I am a volunteer firefighter and our county dispatch system has the ability to send a text message or an e-mail to my phone with alarm information when it happens. Right now they come to my BB Curve 8330 with no problem, but they get mixxed up with all the rest of the incoming messages. What I need to do is have messages from the County911 address have the phone set off a different alert so I know immediately its an importatant message, and it would be helpful if it was one that I can keep on when I mute the others (for example when I go to bed..I don't care who pastes what on facebook, but I still need to know where the fire is).

From what I've read elsewhere a level 1 message is what I need to create, I just don't know how to do that. I've tried to create a filter as other threads have suggested, but there is no option for filters that I can find on my BB anyplace. It's the 8330 running 4.5.0.186 if any of that matters.

Thanks in advance.
    09-11-10 12:46 PM
    Try setting up a "Forward as Level 1" Filter on your carrier's BIS website. That's where I would do it for Verizon. I assume Sprint has a similar capability.

Find something that's unique to these messages and use that to filter on. The sender will probably work.
    09-11-10 12:54 PM
    Go into email settings, press the BlackBerry button the email account you want to create the filter, and then click Filters. That's how its done on 5.0, but I would think it wouldn't differ to much on 4.5.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-11-10 01:30 PM
    Hi Guys...thanks for taking time to help me out.

Jeff, what is BIS Website? I don't know what that is...all of my email has been set up right on my berry...never had to visit any www sites, and don't know what the address would be.

drb0y, I tried your suggestion, but when I enter e-mail settings on my berry it opens a www page in the browser that lists my e-mail accounts, I can find nothing here by pushing the bberry button or the link to settings that has any mention of any way to filter messages.

This doesn't seem like it should be too difficult...I'm not usually this thick...honest!!

Thanks again.
    09-12-10 09:14 PM
    Hi Guys...thanks for taking time to help me out.

Jeff, what is BIS Website? I don't know what that is...all of my email has been set up right on my berry...never had to visit any www sites, and don't know what the address would be. ...
    Here is the BIS address for Nextel / Sprint: https://bis.na.blackberry.com/html?brand=nextel
    09-12-10 09:26 PM
    Ok, Jeff, thanks again..we may be getting somewhere. Maybe...

I just went to that site and it asks for information to create an account...I tried entering what I have on my phone for my @sprint.blackberry.net email account. Didn't accept that...so I tried creating a new account. It asks for my pin...I know what that is so I entered that, but it also asks for a "Device IMEI" ... I have no idea what that is. Any thoughts?

If it matters to this process, I don't have the enterprise server or anything like that so I can sync with Outlook...just basic blackberry service.

Thanks again, can't tell ya how much I appreciate the help.
    09-12-10 09:51 PM
    You can go to Options / Status to find your IMEI. Verizon's BIS site doesn't ask for it. I had to use a different user name than I used for my @vzw.blackberry.net account, so I'm not surprised you had to create a new one. You don't need BES to do what you are trying to do.
    09-13-10 06:20 AM
    After you get your bis account set up and you set a filter for the email address for the county911
    To send messages as level 1 you will need to edit your bedtime/silent profile to allow sound s for level 1 msgs
    Go into sounds scroll down to edit profile select silent (or what ever you use at bedtime)
    Select messages/level 1
    Set the ringtone to something obnoxious (you can set a full length mp3 so it will play a few min at least (I use five finger death punch bullet proof.mp3)) and the volume level to 10
    Set play sound to always
    Set LED to on (if you get the full version of “BeBuzz” you can set the LED to flash a custom color)
    And set notify during calls to yes
    Given the nature of your line of work I would set it like this for all profiles
    Last edited by lysergic; 09-13-10 at 08:50 AM.
    09-13-10 08:46 AM
    Here's another idea. Set your BlackBerry on the "phone only" or "quiet" profile when it's time to sleep. Make a notification profile exception for the 911 dispatch contact(s) and set the exception to use profile "loud." So long as your address book isn't included in content protection, you should receive all notifications (including phone calls) from the 911 dispatch contact(s) in your address book, even if your phone is locked. Just be sure to use a sufficiently loud notification for the emails and sms's so you won't sleep through the notifications when they come in.
    09-13-10 10:00 PM
    Thanks for all the replies everybody, I'm still having a problem finding the IMEI #. It's not listed under status on my phone.
    I have:
    Signal
    Battery
    File Free
    Pin
    MEID (DEC)
    MEID (Hex)

and that's it. I've tried all of the number in the IMEI spot and none of them are recognized. Any other thoughts?

Thanks again;
    Darrin
    09-15-10 07:22 PM
    Alt-R.Shift-H is another way to see the same info, but if it doesn't show up in Status, it probably won't show up in Alt-R.Shift-H either. I've never heard of being unable to display the IMEI. That suggests something is fundamentally wrong.

09-15-10 07:31 PM
    Is it under the battery, typed under the barcode on a sticker?

09-15-10 08:18 PM
    Thanks for all the replies everybody, I'm still having a problem finding the IMEI #. It's not listed under status on my phone.
    I have:
    Signal
    Battery
    File Free
    Pin
    MEID (DEC)
    MEID (Hex)

and that's it. I've tried all of the number in the IMEI spot and none of them are recognized. Any other thoughts?

Thanks again;
    Darrin
    did you try calling sprint and ask for blackberry support , tell them you want to set up your Blackberry internet service (BIS) account let them walk you threw it

your dec MEID should work, or the link might be for the 8330m that has a different way of identifying its self.

look at this it might help
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f70/spr...newbies-37460/
    09-15-10 08:22 PM
    oh and you might have to do it from the phone, look for email settings.
    if yours is like mine there is not a
    imiE listed any place on the phone
    some say its the same as ESN but i could not find that any place either
    im pretty sure its going to be your MEID and that there is some sort of confusion going on with the setup page CALL sprint your missing out on a major part of owning a blackberry
    09-15-10 08:29 PM
    you know what, i went threw the same thing, don't set it up on PC
    you have to do it on the phone, i forgot what it was telling me when i entered my MEiD on the PC said device could not be found or something along those lines. go into email settings on the phone and set it up there you cant log into your account on PC until after you set it up on phone first

maybe even run the set up wiz i think that takes you threw it aswell
    Last edited by lysergic; 09-15-10 at 09:11 PM.
    09-15-10 09:05 PM
    Was wondering if you got this working yet?

09-18-10 10:06 AM
    I don't know if this works, I had saved the info but never used it.

How to make a specific ringtone, email, sms/text, notification for a contact?

Next, go to profiles, scroll down to advanced, and press Menu / New Exception...

Call the the exception whatever you want, I'd pick the same thing as the profile you just created. In the FROM field, click Menu to Add Name, then select said contact from your address book...

Next, under "Use Profile" you will click to change that option to the profile named whatever you called your profile. Add the custom phone tune you want the said contact to have and make sure you enable that exception with the checkmark in the box.

You're done! When said person calls, sends a text etc, you'll know by said tone...
    09-19-10 04:49 PM
    It does work very well, and it's the method I use. The only thing to remember is this: if you use a password and content protection on your device, and you also include your address book in the content protection settings, the exceptions and custom ringtones won't work as expected when your device is locked. In my opinion, this is not ideal, since the longest any device can be set to be unlocked is one hour. That means the special settings will stop working, and whatever you have set for the default profile will take over when the security timeout kicks in, and the device locks. What I've been doing is content protecting my address book when away from the home, and the likelihood of misplacing my phone is high. I disable content protection for the address book when I'm sleeping at night; I want my emergency contacts to still be able to reach me when I'm sleeping, while the quiet profile is in use for all others.

Note re the instructions above --

I'd add in that it's not even necessary to create a new profile for the contact. One can simply make a new exception, add the contact's name to the exception, and choose one of the existing profiles (for example Loud) for the new exception while Quiet (or another profile) is in use for all others on the phone.
    Last edited by T�nis; 09-19-10 at 05:35 PM.
    09-19-10 05:08 PM
    Looks like most of that is out of date info
    I could not find any of those settings on the 8330 at least not on my OS version.

But.. The settings have been incorporated into contacts at least for phone and sms messages.
    It works for emails as well

Even though this will work in a pinch it does not have the same functionality as a level 1 message
    The main difference is that you have to set this up per contact and all incoming calls/messages from that contact will set off the alert. By setting up and using level 1 you can filter on a variety of conditions

Last edited by lysergic; 09-19-10 at 07:41 PM.
    09-19-10 07:32 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD