Hello guys, I actually have a 2 in 1 question, for you that have much more knowledge than me!
    I have a 8320 curve and I have a very bad plan that allows me to receive only 100MB of data per month. This includes e-mails and Internet navigation.
    1) If I'm connected to a WiFi hotspot, will I be using part of this 100MB data that my provider allows me?
    2) How can I disconnect the mobile Internet and olny allow my BB to get connected to the Internet when using WiFi hot spots?, because I want to use my 100MB allowance only to receive the mails from the mail box I have "hooked" to my BB and navigate or check websites, such as FB or news contents using WiFi without using the 100MB.
    Are my questions clear for you? If you need some aditional info., please let me know.
    Thanks in advance,
    01-15-09 03:18 PM
    I have an 8330, so I'm not sure the answer to your second question, but to answer your first, no, data transfer via WiFi shouldn't apply to your monthly data cap, only data over your carrier's network would.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-15-09 03:30 PM
    Thanks for the info man, but how would you do it for your 8330? Maybe it is very similar to do it in yours.
    Thanks,
    01-16-09 08:43 AM
    Manage Connections > Wifi Options > edit each of your saved profiles and check Prompt before connection to prevent that profile from automatically connecting.
    01-16-09 08:48 AM
    Ok, I see your point, thanks WNM, but exacly what preferences should I edit (enable/disable) in order to get the desired effect? What I want to accomplish is that my BB only uses the 100MB of data allowance from my provider to receive e-mails from my box and Internet navigation and other software that uses GPRS are available ONLY when connected to WiFi spots.
    Thanks in advance,
    01-16-09 08:55 AM
    Ok, I see your point, thanks WNM, but exacly what preferences should I edit (enable/disable) in order to get the desired effect? What I want to accomplish is that my BB only uses the 100MB of data allowance from my provider to receive e-mails from my box and Internet navigation and other software that uses GPRS are available ONLY when connected to WiFi spots.
    Thanks in advance,
    Attachment 10207

Check the box in red.

Each time you search and connect to wifi, you are prompted to save the site as a profile which you can name. You can then go in and edit each profile and check if you don't want to automatically connect to that site. So in my example if I check the box, I won't automatically connect when I walk into Panera.

Hope this helps.
    01-16-09 09:07 AM
    Thanks for your patience man, but my question goes the other way round. I want to be automatically get connected when on WiFi spots (because it does not "consume" part of my 100MB allowance) but to be prompted to get connected to GPRS because it does consume some megas from my data allowance. Have I explained correctly? or is just something that can not be done in a BB?
    Thank you very much again!
    01-16-09 09:23 AM
    My bad. I understand now. The only thing I can think of is Options > Mobile Network > Network Selection Mode = Manual.
    01-16-09 09:41 AM
    I also dicover another function that could do the trick!
    How about Mobile Network Options>Connection Preference>WiFi Only.
    Do you think that's a better approach? or yours?
    Regards,
    01-16-09 11:43 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD