I'm trying to find out if my 8330 is fixable or not. My BB was working fine until a couple weeks ago when I noticed the screen was black with no response. Nothing unusual has happened to the phone (drop, water, etc). When I do a battery pull the OS starts to load, I see the Telus screen, verifying security software screen and then the home screen. Everything looks fine except the only thing that works is I can scroll with the track ball. Other then that it is complete frozen, no buttons work at all and then the screen goes black within a couple minutes. When I plug into the usb and open the BB desktop software the screen lights up but everything is still frozen. I can still use the desktop software as normal.

I did about 40 battery pulls and finally got it working again. I then used BBSAK to whip the device out and reloaded the operating system 4.5.0.186 Totally stock. A week later the same thing happened again. I took the housing, keypad, etc., off thinking it might help if there was a short somewhere but didn't make a difference. I then downgraded to 4.5.0.169 which made no difference. After pulling the battery all day it finally started working again. Unfortunately today it locked up again :-( I've read every post I can find on this topic and feel like I've tried everything.

Does anyone have any advice regarding if I should stop wasting my time trying to trouble shoot my BB or if I should just go buy a new one?

Thanks for any help.
    Last edited by jason.woodisgood; 01-12-11 at 05:37 PM.
    01-11-11 07:44 PM
    Try removing your media card and see how it runs. A corrupt file on your card could be the culprit. Keep me posted on your progress.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-11-11 08:19 PM
    I was just thinking I forgot to mention that I also removed the media card a few times but made no difference. Still not working after the 20th battery pull.
    01-11-11 08:40 PM
    You can do a hardware test. Menu/Status. Type the word t-e-s-t. This will bring up a blank page. Press Menu/Start Test. This will at least confirm or eliminate Hardware failure . Let me know how it turns out.

01-11-11 08:49 PM
    Thanks, as soon as it starts working again I will give the hardware test a try.
    01-11-11 08:51 PM
    Ok, finally got it working and did the "test" as you described and everything tested fine.
    01-11-11 10:47 PM
    Do you have many 3rd party themes or apps? What is your file free memory? When it does work, what are you doing when it locks up? I'll do some digging in the forums and see if I can find something we may have missed. Hang in there Jason!

jason.woodisgood likes this.
    01-12-11 08:49 AM
    I did have a 3rd party theme and a couple apps like buzz me and repligo reader for almost 2 years. After I wiped the device I have not added any new themes. My media card says total space of 7.4G and free space of 7.1. Total application memory 96mb, free application memory 39mb.

My BB has locked up 3 times now and happens totally randomly. It happens when I'm not using it. I go to pick it up and its just black screen. Just before it started working last night I noticed it was randomly dialing the keys "*" and "#". It kept doing that for a while and then the back and end button started to work. I did a few more battery pulls and now it is working again.

Thanks, I really appreciate the help!
    01-12-11 09:39 AM
    Everything sounds like it should work with exception to the auto key strokes. This usually happens with moisture contamination. But you did mention taking it apart. You may want to pull the battery and put it somewhere warm and dry. I will keep rooting for a solution.

01-12-11 11:09 AM
    Usually problems with otherwise undamaged 8330s are related to memory. In fact when you mentioned that it worked for several days and locked up again makes me more certain that it might be memory related. Make sure that you delete emails after reading them, clear your browser cache, set calendar to keep appointments to the minimum time, delete phone logs, etc. Have you ever tried shrinking your OS? What is your free memory? Options/Status?
    jason.woodisgood likes this.
    01-12-11 11:10 AM
    If this were my situation I would wipe and reinstall to the most recent Os or a Hybrid from BBtweaks using BBsak and let it stabilize before adding any other apps or themes. Then go from there. It could be a bug in the Os.

01-12-11 11:14 AM
    If this were my situation I would wipe and reinstall to the most recent Os or a Hybrid from BBtweaks using BBsak and let it stabilize before adding any other apps or themes. Then go from there. It could be a bug in the Os.

This is the 1st thing I would do also, but it is not for the faint of heart! Keep it in mind if my previous suggestions don't work. Good luck!
    JB
    01-12-11 11:21 AM
    This is the 1st thing I would do also, but it is not for the faint of heart! Keep it in mind if my previous suggestions don't work. Good luck!
    JB
    Hey jb, I just hate when everything works fine and then out of the blue, Kaboom! Then you have to wonder what the **** you did to create it! Or did you? Sonova! Lol keep on posting brother!

01-12-11 04:30 PM
    Messages were set to keep for 6 months and now changes to 15 days and I just deleted all messages. Calender was set to 90 days and now changed to 15 days. Browser cache is cleared (hardly use it). There was only 19 phone logs and just deleted all of them. Never tried shrinking my my OS. Free memory is now 46,915,052 bytes.

I really don't think my phone has any moisture in it but I will pull the batter and make sure it is totally dry. My BB is always in my pocket and would guess it stays warm and dry but I do get in and out of my truck multiple time per day (currently winter) which could cause some condensation I guess.

As previously described I wiped the operating system and reinstalled the current version. I did not load any theme or apps except for RepliGo Reader that I really need to open my pdf files.

Thanks for all the help!
    01-12-11 05:41 PM
    Hey Jason, no problem. Post back if it starts acting up again and we can all did a little deeper and maybe learn something in the process! We are all here if you need us.

01-12-11 07:32 PM
    Well, after I spent all this time reading posts and reloading the OS I figured I should try a hybrid. So far so good! I can actually use my BB efficiently!!! I'm amazed how fast it runs now and there seems to be quite a few new features but maybe that was part of the updated operating system? Anyhow I hope this all fixes the original issue I had! Thanks so much for all the help!
    01-15-11 10:06 PM
    Thanks again for all the help. My 8330 is still running perfect! I was so impressed with it I purchased another (used) 8330 for my wife. I loaded the same OS and Hybrid and made sure there was lots of memory left. Everything was set the same as my 8330 but my wife has no data plan.

Her 8330 was running perfect for a couple months and all of a sudden it is doing exactly what I explained in my first post! I wiped the OS and reloaded it with the hybrid. Also wiped and loaded without hybrid (5.0.0.438) but nothing seems to help. I've tried everything that was explained in this thread but cant get it working.

Does anyone have any other suggestions?

Thanks,
    04-11-11 08:59 AM
    ...Everything was set the same as my 8330 but my wife has no data plan. ...
    Could it be that the lack of a data plan is the problem? Without a data plan I suspect the best that you have is a plain old cell phone.
    04-12-11 12:13 PM
    I don't think the problem would be related to not having a data plan? Weather I have a data plan or not shouldn't I be able to wipe the device and then reload an operating system and have the device boot up?

Thanks,
    04-12-11 08:15 PM
    I don't think the problem would be related to not having a data plan? Weather I have a data plan or not shouldn't I be able to wipe the device and then reload an operating system and have the device boot up?

Thanks,
    Which step is giving you the problem ??? wiping the device, reloading the OS or booting?
    04-13-11 12:51 PM
    I'm able to wipe, reload and boot up. Once booted up I see the Telus screen, verifying security software screen and then the home screen. Everything looks fine except the only thing that works is the track ball. Other then that it is completey frozen, no buttons work at all and then the screen goes black within a couple minutes. When I plug into the usb and open the BB desktop software the screen lights up but everything is still frozen. I can still use the desktop software as normal.
    04-13-11 01:03 PM
    Here is a troubleshooting guide from BBTweaks:
    Hybrid Install Troubleshooting Guide - Tutorial
    If it is a BBTweaks hybrid you are having an issue with, try posting there and see if the BBTweakers can help.
    JB
    04-13-11 01:14 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD