I seem to see some conflicting info on these boards regarding using a micro SD card in the Curve. Does anyone have specific knowlege on the following issues -- i.e, you have personally used the card in your Curve:

1. is there a size limit for the card? Some have posted that only up to 2 GB will work, but I think others have used up to 8 GB.

2. Is there a speed limit? Will a Class 2 card work? How about a Class 6 card?

3. Is there any interplay between size and speed that makes it work or not -- like 2 GB Class 6 will work, but if its 8 GB it needs to be Class 2

4. If my plan is to not encrypt and to use the card in mass storage mode (not use Roxio) -- do I need to format it in the Curve using RIM's formatting?

5. Has anyone noticed a difference in performance between a Class 2 slow card and a Class 6 fast card? If not, does the Curve have a max read/write speed, and a faster card doesn't matter?

Thanks for providing real world examples of cards you're using!!
    11-10-08 11:37 AM
    Check out the "Media Cards Explained" link in my signature. It should answer all of your questions.
    11-10-08 11:38 AM
    Thanks, that about explains it all.

The only issue left unanswered for me is if it is worth it to buy a speed higher than Class 2. Your post says that the BB doesn't work above Class 2 speeds, but then the edit says that some have noticed a difference with Class 4 and Class 6. If I will primarily use the card for mp3 playback and ringtones and pictures, will speed matter?
    11-10-08 07:16 PM
    Thanks, that about explains it all.

The only issue left unanswered for me is if it is worth it to buy a speed higher than Class 2. Your post says that the BB doesn't work above Class 2 speeds, but then the edit says that some have noticed a difference with Class 4 and Class 6. If I will primarily use the card for mp3 playback and ringtones and pictures, will speed matter?
    All Blackberry functions will work fine with a Class 2 card. However some will be noticably faster with a Class 4 or 6 spec. card.

I am not sure if the loading of data to the card will go faster with a Class 4 or 6 card. I find this to be the slowest part of using a Media Card. When I get a 16Gb card I will buy a Class 4.
    Last edited by Pete6; 11-10-08 at 07:29 PM.
    11-10-08 07:26 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD