Ok so I was inspired by a prior post here to put some insight to my total love for the curve!

So I am a Sprint customer and as rough as that may sound go ahead and beat their data services. Lol. Anyway I have owned every pda style phone they have. Here is the run down and why I love my curve.

Palm 700p- more user friendly them WM5/6 but gets a little funky with third party aps and windows sync. Not much customization. Original series had a lot of crashing issues.

Palm 700wx- ran WM5 enough said.

Moto q- had some weird original rendition of WM5 smartphone edition. Very slow. Very slow. Very slow. Media player would freeze the whole damn thing up. It was gone in 3 weeks.

BB 8703e- my first bb. Loved it. Why did I leave it. Well cause sprint was charging 50 bones at the time for service. Other than that it was a little bulky and no camera. Yeah I am picky.

Mogul (htc 6800)- ah the cream of th crop for WM6 right? Except when you want to text in a hurry to find out it takes 5 minutes to load. Arg!

Moto q9c - same as moto q just with wm6. Wife liked it. Whoopee! This was the end of my wm tryouts.

BB 8800 we- yes a bb with some style, useability and it was small! No camera though! Loved it and kept it longer than most. Built some themes and really got into the BB world with it.

Palm Centro - now you are thinking wtf? He went from 8800 to this? I had to in order to get in on a special sprint plan. Could wait for curve. This thing was sooooo small it was rediculous! Lasted 6 days!

THE CURVE
    My love! LOL! Coming from a guy who has owned them all this phone rocks. The sync software (8800 as well) is leaps and bounds ahead of mircosoft and palm. The customization is second to none. The platform os is extremely stable compared elsewhere. Very quick while using less memory. Camera! 3.5mm jack! Long long battery life! Java building! Instant email! I seriously cannot say enough how this phone appeals to so many people across the board! What appeals you too it?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-27-08 11:07 PM
    What a beautiful love story....lol
    05-27-08 11:14 PM
    Nice that you love it and all, but customization is second to none? Did you actual get in depth with your Mogul, or did you just leave it as is? There isn't a device on the planet that can compare, customization wise, to a Windows Mobile device. Stability, ease of use, battery life... those are all different stories, but customization?. Customization on a BB is just a tiny bit better than Palm, and is easily one of its few major shortcomings.

A handful of different themes where the only thing that changes is the wallpaper and icon design is not "real" customization.
    Last edited by CrazEtooN; 05-28-08 at 01:59 AM. Reason: typo
    05-27-08 11:23 PM
    While I agree with most of your post, I dont think your "customization" comment is quite accurate. I find BB to be a rock solid, stable BUT rigid OS. WM, is less stable, ultra tweakable and uber customizable.

Both have their pros/cons. I know, I keep switching between phones very regularly.

However, nice post, enjoyed reading it.
    05-28-08 12:09 AM
    Nice that you love it and all, but customization is second to none? Did you actual get in depth with your Mogul, or did you just leave it as is? There isn't a device on the planet that can compare, customization wise, to a Windows Mobile device. Stability, ease of use, battery life... those are all different stories, but customization?. Customization on a BB is just a tiny bit better than Palm, and is easily one of its few major shortcomings.

A handful of different themes where the only thing that changes is the wallpaper and icon design is not "real" customization.
    Obviously you have not tried or played around with Java development with Plazmic. If you get into that the customization becomes somewhat un-stopable. You can create icons from whatever image you want. Change menu backgrounds, caller backgrounds, text fonts/colors(obviously), change from today plus, to l, to zen, to today regular however you want. I mean before you criticize the customization look into it a little more. As for the Mogul I definately did some playing around and had multiple different programs to change the appearance. I even hacked it to run like the HTC touch for a little while, that was a joke. I used a lot of today themes to try and get comfortable with it. The main thing is the menus stay the same and even with a hack there is very very few colors to change when it comes to menus and title bars. Plus the more third party apps you load the slower the damn thing got!

With my curve I seem to change backgrounds, text color, background color, icons, and main screens all the time. Never get sick of them.

By the way you think BB is just a little better than Palm? Can you change the main screen background on Palm? Nope, just the phone background. Can you change the palm icons to your own personal set? Nope you are stuck with what you have. Can you load personal MP3's for ringtones? Yes, but you have to know the browser hack to do it. BB is just simple record and put on memory card.(in the ringtone folder already labeled for you)

Come on guys/gals use your bb's to the full potential. There is stuff out there and things you can do that obviously some of you have not yet played with. These things are awesome and pretty user friendly.

Check out themes4bb.com for some really off the wall free themes that really change up the appearance.

05-28-08 12:11 PM
    Plazmic is nothing but a theme builder, and my post was saying that being able to only change the theme is not real customization.

Windows Mobile you can:
    -Change themes
    -Add plugins to the Today screen that actually run from the Today screen
    -Change the entire layout of the Today screen
    -Add things like the HTC Home/Today Plugin to the today screen and customize it with something like HTC Home Customizer
    -Add completely new GUI schemes with things like SPB Mobile Shell that sit on top of the Windows Mobile GUI and look completely different.
    -Use something like WisBar Advanced Desktop and turn your phone into an open palette to literally make it look exactly how you want.
    -In the third party arena, you can add new Video players (can't with BB), music players (there is like 2 for BB), you can add completely new PIM management software to change the layout of your address book, calendar, etc.
    -Completely change the dialer layout/skin
    -Add Cube programs that overlay the stock GUI

And that isn't even the half of it. By the way, the more running third party apps you have on ANY phone will make it slow, be it Palm POS, WinMo, BB OS, or Symbian OS. While it is true that many of the GUI replacements are treated as a running app, the well built ones don't utilize hardly any system resources. You don't need to hack anything to change the colors of the top and bottom bars, or the highlight color, as those are theme related and there are thousands of themes available bringing you pretty much every color possible. The menus always stay the same on a BlackBerry too by the way. The only thing that can change is the font and menu color; the layout will never change.

With BlackBerry you can:
    -Change your icons
    -Use one of 5 different themes (Today, Icon, Zen, L, Today Plus)
    -Change your wallpaper
    -Change the look of your menus and their respective fonts

You don't need to hack a Palm to use MP3 ringtones either. You need to buy software, which is stupid, but it isn't a hack considering it is sold through Palm's own mobile store.

Like I said, BlackBerrys are awesome, but their level of customization sucks and is only a little bit BETTER than Palm. See, better, just not by much. I agree that there is a plethora of different things you can do with the existing theme set, but that is it, and that is not true customization.

Here is a link to a thread with some MINOR customizations made to At&t Tilts, a WinMo device:
    LINK
    Yeah, there are some people in that thread that have similar looking stuff, but there are others that look drastically different. Also be sure to notice the little things, like task trays and app launchers on the sides, tops, and bottoms of screens. Go through all the pages in the linked topic to see what I am talking about.

Here is a link to a MAJOR customization. It isn't a theme I would want to use, but it shows the power of real customizations. Again, be sure to actually look at all the screens:
    LINK

Here is another MAJOR customizations done with WisBar Advanced Desktop:
    LINK
    I am referring to the first post on the linked page.

Yeah, BlackBerry trumps other phones in certain areas, but I repeat, it is NOT in the area of real customization.

EDIT: Those of you that have never used a WinMo PocketPC will probably not understand what you are looking at, but since IamGOV claims to be versed in WinMo customization, the intricacies should be easy for him to spot.
    Last edited by CrazEtooN; 05-28-08 at 01:13 PM.
    05-28-08 12:45 PM
    Cartoon I do stand corrected on the point you made with the post of Juno's customization. Even though the ship theme is kind of lame, the work behind it is insane. It appears he/she made a lot of adjustments to every java script and icon scenario he could. Very very nice and hats off to him. It almost appears he built it off of either the SPB or some other today plugin. I like how he adjusted every detail down to the alarm symbols. Very clean homepage and also seems to be very functional.

The others are pretty much what I did with mine except for the WisBar app. Never really played around with that. I use SPB and HTC today plugins and, correct me if I am wrong, but SPB shell and some other package SPB put out. It has been awhile. I also did some registry hacking and developed the operating software to run like the TOUCH. That was pretty slow and lame.

As for the Palm there is a browser hack for MP3 without software. Put the modified MP3 on a memory card, open browser, and I believe type search///:file name and location....when it comes up hit menu key and save as ringtone. Very simple. I found it on a Palm site a while back.

I just found it easier to manipulate around Plazmic builder than registry editors and script writing. But like I said I never seen customization at that level, still does not make me want to switch....LOL.
    05-28-08 06:43 PM
    I heard angels sing as I read that wonderfly romantic love story

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-28-08 06:52 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD