Hi guys,

my blackberry 8320 has been shutting off to the point where i had to use a backup phone. it shuts off when i try to take pictures, even though sometimes its ok. then it shuts off when im in a middle of a call, or when i just left it idle. i was wondering whats happening, it was okay for the first month, then afterward its becoming like this. im pretty sure it wasnt battery problem because the battery was charged full. when my battery is half charged however, once it found my battery is empty then i reseat the battery, then it shows the battery is half charged.

i first thought i need an OS upgrade, which i just did. from 4.5.0.81 to 4.5.0.174, following the method from the stickied thread. everything succeed but still shuts down on itself and have to do battery pull to turn it back on.

thanks for the time and help
    12-16-09 02:40 PM
    Try the device without your sd card in the device. If the resets stops save your data to your pc, reformat card, and then reload data and try the card again. Also is your free memory above 10 mbs?
    12-16-09 02:45 PM
    I took out my SD card, and now i just wiped everything. and still waiting for the change.

assuming memory, i just go to options and status and i have 28619112 bytes. so i think its good.

thanks for the reply
    12-16-09 03:21 PM
    okay it happened 3 times today after a complete wipe with nothing else installed.

im wondering why does it happen now? it wasn't like this when i first got it. is it a memory issue? do i have to clean memory every time?
    12-16-09 10:51 PM
    i have the same problem and have tried pretty much the same things as you have, wiping the blackberry and reinstalling the os, and removing the memory card. So far i havent had any success. However, i have been running some test to try to find out whats wrong and when my phone is charging, it doesn't reset. Also my phone mainly crashes when i got into standby mode, or change between two task that require different amounts of battery usage. This has led me to think that there is something wrong with the battery. I plan to buy a new battery of amazon and test it out. i will probably get the battery sometime next week and ill post back with my results. let me know if you find the fix in the meantime.

thanks
    12-16-09 11:15 PM
    yea did you notice whenever your bb shuts off while you're in a call with someone, there's noise.. right before it shuts off.
    12-16-09 11:32 PM
    no i haven't noticed a noise, but then again i've only called one person with my blackberry since this started to happen. i've been using my old phone. Right now i have my blackberry playing a video on repeat in order to drain the battery, with no sim card in it. so far it hasn't froze, this is really strange.
    12-17-09 01:47 PM
    indeed it is, it was okay when i first use it for a few weeks, then starts acting up.. shutting down. did you get the new battery? i really think battery is not an issue. the guys here are saying its a memory issue, i tried to enable memory clean, but when it shuts off, its back to disabled again... weird..
    12-17-09 10:36 PM
    Sprint replaced mine when it would shut off the radio not the phone... if you are under one year I would take it in and have them look at it...
    12-17-09 10:41 PM
    i ordered the battery, it should be here by the end of the month. Last night i tried to increase the battery-lead contact and i was able to talk on the phone for about an hour before it shut off. When i turned the phone back on, it said it had half battery, so i took out the battery. The next morning i put the battery back in and it said it was out of battery. At that point i put my phone to charge and improved the battery-lead contact some more and will test it out tonight. ill let u know if it ends up working.
    12-19-09 08:28 PM
    the same thing used to happen to my 8320,... a static-like noise a few seconds before the phone died, and once it shut off there was no way to turn it back on until i pulled the battery out, and even then soometimes it wouldnt turn on until the fifth try or more...it got to a point where if i used my phone at all it would just shut off....VERY annoying. Turns out i had overcharged my battery or something, since it was a little fat around the middle and when i got a new battery the problem was solved. so dont discard the battery theory just yet...

also after the new battery fixed the problem there was one morning that i couldnt get my phone to stay on...i went a little app happy the night before and downloaded two new apps, after deleting the new apps the problem was solved :-)...my blackberry has not mysteriously shut off since then.
    Last edited by LolaDarling; 12-19-09 at 08:41 PM.
    12-19-09 08:37 PM
    Face it. I don't think your phone loves you anymore. Have you tried counseling?
    12-19-09 08:49 PM
    alrighty thanks for the reply guys! i will definitely but a new battery after reading lola's story!

@blkbryaddict: i think i should..
    12-20-09 08:36 AM
    bad news i got the battery and i'm still having the same problem. looks like i have send my phone back to china to use the warranty which is gonna suck, not to mention cost a lot. hopefully i can find some guy to fix it here locally. is your phone working any better?
    12-26-09 08:02 PM
    nope, not even close to better. is it possible to contact blackberry directly and see if they can do a thing about it. this is really disappointing. ive been with my old phone for the past weeks now..
    12-26-09 08:40 PM
    bad news. i went to a local blackberry repair store and the person told me that the mainboard is probably broken and it costs pretty much as much as a new phone to fix. Out of curiosity, did you buy your phone on ebay? also, does anyone know how to use the blackberry 1 year warranty?
    12-28-09 11:43 AM
    yea i got mine off eBay, bought 3 of them 2 8320s and 1 8900 and the problem only occurs with mine.. that sucks! time to move along now.. T_T
    12-30-09 09:53 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD