Hi all, first time on here...hoping someone can help please

My 8310 is very slow - the egg timer is on my screen LOADS. When it's downloading emails and i'm typing one, i can perhaps type 2 or 3 letters before i have to wait for the egg timer.

It's becoming unusable. Does anyone have any suggestions or tips please?

Thanks!
    04-19-08 11:15 AM
    Go into your main options > status and look to see what your "file free" is listed as. Come back and tell us, and we can go from there.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-19-08 11:26 AM
    Thanks for your quick reply. My file free is 15936072 Bytes.

Thanks!
    04-19-08 11:36 AM
    Your memory should not be causing the problem as it is ok. Try pulling the battery out while device is on and reinsert after 30 seconds and let it reboot. Let us know after that if it works any better.
    04-19-08 11:38 AM
    ... When it's downloading emails and i'm typing one, i can perhaps type 2 or 3 letters before i have to wait for the egg timer.

Thanks!
    If everything runs well otherwise, I suspect you have a low signal strength and your devise is struggling to get the data. If there are errors, it will keep on retrying until it finally gets it right. That can consume a lot of the 'puters attention.

You can monitor your signal strength in Options > Status. If you have less then -90 dBm, try it in an area with a better signal.

If you live in a spot where the signal strength is poor, have you considered upgrading to an 8320 and O2's UMA service?
    04-19-08 11:53 AM
    Thanks for your quick reply. My file free is 15936072 Bytes.

Thanks!
    While that is technically ok, it could start dipping into the low range when you are running programs. Without getting to in depth from the word go, start with the following things.

Open your browser and press menu > options > cache operations > clear everything but your cookies. Also go into options > Browser Configuration and set your "start page" to Bookmarks. (leaving it on a page with lots of animation or images when you close it can hurt your memory since the Browser never fully closes)

If you have a lot of SMS, MMS, or Email messages on the device, delete the ones you don't need.

Same thing as above for your call logs.

Next, find the icon on your device labeled "Setup Device Wizard" or something similar. Run it and when given the option to remove extra languages, choose yes.

Now, open your Media Player. Once it's open, press Menu > Options and look for the option for "reserved pictures memory," set it to 0. You can also set the option for "device memory limit" to its lowest number if you want.

Open your options menu > advanced > applications. After the list populates, look for the app called "BlackBerry Sample Video" or something similar. Highlight it and press menu > delete > confirm the delete/say yes.

Lastly, from the home screen hold the left alt key and press L > G > L > G. This will bring up your event log, once there, press menu > clear log > confirm/yes.

Now, with the device ON, remove your battery and leave it out for 30 seconds to 1 minute. After you put it back in, all your running programs will be closed, and any memory that was in use will be freed. You should do this (battery pull) once every couple of days.

From this point forward, just try to remember to CLOSE all programs by going Menu > Close/Exit when you are done. Just hitting the "back" key doesn't always close a program, and if it is running in the background, it is eating memory. Also, if you have pictures, music, videos, or ringtones stored on the device, do yourself a favor and get a micro SD card to keep them on, as they will destroy your memory. Last thing, don't go crazy installed 3rd party apps, just install what you need and remove what you don't.

Ok, now, after all that, what is your "file free?"
    04-19-08 11:58 AM
    Thanks alot - i will try the battery thing now.

As far as i'm aware when i got my Blackberry just a month ago, in England, we can't get the Curve 8320 yet. I might be wrong? I'm pretty sure i got the latest one...

Thanks alot for your help guys,
    04-19-08 12:00 PM
    Several UK O2 clients have posted here. Both O2 and Orange support UMA and the Curve.

I just wish I had the choice, soon perhaps...
    04-19-08 12:06 PM
    Thanks alot - i will try the battery thing now.

As far as i'm aware when i got my Blackberry just a month ago, in England, we can't get the Curve 8320 yet. I might be wrong? I'm pretty sure i got the latest one...

Thanks alot for your help guys,
    Don't forget to try the rest too.
    04-19-08 12:12 PM
    How many other apps are running? That will slow things down too. Always be sure to close all the way out of apps

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-19-08 12:21 PM
    Do you do a lot of texting? I have over 4500 messages on my phone which isn't a big deal but I had mine set to show the 50 previous messages of the conversation and that slowed things down. Changed it to 10 and it helped me.

Options > SMS Text > Number of Previous Items

Derek
    04-19-08 12:48 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD