Hi. I'm going to look at a used 8330 Curve for VZW, from an ad that I saw on Craigslist. I have heard a recent horror story on the board about a sale of this nature gone bad, so it got me wondering what I could do to protect myself if I decide to buy the phone.

I know I'll look at the condition of the phone and will turn it on and play around with it to make sure it works and the keyboard & trackball are intact, etc...

But do you folks have any suggestions as to what else I should check to make sure the phone is legit and will be able to be used on VZW? Do I need to look for the ESN and call VZW on the spot to verify that it hasn't been reported stolen or something like that?

Any advice is appreciated.
    12-18-08 01:17 PM
    I would check the condition (physically) of the phone. You can buy a new trackball set for $6, i bought two, dont worry about the OS/software cuz you can wipe the phone and load the OS and apps, themes, etc... that you want. But even if the housing is damaged a lil you can buy a new housing, keyboard, lens etc.. for 45-50 bucks, so overall make sure it works, LCD is good res etc....Ask if its unlocked, if not ask the guy if he can call into VZW and get it unlocked assuming he's had service for atleast 90days.
    12-18-08 01:30 PM
    The 8330 is locked to CDMA, no unlocking. Get the ESN and call Verizon to verify that its clear and ready to activate.
    12-18-08 02:28 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD