I have an 8330 as listed in options, about. But in status I have a MEID number instead of an ESN number. A poster said that his is listed that way and he is running 5.0. Does having a MEID make in the "M" version? Don't mean to doubt him just more more confirmations, before I go into the process of loading 5.0.

So they ran out of esn numbers and created meid numbers. Sprint/blackberry created a device that will use meid and provide mms. So now an 8330 can have an meid number also?? btw I have embedded mms...
    01-21-10 11:48 AM
    It is what it is, in the About screen that is.

It seems you are one of a few fortunate people (on Sprint) who have an MEID device designated as an 8330 in your About screen.

I've mentioned that ALL 8330 devices are designated as 8330 on Verizon regardless of whether they have an ESN or MEID. Perhaps you got an early model before Sprint decided to designate MEID devices as an m? Or someone at a RIM manufacturing plant goofed?

Doesn't matter, as far as OSes go, you load what your device is designated as. In your case, your device will only take software for an 8330. Try loading software for an m and it won't let you load it.
    01-21-10 12:09 PM
    MEID & ESN = same thing
    01-21-10 12:10 PM
    So yours shows 8330 in about and you have an meid number in status and you are running the 5.0. Cool I also have that and my memory seems more than on my old device so I assumed I had an M that was not labeled right...
    From another thread, but this is another misconception about the m. It has exactly the same amount of installed memory (96MB) as the 8330 model.
    01-21-10 12:20 PM
    Thanks Xliderider, I believe you know more about the os's than any one here. I know the memory is the same on the devices but the M models or devices with a meid seem to use less memory in the os. Maybe not but with some apps installed I am around 37 mbs after battery pull. I willl see how far they have gotten with the 5.0 issues...
    01-21-10 01:45 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD