Hello all, I'm considering getting a Blackberry 8330 for Sprint.

Are the blackberries capable of multitasking where you can leave numerous programs open at once? For instance can I leave myself signed in on Instant Messenger and still email somebody else or take a phone call as these applications are running? Would this also work for Java applications?

I haven't had a chance to demo one yet and this is the only thing at the moment holding me back from getting one.

Thank in advance!

- Mitalis
    08-20-08 06:34 PM
    Welcome to CB!
    Yes, try one out, you'll like it.
    08-20-08 06:40 PM
    Hello all, I'm considering getting a Blackberry 8330 for Sprint.

Are the blackberries capable of multitasking where you can leave numerous programs open at once? For instance can I leave myself signed in on Instant Messenger and still email somebody else or take a phone call as these applications are running? Would this also work for Java applications?

I haven't had a chance to demo one yet and this is the only thing at the moment holding me back from getting one.

Thank in advance!

- Mitalis
    Well, it depends on what carrier you go with. GSM does not support voice and data. But the newer HSDPA models(Blcacberry Bold) do support voice and data. I know CDMA carrier Verizon's EV-DO does support this as well. IMO, you are hard pressed to find a reason to NOT go with Blackberry. GL in your decision, and post if you have any more questions.
    08-20-08 06:43 PM
    Here's a good place to learn more about the BB: BlackBerry 101 How-To Lecture Series | CrackBerry.com
    08-20-08 06:47 PM
    I constantly do long confrence calls on my 8330 and pound out e-mails while I listen to the babbling of my boss and co workers. I think you'd be very plesently supprized with the BB choice!
    08-20-08 06:47 PM
    I haven't ever had issues with needing voice and data at the same time...well, sometimes I wish I had it, but it's not a big deal.

You're actually asking about application multi-tasking, though, and yes it is possible. It works even with Java apps but I've found I need to push Alt-Esc for the app switcher, which I have mapped the left convenience key for in non-Java apps.

The only thing that holds you back is how much memory you have. When I was using OS 4.2 I frequently ran out of memory when running multiple apps, but I'm on 4.5 now and it seems to make better use of the memory.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-20-08 06:49 PM
    I don't think you can send MMS messages if you choose Sprint though.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-20-08 07:13 PM
    true, sprint doesnt support mms, but i know att does, and voice and data yes!
    08-20-08 07:25 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD