I have a large memory card in my blackberry, with tons of space. My phone has recently malfunctioned and I am getting my warranty replacement. I have a TON of things on my BB, what can I save to my memory card to save. And how for some? I know my picturesn ringtones and general 'media' is saved but what else can I save? Messages? Contacts? Apps? Themes? Bookmarks? Or are there any tricks anyone can think of?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-15-09 05:06 PM
    Only media can be stored on the media card. Music, videos, pictures, downloaded ringtones. That's it. Everything else you can backup using DM, or the "Backup 3rd Party Apps" procedure. You can restore everything to your new BB.
    06-15-09 05:21 PM
    Off hand know where I could get one?

06-15-09 05:40 PM
    Get one what?
    06-15-09 05:47 PM
    Well I said 'one' but that's because I really have no idea what DM or "back up 3rd part apps" are. How does it work? What will it,they, do?

06-15-09 05:52 PM
    DM is desktop manager. A windows program that communicates with your BB using USB. It has a backup/restore function to backup all data on your BB and later restore. There is also a device switch wizard that allows you to transfer everything from one BB to another. I've never used it so I'm not sure how well it works.

"Back up 3rd party apps" is a standard procedure for backing up and saving 3rd party apps on your BB. It is recommended to do this as a general backup and before updating your BB in the event of a crash.

DM can be downloaded here:

https://www.blackberry.com/Downloads...93E4F3BB068C22

DM 4.6 without Media Manager is generally recommend for Curves.

Here is the procedure for backing up 3rd party apps:

http://forums.crackberry.com/f3/how-...cations-53201/

The restore process for 3rd party apps is listed at the bottom of the post linked above.
    06-15-09 06:05 PM
    Only media can be stored on the media card. Music, videos, pictures, downloaded ringtones. That's it. Everything else you can backup using DM, or the "Backup 3rd Party Apps" procedure. You can restore everything to your new BB.
    Mostly correct as the items wnm listed are the only ones the phone can access.
    However, it is a memory card and as such can be used to store anything you
    could normally store on a standalone card. That includes documents, your
    OS, backup files and DM installation file. Those last three are very helpful from
    a redundancy standpoint or if your phone craps out while traveling. If you have
    access to a PC you can be back up and running in no time.
    06-15-09 06:49 PM
    Yes. From the standpoint of swapping phones, the SD card would only be good for media. I agree that it's good practice to carry a BB rescue kit on your SD card along with a USB adapter (if necessary). Never know when you need to reload the OS in a pinch.
    06-15-09 07:53 PM
    Thank you both for you help. I will be switching my phone shortly and i anticipate trouble. (the charging port came loose, i hear its common)
    06-15-09 11:11 PM
    More common than it needs to be. Invest in a charging dock. They're only about $10.
    06-16-09 06:31 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD