So, a friend of mine had a spare ATT Tilt and gave it to me to play with for a few days. I've had it for about 3 hours now. I guess I was curious about the touch screen and the features of a Windows Mobile phone and how it compared to my BB. I am tempted to get the BB Touch when it comes out, but I want to see if I'd really like it after using a touch screen for a few days.

Some info on the Tilt...

Windows Mobile 6 Professional
    Processor - 400MHz
    RAM - 128MB
    Flash - 256MB
    Display - 240 x 320
    Colors - 65536

First off, I compared the sizes of both phones. Although the Tilt is slightly longer and slightly more narrow, the slide top and keyboard make it much thicker and heavier than my 8310. My curve fits in my hand nicely and I only need one hand to do anything with it. The Tilt is a little awkward using only one hand, especially if you want to use the keyboard. There's a power button; camera button and a spot for the stylus on the right side of the phone. The left side has a PTT button, scroll wheel and OK button. The buttons on the right side of the phone are all flush with the phone itself. It's sometimes difficult to press them without turning the phone on its side to see if your finger is even on the button. The buttons on the left side and the scroll wheel are raised and easily identifiable, even in the dark. The bottom of the phone (where the screen is) has a slot for your Micro SD card and the bottom of the keyboard section is where you plug in your USB cable. The phone charges via USB, in case you're wondering. The Micro SD card cover is a little difficult to open. Finally, to put your SIM card in, you have to slide the screen over as if you were going to use the keyboard, then flip the phone over. There you will find the slot for your SIM card. If you don't hear a CLICK when you lock the SIM card in its slot, your phone won't recognize that you've installed one. Overall, not impressed with the weight of the phone and the buttons on the right side.

Tilt, 0 - Curve, 1

I popped my SIM card and my Micro SD card into the Tilt and hit the power button. The first thing I noticed...the Tilt boots up way faster than the BB. I couldn't believe how much faster it booted. I love my Curve, but it is a little annoying when it comes to booting up. It takes much too long. The Tilt's speed on boot definitely won me over.

Tilt, 1 - Curve, 1

On to the keyboard...whenever you need to type something, you either need to use the keyboard (which means sliding the top over) or use the stylus to activate the onscreen keyboard. This is annoying. I just want to type and type quickly. The keys on the keyboard are not really raised. They feel slightly bumpy and sometimes unresponsive. As for the onscreen keyboard, I had no issue using the stylus, other than the view of the keyboard itself on the screen. It's a little small. For me though, the ability to type a text or email quickly is a big plus and the Tilt doesn't make it all that easy. My Curve wins this one.

Tilt 1, - Curve, 2

On to the screen. I must say, I like the fact that you can switch to landscape mode on the Tilt. Pictures on my SD card showed up much clearer and sharper on the Tilt's screen than on my Curve's screen. I am unsure what the screen size and number of colors are on the Curve. I am going to have to go look that up. That's all I've got on the screen right now, so no score for this one.

I have to play with the phone a little more and there is still a few things I want to check out. I'll report back with more information after I've used the Tilt a little longer. For now, I still like the Curve better and the touch screen is no big deal for me now that I've used it for a little while.

To be continued.
    09-08-08 11:39 PM
    I had a tilt, BB is the way to go. Touch screen may be nice and all but if you want something thats gonna be reliable and FAST( the tilt is incredibly slow when you go to landscape mode) get a BB.
    09-08-08 11:41 PM
    My wife has the TILT and I got to admit that I hate it. The worst is I dont like the way it feels in my hands. BB overall is much easier to operate. I'm trying to get her to take over my Curve once I upgrade to the BOLD.
    09-08-08 11:47 PM
    [QUOTE=Garz;700730] The worst is I dont like the way it feels in my hands. BB overall is much easier to operate.

Yea thats the truth, its HUGE!!! No one wants to carry an giant phone around, BB just fits nicely
    09-08-08 11:52 PM
    one thing the tilt has over the curve is its ridiculous skinability; see here: Development and Hacking - xda-developers

i had my MDA looking like/functioning like an iPhone:

click above to see more.

but, all in all, i do like my curve more than the MDA. the curve just works, and you don't have to tweak, re-tweak, and re-tweak the phone to get it to do what you want and when you want it . . . i guess upgrading teh OS has taken for that sickness. LOL!
    Last edited by extraducksauce; 09-09-08 at 12:38 AM.
    09-09-08 12:34 AM
    but who really cares about that?
    09-09-08 12:35 AM
    i've never had a tilt, or any of the PDA sliders, for that matter, but i have played with them extensively. i gotta say, the size doesn't bother me. and there's certainly something to be said for the "hidden" keyboard. it allows for either a) the phone to be smaller or b) the screen to be larger. it also means that the keyboard is, in general, larger than most open-faced QWERTY designs. i do enjoy the use of a touchscreen; this kind of touchscreen anyway. i like to be able to use the stylus to scroll around sometimes, but other times i prefer real-deal buttons. i used to have a treo, and that was a good mix.
    of course i prefer my BB, mostly due to the operating system (not a fan of windows mobile) and total overall functionality. also, less moving parts. i've known many people with sliders, sidekicks, or other moving parts where after just a few months, the parts start to feel loose. i know someone who had an xv6700 a year or so ago, and after a couple of months he literally had to hold the phone closed so it didn't slide open while he was on a call.

just my $.02.

-randy
    09-09-08 12:49 AM
    I am a convert to BB from the HTC (Cingular 8525). Windows Mobile was nice - but the freeze factor started to kick in. I also (Despite Greg24's assertion) liked the size of the HTC - I have big hands, and am still adjusting to the smaller Curve. I am a fan of my new Curve - so far i like the ease and stability head and shoulders over the HTC.
    09-09-08 02:28 AM
    The HTC tilt wouldve been the only phone I wouldve bought if i didnt get my BB
    09-09-08 06:05 AM
    I had the sprint version of the tilt called the Mogul. The worst phone I have ever owned. I had to take it back to sprint at least 7 times in the month I had it. It would erase all my personal info alot. The second one they gave me actually overheated and burnt the touchscreen. Battery life was worse than my iphone 3g. My opinion Now that I have a curve from At&t I will never own another phone other than a BB. (unless we get the nokia n95). Then possibly would I consider a swap.
    09-09-08 06:58 AM
    I had the mogul through alltel and went through 8 of them in two months... between cracked LCDs, touchcreens, and software issues...

finally had enough and through a fit to get upgraded to a curve and know i will never look back..
    09-09-08 08:14 AM
    I switched from the 'pre-Tilt' (8525) to a Curve! I had it only 5 mths and was bored! I love the 3G but other than that..it was limiting for me. Battery life was only good for a 3 hours...

The BB is the only device that has held my fascination/interest longer than 3 months...Its been a year now and going strong!!
    I look forward to getting the Bold!
    09-09-08 09:10 AM
    I had a HTC APACHE(xv6700). I still use both phones. I use the bb for phone calls and appointment checking. The HTC I use to scheduale appointments and use to play all my music. I will prob continue to use both phones till the storm comes out then I can just have 1 phone to carry around. - just can't get rid of the touch screen

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-09-08 09:36 AM
    Just a note to all, I have a crimson Curve and by no means am looking to give it up for a Tilt. I just wanted to compare the two.

I love my BLACKBERRY and I am a crackberry addict, first and foremost!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-09-08 11:09 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD