Will someone explain to me what the differences are between the keyboard lock feature, the standby mode (i.e., when you press and hold the mute button), and the auto on/auto off feature?

I get that keyboard lock locks the keys so that you can't accidentally press keys and make calls when it's in your pocket or purse. But, what does standby do?

Also, if I set my phone for the auto on/auto off feature (as opposed to standby), will my phone still ring if I get a call or text message? Will the alarm still go off?

If the phone is on standby, does it still ring if I receive a call or text message? Does the alarm still work (provided it is set, of course!).
    05-15-08 07:16 PM
    I think the best way to explain the difference between the keyboard lock and standby is this... the standby function both locks the keyboard, but also saves on your battery throughout the day. It puts your phone to sleep while out of the holster, but you will still be able to receive phone calls and be alerted when you receive emails or texts. You can answer the phone immediately without having to take it out of standby mode.

However, in order to read emails or texts, you will need to just press the mute button once, and you are good to go. I hope this helps. I use standby all the time. It really does save on your battery.
    05-15-08 07:21 PM
    If this is true...why ever use lock keyboard? Easier 2 press but on top that *dial

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-15-08 09:14 PM
    If this is true...why ever use lock keyboard? Easier 2 press but on top that *dial

My sentiments exactly!! Just preference I guess... We like choices, don't we?
    05-15-08 09:16 PM
    Will someone explain to me if I set my phone for the auto on/auto off feature (as opposed to standby), will my phone still ring if I get a call or text message? Will the alarm still go off?
    My two bits:
    Auto off puts the phone off as opposed to sleep. No calls, not text messages/emails, no nothing. Phone will 'wake up' only if the set time is up or an alarm is set to go off.

Btw, I thought I knew everything that was to know about a BB -- but putting the phone to sleep with the mute key is new to me -- I can't thank Crackberry enough!!
    05-16-08 12:33 AM
    Thanks everyone for your helpful answers. I think I'm going to start using standby more often (as opposed to keyboard lock), but I think I'll stay away from auto on/auto off, since it means I can't receive calls or texts! That's good information to know.

Does anybody know another way to make the phone go to standby (rather than pressing and holding the mute button)? The case that I use makes it a bit difficult for me to press the mute button with ease...
    05-17-08 02:20 PM
    Some 1 posted ...press alt then enter...lock mode

05-17-08 02:40 PM
    Standby/lock is totally different that auto on/off. Auto on/off is what it says. I posted this the other day but here is why I like locking better than the standby mute button option: When my phone is locked/standby in my pocket I frequently take it out to check the time and if I have anything new. When locked I can just press the back button (or any button) to bring up the homescreen that tells me time, missed anything, etc. and it stays locked so I can just slip it back in my pocket w/o having to relock. W/ standby pressing a button won't light up the screen. You would have to hold the mute to take it out of standby to see time, etc then hold mute agian to put back in standby to put back in pocket. That's why I like lock better! Hope what I said in understandable
    05-17-08 03:10 PM
    How do I turn off the lock feature? Is there a way to set the time for longer before it puts itself back into lock? Sorry, I really am dumbfounded by this thing. -Maybe just dumb...?
    Thank you.
    05-17-08 04:46 PM
    is there any way to set the side convenience key to ullock your device (automatically enter the password)
    05-22-08 02:45 PM
    usually it is good to power cycle your phone. so maybe at 4 in the morning you can have it go off for 5 min or so just todo a power cycle. I never use auto on/off but it would be an excuse to use it.
    05-22-08 04:00 PM
    When locked I can just press the back button (or any button) to bring up the homescreen that tells me time, missed anything, etc. and it stays locked so I can just slip it back in my pocket w/o having to relock.
    I'll be doing this from now on. Thanks!
    05-22-08 04:16 PM
    is there any way to set the side convenience key to ullock your device (automatically enter the password)
    I couldn't stand the holster, so I set the PTT rubber key to do the key lock.
    Would be cool to hit it again to unlock.

...however seeing how basically the same thing I wanted to use is accomplished by using the standby key on top.

but yeah, the skin I have makes the mute key tricky.

I also use the auto power. Unlike some, I don't need to get calls and messages at 3am
    05-22-08 05:47 PM
    I prefer to press the standby/mute button option and if I need to see the time, I just press the home screen and I’m able to see the time and my BB remain on standby.
    05-22-08 05:55 PM
    How do you switch back on if it is in Auto Off mode and you need to make a call? I'm sure it's obvious but I'm f***d if I can work it out!!
    05-22-08 06:17 PM
    What's the point of doing a power cycle? Pardon my noob-ness

05-22-08 06:36 PM
    I prefer to press the standby/mute button option and if I need to see the time, I just press the home screen and I�m able to see the time and my BB remain on standby.
    I my 8310, I can enter into Standby mode using Mute button, but I cannot see the time or others by quickly pressing the home screen button.How can I do that? What changes do I need to do to my settings please?
    07-08-08 02:33 AM
    Not that I know of. Go to Options, Screen/Keyboard and scroll to Left Side Convenience Key Opens: and
    there is a pick list of available functions for that key.
    07-08-08 02:54 AM
    How do you switch back on if it is in Auto Off mode and you need to make a call? I'm sure it's obvious but I'm f***d if I can work it out!!
    Press and briefly hold the red phone buton when in Auto Off and all will be revealed.
    07-08-08 02:56 AM
    For those that use Standby, take a look at AutoStandby AutoStandby - Personal Productivity BlackBerry Software - Crackberry Store. It's a $5 utiity that puts the phone into Standby after a settable delay once the screen Backlight Timer has turned the screen off. The battery saving by doing this are impressive. When in Standby, calls, SMS, emails, Calender reminders, Alarms etc all come in to your phone and it will wake up, ring, allow you to take the call and then go back into Standby.

Standby Mode turns off a load of things in the phone and make the CPU go to sleep. The keyboard is shut off (locked if you like but with no CPU, it's dead), the screen is blanked and minimal power is used. Your Out Of Holster Profile settings are in operation. When in Standby, calls, SMS, emails, Calender reminders, Alarms etc all come in to your phone and it will wake up, ring, allow you to take the call and then goes back into Standby.

Holster Mode is the same as Standby except that because the mode was invoked by the magnet in the holster (there's a magnetically sensitive switch under the keyboard). In Hoslter mode your Profile settings are those of In Holser - no surprises there then.

Auto On/Off is a timer based setup (Options, Auto On/Off) that allows you to turn off the phone. In this mode no calls, emails, SMSs, whatever will wake up the phone and disturb you in any way. The original BlackBerry alarm will still ring though but Calender reminders will not. Pressing the red phne key will switch the phone off and it will wake up automatically at the next schedules Auto On time (if set).

Keyboard Lock is just that. The phone remains fully active but the keyboard is locked.
    Last edited by Pete6; 07-08-08 at 07:37 AM.
    07-08-08 03:21 AM
    Few things worth mentioning...

Keyboard lock is not a true lock. The keyboard is still active for emergency calls, and will accept typing for the password as well. (You can just start typing and it will start populating the password entry box)

If you turn off "dial from home screen", you can invoke keyboard lock by pressing K.

If you don't want emails to wake you up in the middle of the night but have a need to still have the phone ring, use the phone only profile. Only phone calls make noise, other stuff is silenced

Standby locks the keyboard completely, the only key that retains any function is the mute key. This is why I use it, because I hate pulling the phone out of my pocket to see it asking me if I want to make an emeergency call and such..

07-08-08 06:54 AM
    Also, you can use keyboard lock while you listen to mp3s. All keys are locked except the volume keys.
    You can't use standby this way.
    07-08-08 07:03 AM
    I'm really trying to find a practical way to use either locking or standby. I know they must have great purpose behind them.....

1. When I use standby mode, there is no way to see the home screen to check the time, messages, missed calls, etc. unless I press the mute button (on top of phone). I thought someone mentioned they could press the back button and be able to see the home screen and then the phone would just go back into standby mode. My Curve does not work like this and I wish it would. I like standby mode but it is such a pain to press the mute button if I want to see the time and home screen.

2. When I use the lock method, similar issue, if I press any button, the phone tells me it is locked and I must press * Send to unlock, but at least it tells me the time, but I can't see any messages, missed calls etc. I have to unlock the phone in order to do this. Again, I thought someone said if they pressed any key they would see this information...my Curve does not do this.

3. I discovered that when the phone is locked and I press the trackball twice it pops up a box where I can select 'Unlock', 'Emergency Call', or 'Cancel'. Cool, except the 'Unlock' option doesn't work. Anyone else experience this?
    07-16-08 07:45 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD