Greetings!

Been playing around with my curve again. Always wanting to learn something new...

Anyways, so I enabled media card encryption (using security password and device), and selected "encrypt media files". I turned off the phone, pulled the sd card, and stuck it in my retired Pearl. It worked as I guess it should - it told me that the card had been encrypted on another phone, and could not be accessed.

So I pull the card, stick it in an adapter, and stick it in the card reader on my pc. Much to my surprise, ALL my media files were accessible! No encryption, no asking for a password, no nothing.

Is this normal, or am I doing something wrong?

Any assist appreciated.
    02-11-09 05:48 PM
    I hope you all don't mind me bumping this just the once!

But I'm hoping to still get any assistance possible.

Thanks
    02-12-09 07:36 AM
    No, this is normal. When you enable encryption like that, it encrypts any files you put on there after you enable it. You'll know they are encrypted becasuse your berry will append .rem to the end of the file name.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-12-09 10:24 AM
    OK thanks.

So I will now spend some time taking off ALL my media files, and then reloading them back unto the berry....lol!!

Do you think I have too much time on my hands or what?
    02-12-09 04:43 PM
    When it comes to your berry, there is no such thing... Lol

02-12-09 04:45 PM
    Wow, good info... glad I read this post =)
    02-12-09 05:10 PM
    Ok..... still having problems here.

I have removed all my media files, enabled media encryption, and loaded all media back on. However the files are not encrypted. When I stick the card into my Pearl, it initially says the card is encrypted on another phone. However, when you go into media, you are able to access all the media files. Also, stick the sd card into a card reader, and the files are also available on the pc.

What am I doing wrong?

Help!!
    02-12-09 07:25 PM
    Ok..... still having problems here.

I have removed all my media files, enabled media encryption, and loaded all media back on. However the files are not encrypted. When I stick the card into my Pearl, it initially says the card is encrypted on another phone. However, when you go into media, you are able to access all the media files. Also, stick the sd card into a card reader, and the files are also available on the pc.

What am I doing wrong?

Help!!
    back up all your files then put mc in fone and try reformmating it then load all your files via pc to bb don't encrypt them and try swapping with retired pearl
    02-12-09 07:47 PM
    ok...... quick question.

With media card encryption on, is it only media captured with the device that is encrypted (ie pictures and video shot with the BB), or is media downloaded onto BB from pc using desktop manager also supposed to get encrypted?

Pls assist!
    02-13-09 01:49 PM
    Any support would be greatly appreciated!
    02-13-09 07:44 PM
    When you have media encryption enabled, any media you put on your SD card is encrypted, not just that which is captured by the phone.

02-13-09 07:45 PM
    Hey, thanks aerophage for all your help.

What could I be doing wrong?

I took all the media off, then enabled encryption, and then put all the media back on using desktop manager.

Do I need to format the card with encryption enabled? Is there anything you can think of that I may have missed?
    02-13-09 07:48 PM
    Make sure you have content protection under your security options enabled along with media encryption.

02-13-09 07:52 PM
    Ok..... still no joy!

Take picture with camera, and its saving as .jpg.rem.

Import picture from pc, and its staying as .jpg.

Tired and fed up...
    02-13-09 08:18 PM
    BUMP...

I am having the same issue. Does anyone have a solution?
    03-23-09 12:13 PM
    Try emailing the files to yourself and saving them to your phone that way. It might be that transferring files from your PC bypasses the encryption process.

03-23-09 12:54 PM
    Thanks, that did it!
    03-29-09 10:42 PM
    BUMP...

I am having the same issue. Does anyone have a solution?
    I guess I'm about a year late. The easiest way to encrypt files currently on the media card (or transferred to it from a PC), is to create a new folder (on the BlackBerry), and copy them to that folder with the 'encrypt media files option' enabled. This will encrypt the files in the new location, then just delete them from the old location.

It can be done from the Blackberry, but it is easier to do from the desktop manager, as you can more easily select multiple files and once.

You may want to make a copy of them in another location firs though, since I am told that if you move the media card to a different BlackBerry (upgrade, or your original dies) the encrypted files on the media card will be inaccessible, and the Media card useless until reformatted.

~Scott T.
    02-23-10 12:47 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD