I have a Sprint 8330 Curve With the 4.3.0.127 software.

It has an 8gig Micro SDHC memory card.

I have loaded 1500 songs on it via mass storage mode(transfers at a decent rate of speed). Also tried through desktop manager

These music files are mp3's and take up approx 5.25 gig.

The BlackBerry sees the memory card correctly in both total size and amount used/space available.

All i.d. tagging correct and consistant in my library on the desktop of the media that was moved to the BlackBerry and look correct on the BlackBerry in the desktop Manager.

Problems/Bugs

1: In the media player on the Curve it will not list all the songs, artist, album whatever, no matter if sorting them by genre, song title, album, what ever.

2: If I turn the Curve off, when I turn it back on it takes somewhere between 30 to 60 minutes to list all the music that it will (and it appears the "missing" mp3s are always the same range of music, ie in the "rock" genre anything before Don Henley in a alpha sort). Currently I'm deleting all on the BB and then re-loading 500 at a time then waiting for it to list them, to see if it helps or if they start bumping others off.

I can go to the Media folder and hit menu, explore and I can see all of the mp3's that way, and they will play just fine... but it's not very handy!

It doesn't seem to matter if all the mp3's are all mixed together in the "Music" folder or if they are seperated in the "Music" folder in sub-folders, say, seperated into genre subfolders, same exact issue.

I've tried the pulling the battery thing, reseating the memory card, waiting a day...lol

If anyone has any ideas I'm just trying to figure out if it's me or a possible issue that may be addressed. I thought it might be a max indexing file limit problem, timing out while indexing, or some kind of limit thing... but all are a guess.

Thanks Curtis
    Last edited by Ssitruc; 08-09-08 at 12:35 AM.
    08-09-08 12:29 AM
    Hmm..
    I don't have near as many songs on my Media Card.
    But sometimes if I try to play music right after I unplugged it from doing something on DM
    some albums (this is just how I view the music) will appear and others won't.
    Sometimes it even stays that way.
    Same thing happens if I try and listen to music seconds after a battery pull.
    What I usually do is just give it 5 minutes after a battery pull or unplugging it from using DM.
    Then all the albums appear with no loading time.

I don't know if that will help...
    If not, I'm sure you'll get tons of other responses.
    CB is quite helpful.
    08-09-08 12:35 AM
    Yeah, it'll take awhile for it to list all that it will, but the ones that it doesnt want to see will never come up in any sort(Artist, Album, Genre, ect). After deleting and re-loading it shuffled what it doesnt want to see to some others and some of the previous are now not 'missing", but it's just a different group of missing, seems to be about the same number though...

Be interesting to see if anyone else has this issue and if they were able to get around it.

thanks
    08-09-08 12:43 AM
    Deleted everything off the Micro SD card, reformatted it using the Black Berry, and added back 860 mp3s so far(200-235 at a time) and so far its seeing all of them, given time to index them...
    That's enough for tonight, tommorrow I'll try loading the other 700, incrementally, and see what happens... if it works then I'll be scare to turn it off
    08-09-08 03:02 AM
    Deleted everything off the Micro SD card, reformatted it using the Black Berry, and added back 860 mp3s so far(200-235 at a time) and so far its seeing all of them, given time to index them...
    That's enough for tonight, tommorrow I'll try loading the other 700, incrementally, and see what happens... if it works then I'll be scare to turn it off

Being new at this and I appologize if this is not in the correct section. How do you delete files on the storage card and reformat it?

Julian
    08-09-08 11:38 AM
    To format go to Options/Media Card then high Free Space and ckick the menu nutton and format will be an option.
    08-09-08 01:56 PM
    How did it work out for you?
    08-09-08 06:15 PM
    999, that's how it wound up...lol
    I loaded them up a couple hundred at a time. When I got to 1005 I noticed some from the top were missing. I checked and the first 6 I loaded were/would not show in the media player. I deleted the last 6 I loaded taking the total to 999 and they all showed up. If I add any more now they start rolling off the ones I loaded first... They are actually still on the card, but will not display in the media player.

I have tried a few different thing to verify(add-remove-add-remove, battery, off-on, reseat memorycard, ect) I come up with 999... period...lol

Music is still on the Card, just will not list in media player.

Any Ideas out there?

Thanks, Curtis
    08-09-08 07:03 PM
    Just wondering if anyone else has loaded 1000 or more MP3s on an 8330 and verified that they can still be able to see them in the Media Player?

Thanks, Curtis
    08-10-08 01:14 PM
    Update: I had redone things so I had 986 mp3s on the player, and all would list in the media player...

Then I added 16 videos. I noticed I lost my first 3 mp3s. soooooo the 999 applies to MP3's and videos combined. I took off 3 videos and the missing mp3then were listed, added the 3 videos back and the top 3 mp3's in the listing went away again.

Maybe over the weekend I'll add some pics to the dang thing and see if they are also limited by the 999 combined total thing.

Would be nice hearing from anyone else that can confirm this is a limit, or that they can verify that there is no such limit, except on my phone!
    08-13-08 08:02 PM
    yep i have the exact same problem. Any solutions out there?
    08-18-08 03:05 AM
    Over a 1000 MP3's, when do you ever get to listen to them all? Most ever MP3's I have on my 8GB is 40 which changes every week or two and the rest of the storage space is used for video's.
    08-18-08 03:23 AM
    I had exactly the same problem. I couldn't find a solution so I bought FlipSide mp3 player which is really good and well worth the $19.95.

I did try to include the URL for it, but it seems that I'm not allowed to because I have posted fewer than 10 times. You can find it quite easily though by searching on Google.
    08-18-08 03:42 AM
    08-18-08 03:43 AM
    Haha, you cam imagine how it went...

RIM development guy - "Nobody will ever have more than 1000 media files on their Blackberry. It will take forever for a Blackberry to scan that many anyway. Assume the limit is 1000, that will be ok."

:-)
    08-18-08 03:51 AM
    Tried flip-side and it did not really work that good for me, I like to sort by Genre/Artist, it seems to like sorting by album... but I may not have given it much of a chance cause I was trying to verify this other problem at the time.

I have a 40gig Ipod full almost of just music, I fly every day so with all the packed planes and screamin kids the music is a nice diversion to dull the noise! was just hoping to leave the Ipod behind.

I thank you guys for verifying that it wasnt just me...lol

Thanks, Curtis
    08-19-08 10:18 PM
    I have the same issue: Some of my mp3 files are not showing up in Media player. (Some are individual tracks, some are entire albums.) I have 898 songs recognized and 83 other media files on the card (photos, ring tones, videos, including preloaded). But there are a bunch of other songs that do not appear in the Media player but can be found by exploring to them on the card. Some were given to me by friends and some were my own rips from my own CDs.

I've tried turning off Mass Storage Mode, to no avail. Any other guesses, people? This is very frustrating.

-Imp
    08-29-08 02:27 PM
    I know it's 999 videos and mp3s combined total on mine and it's just the one I added, not the pre installed stuff. I don't know if that total is effected by adding pics and ringtones, haven't messed with those...
    But I backed the mp3s down to 980 then added videos until I went over 999. When I crossed 999 then mp3's would not list in the media player, but i was able to access them by the "explore" method and they would also play that way... not very handy though....lol
    This was verified by other users on blackberrys forum
    09-05-08 09:58 PM
    So glad to read on this forum it wasn't just me. I also bought a 8gb card and filled it up with almost 8gb of mp3...I listen to a lot of spoken albums and they are always split up into anywhere from 5-10 files each, so reaching 999 files is way too easy.

I guess my question for anyone is: why would BB not address this limitation if it supports an 8gb card? Unless one just uses it for movies, isn't it a guarantee you'll fill an 8gb card with more than 999 media files of one sort or another? Is this being addressed in future releases?

Does anyone know of good freeware mp3 players out there that will actually work? Preferably one that can boost the sound since their "audioboost" is a joke?
    09-22-08 02:43 PM
    I have the same issue: Some of my mp3 files are not showing up in Media player. (Some are individual tracks, some are entire albums.) I have 898 songs recognized and 83 other media files on the card (photos, ring tones, videos, including preloaded). But there are a bunch of other songs that do not appear in the Media player but can be found by exploring to them on the card. Some were given to me by friends and some were my own rips from my own CDs.

I've tried turning off Mass Storage Mode, to no avail. Any other guesses, people? This is very frustrating.

-Imp
    Since you have files from different sources and you don't see them showing up, I would say it could be a problem with your tags. Especially if you look and see things showing up in the media player as "unknown". Either way, take the files that aren't showing up and edit (or add if they're missing) the tags. If you don't know how to do that, you can check the link in my signature for a freeware utility that can handle it.
    09-23-08 10:09 AM
    No, I'm pretty sure all the tags are good. I recently got a new laptop with a lot of storage, so I put all my mp3s on it, correcting and completing tags for all stragglers. I added album art and looked up the albums and genres of songs I'd downloaded from questionable sources.
    Somehow, I was able to restore an occasional song that didn't show in the Media player (without editing the file), so I don't think it's the tags. But I will explore any guesses or possible solutions.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-23-08 10:38 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD