I recently used an online site for creating a ringtone in .mp3 format. Basically a 30 second clip of a song. I manually copied the song.mp3 file to my media card under ringtones.

Under ringtones I now have my manually created ringtone and a bunch of other ringtones downloaded from my service provider. My song.mp3 is almost 8 megs, 30 seconds long. The tones from the service provider are much smaller.

When set my phones ringtone to "song" it doesn't seem to take. I get the original phone ring instead.

Any thoughts? I can play the file no problem but when it is set as a ringtone it doesn't seem to work. The ringtones from the provider are .mp3.rem files, mine is only .mp3. Not sure if that is a problem. The other .mp3.rem tones are perfect.
    05-21-08 02:39 PM
    Your mp3 is huge. 30 secs should be 1Mb max. A ringtone does not need to be 320bps. 96 is quite enough.

I use mp3 all the time. Download Audacity to chop up your file and don't exceed 96bps constant bit rate (cbr) when you save it. Also keep the size to less than 1Mb. I do not know at what point the phone just says 'No' when it sees a big mp3 as a ringtone biut I know 1Mb works.
    05-21-08 02:55 PM
    The file is too large to play as a ringtone as Pete6 previously suggested, you will need to cut it down...a 30 sec clip of a song should not be 8MB, i'm willing to bet the full song you cut it from isn't even 8MB lol!
    05-21-08 02:58 PM
    Thanks, I'll try it out tonight and let you know how it works.
    05-21-08 03:02 PM
    Wow! I just looked at my ringtones to make sure I wasn't trippin' and my longest one - :28 - is 330K. I do my initial trim w/ Audacity and then put the file throught that site makeownringtones so that the sounds levels are correct. (Which can be done in Audacity buti don't know how lol)

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-21-08 03:51 PM
    The file is too large to play as a ringtone as Pete6 previously suggested, you will need to cut it down...a 30 sec clip of a song should not be 8MB, i'm willing to bet the full song you cut it from isn't even 8MB lol!
    Jeez... the song must've been encoded with FLAC! hahaha!
    05-21-08 04:03 PM
    Download and install Audacity from SourceForge.net: Downloading ...

Get the lame_enc.dll (MP3 encoder) from DLL-files.com - lame_enc.dll, free download and copy it to C:\Program Files\Audacity\Plug-Ins

In Audacity goto Edit, Preferences (Ctrl-P), File Formats and set the MP3 bit rate to 96 or less. The lower the bit rate, the worse the quality but the smaller the file size.

Now you can use Audacity to File, Export as MP3 to a DIFFERENT FILE NAME as the original.

Keep the music sample down to about 30 seconds of music. Check the file size when you have finished. Keep it below 1Mb.

You can calculate the size of a sample prior to chopping it up by downloading a spreadsheet from here Calculate your mp3 file size — University of Leicester
    05-21-08 04:47 PM
    So, the file size was the problem. I shortened it and made the file smaller. All is well again, thanks!
    05-23-08 11:34 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD