Hey,

So a week ago I was experiencing low memory on my curve. my texts and bbm's were getting deleted all the time so I deleted a few apps and took off all the pix i had and it ran smoother. Today I went out and bought a 2GB media card and installed it. Yet, when i go to status and check free memory its still low. When I check the media card it says its all free. does the media card only apply to pix, music, etc.? Im trying to get the optimum performance out of my curve...
    09-17-08 03:32 PM
    I would strongly recommend taking a look at this thread http://forums.crackberry.com/f3/how-...-memory-34633/ it will help greatly in increasing your free memory.

Well done on getting the media card. Sadly it wont instantly increase your free device memory. You need to transfer all your pics and music from the device memory over to the card.
    Last edited by gritmaster; 09-17-08 at 03:43 PM.
    09-17-08 03:40 PM
    Your media card is for data file storage only; it is not used for executing applications. The RAM installed in your device is fixed. What you need to do is optimize the use of RAM by deleting or closing unneeded applications, using quality / optimized themes, keeping the operating system up to date, etc.
    09-17-08 03:41 PM
    09-17-08 05:34 PM
    thanks!! i cant believe theres so little ram on this thing and it comes packed with all this software and the preloaded pics that u cant get rid of...
    09-17-08 05:45 PM
    There is a bunch of preloaded stuff the memory guides will identify that you'll be able to delete. You can also take a hard look at your apps and delete the ones you don't use. Other thing you can do is to regularly clear your cache, press menu - scroll down and click options - click cache operations - click clear cache. Then you can clear your event log, press alt-lglg - when the event log opens, you click menu - then click clear log (you can then uncheck every box in the log to prevent it from filling up again). You should also monitor your file free number and when it drops to under 16mb or more, do a reset, press alt-right shift-delete to clear tied up memory. And finally, make sure you exit apps properly - press menu-close.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-17-08 06:11 PM
    After you install a media card, you can make a couple of setting changes and get a big chuck of memory back.

The first is Media Center / Options. Set the Device Memory Limit to it lowest value. On earlier OS packages that will be 12 Mb, later OS packages let you select 5 Mb.

The second is Reserved Picture Memory. After removing any current images, you can set this to 0 Mb.

Using the "Better" technique, combined with CrackMem will let you free up enough memory for a smooth running device.

Many members are reporting 24+ Mb of free memory after the procedure is completed.
    09-17-08 06:20 PM
    May I introduce Reed, he is the gentleman who compiled the memory optimization guide. I made the setting changes he is recommending on my device and I always have 25mb after I do the memory maintenance steps outlined in my last post 3X a week. I say compiled because that is all the modest guy will admit to, but most of us know the amount of work that went into creating it and are thankful for his help.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-17-08 06:30 PM
    Thank you for those kind words.

I have learned a lot through the development and updating of the Memory Optimization Procedure. Hopefully, enough to offer reverent advice to those following in the foot steps of mental giants like John Clark of BlackBerry.com.

Last edited by Reed McLay; 09-18-08 at 09:07 AM.
    09-17-08 06:55 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD