i dont want to sound like a complete *****, but where is the mute key?
    I want to put my Blackberry on standby mode!!!

Thanks!
    05-06-08 02:25 PM
    You do want to put it on stand by mode? Its on top of the curve...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-06-08 02:30 PM
    BTW: whats the difference with locking your phone and putting it on standby?
    05-06-08 02:38 PM
    standby puts it to sleep, saves battery and also works to keep you from pushing buttons in your pocket or whatever. Locking it does what locking any phone does. It locks the buttons so again that you don't push any buttons. However, if you want to password protect your berry for security, locking your device will prevent others from using it. You have to input the password to get it to unlock.

My personal preferences: I password protect my berry so I use locking. Before it was protected, I used standby. Hitting the mute key is faster than unlocking to get it back working again.

One other note: if you use a holster with a magnet, it will auto-sleep when you put it into the holster.
    05-06-08 02:57 PM
    There is a button on the TOP RIGHT (not front) of the tour with a barely visible icon - push that it should unlick.
    10-16-09 11:35 AM
    There is a button on the TOP RIGHT (not front) of the tour with a barely visible icon - push that it should unlick.
    You realize this thread hasn't been active for a year and a half, right?
    If they haven't figured it out by now, they probably forgot they even asked the question.
    10-16-09 12:10 PM
    LMAO

10 char.
    10-16-09 01:08 PM
    Well I'm an ***** too. You can't really see the button on top of the tour so I couldn't find the damned thing either. LOL
    11-11-09 12:35 PM
    Lol love reopening buried threads. I'm on 8320 and that silver button on top does nothing. So worthless. They should just made it to lock mode like newer berries

11-11-09 12:54 PM
    Lol love reopening buried threads. I'm on 8320 and that silver button on top does nothing. So worthless. They should just made it to lock mode like newer berries

I never use the mute key. Just put my phone into keyboard lock with the password set. Never see a huge difference in how long the battery lasts with using the mute key.
    11-11-09 01:12 PM
    You realize this thread hasn't been active for a year and a half, right?
    If they haven't figured it out by now, they probably forgot they even asked the question.
    If this doesn't help the original poster, it might help a new user.
    11-11-09 02:38 PM
    Don't laugh at people answering questions from long ago. Just this minute I came looking for the "mute key" and now my phone is operational again. You never know when a brand new numbskull will come along! LOL
    12-11-09 07:14 AM
    This mysterious mute button is NOT easy to find because it doesn't actually look like a regular button.

At the top of your blackberry tour where the plastic casing starts to curve back at the top if you look closely you will notice a slight icon on the left that looks like a lock and an icon on the right that looks like a bell with a line through it.

The bell with the line through it is the mute key.

So if you simply press down on the top right EDGE of your blackberry for a few seconds you are in fact pushing down on a "button" - To be more specific: If you look at the front of the tour and you are looking at the speaker that runs horizontally across the top. follow over the edge slightly to the right that's where it is, but again, it doesn't actually look like a button.

Hope that helps!

Cheers,
    Gammaraygirl
    12-27-09 10:21 AM
    Thank you Gammaraygrl!!! I just found it.. I wasn't understanding what people were saying until you said its barely visible!! you made my day
    01-20-10 12:53 PM
    Keep this thread alive! I was able to locate the mute key and access my phone. You people are GENIUSES!
    01-26-10 01:53 PM
    Old threads like this are AWESOME for newbies like myself. I just activated my first BB today, and could not figure out where the mute button was until I read this thread.

I would have never guessed that top corner was actually a button.
    01-26-10 10:13 PM
    Top of page blackberry help.... bb 101's will help a lot
    01-26-10 10:25 PM
    Oh my god I was going to bring my phone into the store because it kept telling me to hit thr mute/standby button.
    Thanks to this thread I now know and I don't even have a tour, lol

01-27-10 12:39 AM
    I've got the 8310, it went into standby mode (I don't know why...I must have pushed something I'm not aware of) and told me to push mute to exit. It didn't work. I had to pull the battery...eesh.
    02-19-10 11:35 AM
    I just want to thank all the stoopidfunks out there who botched this job before me. This thread just saved me from losing my mind. I thought my 9700 came with a mythical mute button.
    06-01-10 02:30 PM
    I am glad I found this thread. I was beginning to worry that I would never get mine unlocked!
    06-17-10 03:58 PM
    Old question threads like this are definitely good to keep around.

Having to pull my phone's battery because I couldn't find this purported and inexplicably suddenly necessary "mute key" was infuriating. I had no idea that those faint little icons atop my phone are pressable buttons -- and I'm the type that actually reads the manual. Guess I won't forget it now...

Thanks, all.
    09-20-10 10:59 AM
    Eventhough the thread is ancient, google finds it. And thus other people with the same question will find their answer here.

I actually found this while looking for a shortcut key to mute my audio call, I forgot the top right button was called mute key. Lol So this thread also helped me ^^
    09-22-10 08:08 AM
    I have had BB's for years and today I accidently hit that mute button, and could not remember where it was for the life of me. That is why these old forums are so good.
    09-24-10 02:12 PM
    standby puts it to sleep, saves battery and also works to keep you from pushing buttons in your pocket or whatever. Locking it does what locking any phone does. It locks the buttons so again that you don't push any buttons. However, if you want to password protect your berry for security, locking your device will prevent others from using it. You have to input the password to get it to unlock.

My personal preferences: I password protect my berry so I use locking. Before it was protected, I used standby. Hitting the mute key is faster than unlocking to get it back working again.

One other note: if you use a holster with a magnet, it will auto-sleep when you put it into the holster.
    whoa did not know that if you use a holster with a magnet, it will auto-sleep thanks man lmao
    09-24-10 04:02 PM
33 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD