I have a 4g card with the 4.5 OS. I average around 21,000,000 free memory because of high # of apps(89). I have just begun to format all my cds into mp3. I wonder how many I can safely store on the curve. Do the songs store directly on the card or do they also affect free memory? Thanks

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-22-09 07:48 AM
    If done properly they will all go onto the memory card, so should pic, video, etc...
    04-22-09 07:55 AM
    How do make sure they all do that?

04-22-09 07:58 AM
    I would get an 8g card...just to be safe. I don't know what type of compression you're using on the mp3 conversion but I would give myself some "breathing room", and with all those apps you might even find some more to load

04-22-09 08:02 AM
    How do make sure they all do that?

Just make sure when you are transferring that it is going to the memory card.
    04-22-09 08:03 AM
    What is the best setting for compression on th mp3s? Sry, but I'm truly a newbie at this

04-22-09 08:10 AM
    I have a 4g card with the 4.5 OS. I average around 21,000,000 free memory because of high # of apps(89). I have just begun to format all my cds into mp3. I wonder how many I can safely store on the curve. Do the songs store directly on the card or do they also affect free memory? Thanks

You have both a media card and device memory, they are seperate stores.

A typical MP3 rip is about 20 Mb per CD or 5 Mb per tune. It takes 1,000 Kb to make 1 Mb. You can save 50 CD's or 200 individual songs per Mb.
    04-22-09 10:24 AM
    What is the best setting for compression on th mp3s? Sry, but I'm truly a newbie at this

The answer to this question is not as easy as it first may seem.

The lower the sample rate, the worse your music will sound (almost like it was playing underwater). There are two sample rates to consider when encoding an MP3.

First is the "Audio Sample Rate". I would leave this at 44.1kHz. That way it is the same as the audio CD from which it came. Audio CD's are encoded at 44.1kHz, so that they can reproduce audio frequency within the range of human hearing (typically 20Hz to 20kHz). Your sample rate has to be at least double the frequency you want to record (look up Nyquist frequency if you're real curious).

The other sample rate is the "Bit Rate". The Bit Rate basically controls your file size as mentioned above. To give you an idea of how it works, a bit rate of 128Kbps is the Bit Rate of music you buy from iTunes. You can up the bit rate of your MP3 all the way up to 320Kbps, but then there is basically no compression and the file is about the same size as a WAV file of the audio track. Personally, I want better sound quality, but not huge file size, so I encode my MP3's with Variable Bit Rate (VBR), where the Kbps varies throughout the track to maintain audio quality when it is needed. Constant bit rate will take up the same space for 1min of music as 1min of silence.
    04-22-09 11:05 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD