my 8310 with at&t, woke up this morning to find out that my "Q" "A" "W" "ALT" and "SPACE" keys do not work

what happened? what do i do?
    Last edited by timbone; 03-29-10 at 09:07 PM. Reason: forgot the "Q"
    03-29-10 08:51 PM
    first off, it may not be a board issue at all. have you dropped liquid on the phone recently? do the keys still depress properly with their little click?

first thing i would do is pray its an OS or software issue and try a battery pull. if they still dont work, i would reload the OS. if they still didnt work, and i felt like putting money into an old 8310, i would possibly try taking it apart and making sure everything was clean and dust free inside, maybe replacing the keyboard.

in reality, this phone can be had for $50-100 used and probably not worth putting too much effort to if its out of warranty. if all of the above doesnt work, i would replace it through insurance (if i had it), or buy another phone.
    03-30-10 12:26 AM
    Even if you didn't actually drop liquid on the device, if you had it in the bathroom, steam from a shower can infiltrate and cause keyboard malfunction. It may not have even been recently.

You could try a new keyboard tray, but I wouldn't invest a great deal of effort in it if it's toast. I'd at minimum try to find a used 8900 or 9000. You could at least keep one of them going for a while OS-wise.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-30-10 12:45 AM
    i took it apart, cleaned it, replaced battery and still nada..
    03-30-10 08:50 PM
    well then you can try and replace the keyboard, but i doubt it will work. might just be time to retire it and upgrade.
    03-30-10 11:09 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD