I was just wondering if there is a way to let your phone ring longer before it goes to VM. Any suggestions?
    12-31-08 11:31 PM
    For CDMA phones you have to contact your carrier. There's no user setting. Verizon can increase the number of rings for you.
    01-01-09 12:07 AM
    Thanks Jeff
    01-01-09 12:49 AM
    For CDMA phones you have to contact your carrier. There's no user setting. Verizon can increase the number of rings for you.
    Jeff:

I tried with VZW about a week ago and was told there is a default setting of 25 to 35 seconds and it can't be changed. Lied to or just an incompetent customer service rep?
    01-01-09 08:52 AM
    You were not lied to. There are two VM providers to VZW. One can be modifed and the other one cannot. WHy this is I do not know. Also user cannot swapped between them. Sorry.
    01-01-09 08:57 AM
    There would be no reason for a CSR to lie about something like that. Either he/she just didn't know, or lastraid's scenario is correct. Either way, it won't hurt to call one more time, in case your rep just didn't know and you indeed are with the provider that can be changed. Not doubting you lastraid; that's the first of heard of that. That's bound to cause confusion and frustration.
    01-01-09 09:01 AM
    Jeff

I understand, I work with issue everyday with VZW as you know. You are correct another call would not hurt just to make sure that someone did not miss something.

Frustration absolutly, both use to be able to the ring modification. I actually had to network directly to get the infomration I posted here.
    01-01-09 09:12 AM
    It sounds like this might not be an issue with a different CDMA carrier, unless all CDMA carriers use the same two VM suppliers. I'm thinking how to make a general statement the next time this comes up. Based on what you just reported, the answer seems to be:
    For GSM carriers, there is a user setting. (I'll find the info and paste it into my response)
    For CDMA carriers other than Verizon, you have to call Customer Service. The Carrier can adjust the number of rings.
    For Verizon, you have to call Customer Service, but there are two different VM implementations, one can change the number of rings and the other one can't, and you can't change which one you have, so you have a 50-50 chance of getting it changed.

Does that sound right?
    01-01-09 09:38 AM
    that sounds about right
    01-01-09 09:45 AM
    I'd like to know where the user setting for gsm is. I didn't know I had this option.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-01-09 09:50 AM
    GSM based phone, some have had success by dialing this number from your phone: **61*XXXXXXXXXXX**30#

* Replace XXXXXXXXXXX with the number of your carrier voice mail center (find it by looking at your Phone Dialer > Options > VoiceMail > Access Number. Put your access number in place of the Xs above.
    01-01-09 09:53 AM
    And then what? Do you reach a vm support menu or a rep or something like that?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-01-09 09:58 AM
    Here's another thread to add to Sith's info: http://forums.crackberry.com/f70/how...-longer-44069/
    Last edited by JeffH; 01-01-09 at 10:01 AM.
    01-01-09 09:59 AM
    no, it sets it for you. you dont have to go into any menus, its just a phone call (like you are calling to get your minute usage etc)
    01-01-09 09:59 AM
    GSM based phone, some have had success by dialing this number from your phone: **61*XXXXXXXXXXX**30#

* Replace XXXXXXXXXXX with the number of your carrier voice mail center (find it by looking at your Phone Dialer > Options > VoiceMail > Access Number. Put your access number in place of the Xs above.
    I am doing something wrong because when I go into options I do not have anything for voice mail. The only option under "V" is voice dialing what gives?
    01-01-09 11:05 AM
    go into the phone application > menu > options > voicemail
    01-01-09 11:07 AM
    git it thanks
    Last edited by Chicago1; 01-01-09 at 11:37 AM.
    01-01-09 11:29 AM

So I just did that and now I get "call forwarding No Reply forwarded to 18056377243" SO what happened?
    01-01-09 11:40 AM
    Should have worked now. Give it a try
    01-01-09 11:42 AM
    ^ I get the same message from earlier. When you say give it a try it should work now was there something going in teh system that I needed to wait? Regardless it's not working still just get the same message that I posted above.
    01-01-09 12:07 PM
    No, i meant call yourself. should give yourself 30 seconds of ring time before voicemail
    01-01-09 02:45 PM
    Well, after I just called AT&T, I can say that also will extend your ring time. The reason they gave for limiting to 30 seconds was that after 30 seconds you are billed for the call. Makes sense, and 30 seconds should be enough.....
    01-01-09 03:36 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD