I have the 8330, just finally got the media card installed, it asked to be formatted but then as I followed required steps, I get a notice that says if its formatted my info on the card will be lost. What are my options to avoid losing information? Also, if I don't format the card, what will happen? Consequences??
    HELP
    07-17-10 12:58 AM
    Questions:
    - Is this a new media card?
    - Does this media card have any information on it that you care about? (such as photos, music, documents, etc.)

The warning about "your info on the card will be lost" displays before every format request so that you think about the two questions above.

- If the media card is new. Go ahead and Format - no info to lose.
    - If the media card has info that you do not want to lose. Do Not Format (the data will be lost)

Consequence??
    You will not be able to access the media card.

What are my options to avoid losing data?
    Do not format the card.

Is there info on the card that you are attempting to transfer to the 8330 or want to access using the 8330? If so, that would have to be accomplished without formatting. Most likely with a card reader connected to a PC.

Does this answer your concern?
    07-17-10 07:18 AM
    So if I format the card, the information on it is gone, so what if (If possible) could I transfer the information thats on the card to a computer thru a USB port then from the computer to the newest phone? Then install the card and format it?
    What I'm thinking is if I Can do to that the card can be formatted and wiped clean but the info would already be on the phone. I have several ringtones and pictures on the card so I hate to lose all that. Thank you
    07-17-10 10:48 AM
    To get the best solution as soon as possible, try to provide all the elements you are dealing with in your post.

You just introduced a new element to the issue, "from the computer to the newest phone". I take it that your original intent was to move a media card from one phone to another. But, the new phone is asking you to format the card. I think the solution you are stating will work just fine.

"transfer the information thats on the card to a computer thru a USB port then from the computer to the newest phone"
    Yes, you can do that. Either by using a USB from the old phone (assuming there is one and it is functional) to the PC or inserting the card into a card reader that is connected to the PC using a USB.

"Then install the card and format it?"
    Yes, your logic makes perfect sense.

Let us know if this is good.
    07-18-10 08:06 AM
    Ok, this is what I want to do but do not know all the steps. I have a blackberry pearl flip 8230, it has my memory card in it which has my ringtones and pic, etc. I no longer use that phone because I switched to a Curve 8330. So I want to put that media card in the curve but when I do it asked to be formatted. I don't want to lose my pics and ringtones from the pearl though. I have a usb cable but how do I transfer Pearl pics etc to the curve?
    07-18-10 03:00 PM
    Use a card reader or put the Pearl Flip in Mass Storage Mode and connect to a computer.

Copy ALL the data off the card on the the computer.

Reformat the card either with the computer or with the Curve.

Copy all the data back to the card from the computer.
    07-18-10 03:49 PM
    once I plug in and set to media mass storage, how do I find it on my computer? Where do I to go next to make the transfer? Sorry Im not real bright!
    07-18-10 10:01 PM
    Also I went to my compute and seen where the new drive was but it wont let me open it! I suck at this stuff!
    07-18-10 10:23 PM
    Help still needed?!
    07-21-10 11:35 AM
    Help needed. Yep. Use a card reader, remove the SD from the BB and read it directly on your PC. If you are not familiar with using your computer I would recommend having someone else copy the contents for you. Save yourself some frustration.
    07-21-10 01:11 PM
    I dont have a card reader, I have a usb cable but once I hook it up to the computer I dont know how to open the files? Whats the steps in doing that?
    07-21-10 05:20 PM
    Get a card reader, it's easier that way.

But until you do, once you connect the device via the USB cable, make sure that is is in Mass Storage Mode. Then the card will show up on the computer as a Removable Drive.

Then just copy all the files off the card onto the computer. Put them somewhere where you will know where they are such as in a folder on the Desktop.

Then right click on the Removable Drive that is the card and select Format.

Once it is done, copy all the file back to the card.
    07-21-10 06:31 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD