Hi there, I'm Dave, a 25 year old car-seller,

Fully convienced I've finally made the step to Blackberry. I was using SonyEricssons P-series, several Windows Mobile (un)powered devices. But now a proud user of a 8320...

Untill last night...

Connected to the computer the display of bm BB suddenly turned out white.
    He was not corresponding to the keyboard.

I've pulled out the battery, try to restart it, a short red LED indicator lid up but the display stays black now.

Grabbed my laptop to see wether someone else had ever the same. That's how I ended up here. (Great place btw)
    I've started with the "Newbie's"-section, great things what you wrote there Kevin!
    I've checked out similar cases from other users...

I've performed a new OS install as described, ended up the problem that apploader tell's me that there is no software found for my device.
    Installed JL_Cmder. Wiped out the whole device.
    Installed a new OS: 8320-v4.2.2.184_P2.5.0.40
    Problem Stayed thesame.
    Whiped out again, installed the one like he was delivered: 8320-v4.2.2.171_P2.5.0.24

Succes! partialy...
    Battery out & in, red LED blinks shortly, display stay's dark. But when I turn the trackball the speaker makes a rathling noice: so he's alive.
    Connect by USB to JL-Cmder, make a screendump.
    The imagefile displays a powered on BB with the question "use mass storage... USB?" Moving the trackball makes a clicking noice but the selector won't move, pressing the trackball is no use. (i've found out after puch a button and make a new screendump)

With my little IT-skills I must say that I'm stuck...

Phoned to my mobistar dealer, I can bring him im to lett him being serviced. If there is no other possibility, OK...

Is there anyone out there that can guide me. Am I missing or forgetting something? Can it be that the screendumps misleading me?
    Or is this really a hardware faillure?

Many thanks!!!
    06-16-08 07:37 AM
    When your device fails to start, it show one of these symptoms:

1. Totally dead.

2. Trying to restart, LED activity only.

3. Failed to start, a white screen with an error message.

__________________________________________________ ________

1. Physical damage, water is the worst enemy of delicate electronic device. Try drying it with a desiccant and replacing the battery. If there is no activity, you can still try the last ditch technique, nothing to loose anyway.

2. Your device is not able to start, something has gone wrong and the OS is corrupt.

3. Geeks call this an "Uncaught exception error". That is a polite way of saying, the last thread has terminated, the OS has halted because it is corrupt.

In many cases, the Application Loader can be used from Desktop Manager or Windows, see Ref #1 for the CrackBerry 101 discussion.

If that fails to connect, there is one final solution. Go Old Skool ...

__________________________________________________ ________

The good news, starting from scratch, you will be back in service in a couple of hours.

1. In order to restore the device, you need to have BlackBerry Desktop Manager installed. The original, as supplied on the BlackBerry CD is adaquite. Tip: If you choose to download the newest v4.3, you can save a lot of time by choosing custom install and disabling Roxio Media Manager. At start-up, it really slows things down until it has built up it index of media. Ref #2 links to BlackBerry's download site.

2. After it is installed, you need to install a BlackBerry OS file that is specific to your device. The original version, as supplied by the carrier, is the safe choice, but you can use any model specific version. This is not supplied on your BlackBerry CD, Ref: 3 links to BlackBerry's download pages.

3. Once the OS has been installed, you have to prepare it for the device.

Select Start / Computer and select the Drive C: Icon.

Open Program Files / Common Files / Research in Motion / AppLoader.

Navigate to the bottom and delete the file Vendor.XML file.

4. You are now ready to restore your device. Verify that BlackBerry Desktop Manager is NOT running. Plug the device directly into the computer's USB port.

We are about to venture into the bowls of the beast. Windows is not suitable for this job, we are going to invoke the Command line interface with an option switch. This was the way all 'puters worked prior to Mcintosh and Windows.

Windows XP: Start / Run... / Command

Windows Vista: Start / Command (type this into 'start search')

You will see a black window similar to this. I have used UPPERCASE to highlight the typed commands.
    Quote:
    CD \CD PROGRAM FILES CD COMMON FILESCD RESEARCH IN MOTIONCD APPLOADERLOADER /NOJVM
    When you hit enter at the last command a forced rebuild will start.

5. When it has finished, unplug it from the USB port and wait for it to finish start-up. Thirty minutes is typical, do not interrupt it.

Once it has recovered, you can use Desktop Manager's Application Loader to customize and restore from your backup files, if you have saved them previously.
    06-16-08 07:45 AM
    So mine is not listed between the different states!

These one starts but doesn't give me visualisation on the display. I'm pretty sure he's up and running (on the pc he's connected and the PIN is identified i can synchronize, back-up, start apploader...)
    Also when time pass by i can see the clock is ticking as well (in my screendumps)

So if my device's state is not listed in what you tell me i can be sure it's something "that's not normal" en thus "repearable"?
    06-16-08 08:24 AM
    Hi everyone,

Case closed!

They've replaced my Curve with a new one. Hardware problem...

So I'm back online!

Thanks for your help.

Dave
    07-16-08 05:19 AM
    Glad to hear it Dave. As sturdy and stable as BBs are, they do fail from time to time.
    07-16-08 06:05 AM
    i have blackberry from mobistar ,can someone help me to know how can install windows live messenger??
    08-22-08 05:38 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD