Ok. My mother got a Blackberry and is slowly learning how to use it as more than just a phone - I have already tried to get her to go to Crackberry.com and do the lessons but she would rather learn as she goes - no arguing with mother! The last time I saw her I set up her Blackberry Messenger and taught her how to use the preliminary functions, I even programmed a little sound to accompany any incoming BB messages.
    The problem is that if she doesn't hear the tone, there is no little smiley that pops up on her main screen to let her know there is a message. I thought that this was standard and there was no way to turn it off. . .whats going on here? I can't get to her until Thanksgiving so I can't inspect it myself and see what's going on with it. Just wanted to know if anyone else had trouble with this.
    11-19-08 12:16 PM
    It should just pop up, but if she also has unopened text/emails its underneath those envelopes.. she wont see the bbm face till the texts/emails are cleared.. know what i mean?

Does she get other envelopes pop up for her texts/emails?
    11-19-08 12:22 PM
    I believe that this was the same problem that happened to me. It would seem her status is set to not available, which does not have the sound occur when she gets a message. She would have to go to the "friends list" screen on the phone, and hit the menu button and change her status to available.

Edit - Oh Rachel, you are too quick for me.
    11-19-08 12:23 PM
    I thought she gets the tone, but if she missed it, she doesnt see the face on the main screen..
    11-19-08 12:24 PM
    After re-reading it, it seems like she doesn't get either and I just don't know how to fix the smiley problem, so I answered the tone problem. =D
    11-19-08 12:36 PM
    You know what, I wouldn't be surprised if she leaves her e-mails unchecked. I remember the last time I visited her she had like 40 something unread messages. How someone goes without reading every e-mail as soon as it comes in ---- I'll never know.
    That must be the problem, the smiley must be under there somewhere. Thanks for the help. I'll let her know, but I am sure this tidbit of information will not make her a compulsive BB user!
    11-19-08 04:59 PM
    Yeh, like I said, its probably there, but under all the emails she hasnt checked, they kinda get stacked.
    11-19-08 07:34 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD