You have Sprint and she has T-Mobile? Try calling T-Mobile and seeing if they have anything. If not then try and use the firewall on the phone itself. She wouldn't be able to receive her texts. That's worth a try.
    How would I set the firewall? she guards that phone like her life depends on it.. Aside from hiding it on her, i dont know what to do lol!
    06-03-09 06:58 AM
    Well if you CAN get ahold of it, Options > Security Options > Firewall

Change the Status to Enabled
    Under Block Incoming Messages
    Select both SMS and MMS.

Whenever you'd like her to text again, just set it back. I don't see why you can't call T-Mobile and ask them to block her texts that could also be as easy.
    06-03-09 07:02 AM
    you could make her stay outside if she's going to use her phone, and tell her it's either that or you'll take it from her while she's in your house.
    06-03-09 07:16 AM
    So if you are trying to help her out then fire her and tell her why. Better she learn her lesson doing this summer job than when it might really matter.

You can always take her back if she repents.
    06-03-09 07:29 AM
    Jamming the phone?...lmao. Sounds like its time for a lesson in responsibility and "jamming" the phone probably isn't the best tool for giving that lesson. Tell her she needs to leave her phone in the car while working...like most jobs(especially ones a teen would have)no personal calls while at work. Then give her a 10 min break every couple hours to check her phone.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-03-09 07:29 AM
    You might need to be carefull as it might be against federal law to do such thing.

Not the same but jamming radar frequencies is a federal crime.

I would tell her if she doesn't stop she can leave or py her less for every time you catch her

06-03-09 07:34 AM
    A no phone policy while at work??? You could also give her "timed" breaks to check and reply to texts but when break time is over it's OVER and it's back to work..

06-03-09 07:38 AM
    This is silly. Just tell her no phone in your house. If you've known her forever she shouldn't have a problem. If her parents need her for something or there's an emergency they can call you....
    06-03-09 07:43 AM
    Yeah, seems simple enough just to have her hand you the phone when she gets there and hand it back to her when she leaves. Very low tech.
    06-03-09 06:33 PM
    That seems very illegal...
    Try the break idea someone suggested. If she uses the phone while not on "break", fire her.
    06-03-09 06:46 PM
    the OP will be sorry when his hired hand can't use her cell to call 911 after she lights the house on fire.. or the OP has a heart attack from all those nasty RF waves...
    06-03-09 06:50 PM
    oh wow... sorry i didn't know you said it was your house keepers daughter. things can be different then i guess. well as everyone said, fire her. a break is a break. talk to her about it.
    06-03-09 07:05 PM
    I am agreeing with the "no phone while working" policy. The vast majority of employers will fire or at least discipline an employee for using their phone while on the clock, so should you. Or at the very least, let her know that every time you catch her on her phone while working, you are docking 15 minutes of her pay.

Life has rules and consequences. Kids need to learn that.
    06-03-09 09:23 PM
    My dad would have loved some of the parental blocks they have now days some companies offer. I am also for the no txting at work policy and just either have her mom take her phone or tell her you will.
    06-03-09 11:14 PM
    Am I wrong to assume that your house keeper's daughter is not an employee of yours? Or are both mother and daughter your housekeepers?
    06-04-09 12:10 AM
    Use a chaff grenade
    06-04-09 12:20 AM
    You use tin foil to wall paper the inside of your house. That should block the signal.
    06-04-09 12:32 AM
    Those are all very good suggestions. Really it comes down to what you want to do. You can either fire her, enforce a 'no cellphone use' policy, or buy something that will block her (and everybody else's) cellphone signal.
    Unfortunately, you cannot install anything onto her phone. That's a road not worth going down for many reasons.
    Good luck, and I hope you are able to reach an agreement with her.
    06-04-09 12:33 AM
    I agree with the previous post as well, and as someone who has had a similar problem with a babysitter in my home. I had a friends daughter come to sit with my oldest daughter (3) while I would go have my chemothereapy treatments and I came in several times and my daughter was watching the tv and she was texting. Not a big deal BUT my daughter has limited tv time. Anyway, I started leaving my BB with her and was taking her phone with me that way she had a mobile device when they were out of the home on the swings but had no texting available. She never used my phone nor did I use hers but this only happened 3 times then i decided to not do it and trust her. and after that she did well atleast when I came in things were fine. lol!! But honestly just tell the girl!
    06-04-09 01:10 AM
    Tell her firmly that she cannot continue to text while she's working - if she doesn't, then she will be fired. Chances are, she will not listen LOL..kids

If she's old enough to text then she understands and is obviously not taking it seriously, so teach her a lesson in responsibility - fire her.

06-04-09 06:19 AM
38 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD