hello all,

just converted to crackberry from palm. i have done a couple hours research and just cannot find exact answers to my questions. i hope someone can help:

1. Is there any native application already installed on my black berry which allows me to see and move files between the desktop/curve and the micrSD card?

2. Can I install programs to the microSD, see them on the curve desktop and run them off of the card?

3. Are there any 3rd party applications which allow me to do the above? I have looked at eFile but cannot figure out how to install it from a mac.

4. Is there any easy way to transfer files from my macbook to my curve?
    My obx protocol is active and i can pair my phone to my computer by bluetooth but i always get an error.

5. I can see the "system" folder on my microSD when i explore it with a card reader. I have tried to install programs there but they do not show up on my desktop/curve. Are there hidden folders I am missing?

I am used to palm and the ability to see/manage/run files from the memory card very easily. i hope there is a comparable option for BB.

Thanks for any help.
    02-16-08 11:58 AM
    Unfortunately, No is the answer to most of your questions.

There is no native file manager. Prior to the 8xxx generation, there was no micro card either.

The Browser will save to the micro card, I have some test images saved and video downloads.

OTA installation will leave the finished application in device memory, no way around that.

As for Mcintosh support, not yet.
    Last edited by Stoner; 02-16-08 at 12:25 PM.
    02-16-08 12:22 PM
    has anyone out there used eFile or a 3rd party app?
    02-16-08 12:31 PM
    I tried, the install went fine but it failed to connect without BIS.

If I understand correctly, the v4.5 OS upgrade will include the core exxxx applications and likely eFile.
    Last edited by Stoner; 02-16-08 at 12:38 PM.
    02-16-08 12:35 PM
    well i finally figured out how to get files from my mac to my curve. the install software option was gray the first time i tried it but it is available now and i have successfully installed some software to my BB. huzzah!
    not exactly happy about the inability to run software off my card. RIM needs to get with it. palm has done this for years.
    02-16-08 01:22 PM
    Welcome to the "former Treo users" club.

It definitely would be nice to run apps off the SD or at least store some of the data there. However, it's not as big a problem on the BB.

I really needed that on my Treos mainly because there was relatively little user memory available. Because the memory architecture and OS is totally different, you don't have the dbCache problem on the BB with all the limitations it caused. I've installed replacements for the 40 3rd-party Treo apps I had (many not needed on the BB) and still run with 10MB free.
    02-16-08 01:53 PM
    Do I understand correctly, the applications loader works on Mcintosh now?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-16-08 02:55 PM
    yep. the install option in pocketmac now works for me on my mac. didn't work at first. dunno why.
    02-18-08 09:20 AM
    I am pleased to point out, I was wrong in stating there is no native file manager.

There is one, it is located in the Media application and capable of browsing device and the media card.

All of the typical file managment commands are available.

At the Media manager screen, the option button includes "Explore".

To my suprize, it opened a test.txt file I had given up on.
    02-18-08 04:07 PM
    well, i found a way to determine the file size for the device applications:
    options>advanced options>applications>blackberry menu key>modules then select the module you desire.

this still doesn't explain why i have only 3mb of memory left. all of my 3rd party apps add up to about 5 mb at the max. i would assume google maps would be huge but it is only 303kb.

how much memory does a virgin curve have out of the box?

anyone have nay ideas where my memory is going?

i have installed a 2gb microsd.

an interesting finding is that after i installed my card, all of my device ringtones, and sample videos automatically moved over to my microsd.

it is fun exploring this new world, but i wish i could make sense of where my memory is being used.

thanx.
    02-19-08 02:24 AM
    Back in the Apple Ii days, the maximum we could achieve was 64 Kb, and that included video space. The Curve starts with 64 Mb, a thousand fold increase.

Then we add on 4 Gb of micro chip memory and still manage to use it up.

Out of the box, 18 Mb is typical. The browser cache is huge, but the geeks at RIM have it working smoothly.

You can access the Browser controls and clear caches, doesn't help much

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-19-08 12:25 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD