I'm leaving on a cruise this sunday to Grand Cayman, Belize and a bunch of other places in central american and I was wondering if instead of using SMS text that charges like 40cents per text if i can use PIN messaging or BB Messenger... I called Tmobile today but they are closed...
    07-04-08 01:34 PM
    the question is if BB Messenger or PIN messaging would be free cause all my friends have a blackberry and i made them get BB Messenger lol
    07-04-08 01:34 PM
    If you are able to browse the net in any of these places, your pin and BB messenger would should work as well as they use data network. BTW have a great trip I have been to these places and they have some nice offerings to see.
    Last edited by lastraid; 07-04-08 at 01:38 PM.
    07-04-08 01:36 PM
    yeah but problem is i know once u leave the country data becomes more expensive right? I dont wana message and then when i see my bill its $400
    07-04-08 01:38 PM
    I'm not sure about this but I think the data service on a cruise runs through the "Cellular at Sea" service so the prices for that might be hiked up as well... Not sure though
    07-04-08 01:38 PM
    Add the international blackberry plan to your account if you have tmobile. They say its for email only but any traffic through the blackberry access point should count as included including BB Messenger.
    07-04-08 01:40 PM
    only if you cruise ship signal. You may want to go to your carriers website and research international and cruiseship charges
    07-04-08 01:40 PM
    I'm looking at it now thanks. I'm gunna call T-Mobile tomorrow and make sure of everything it said 15 cents per text message and $1 a minute
    07-04-08 01:44 PM
    I know that AT&T charges ridiculous charges for international data use....your better of not taking your phone! trust me.
    07-04-08 01:51 PM
    of course i'm not going to use it most of the trip i was thinking of sending a few text once we reach a port, possibly in the morning while we are waiting to be able to get down on the island
    07-04-08 01:52 PM
    I know that AT&T charges ridiculous charges for international data use....your better of not taking your phone! trust me.
    Personally, I'd take me a Digital Camera and take tons of Pics. Then if you can get eMail access on the ship, send eMails to your friends. Too many things can happen to a Phone on a Cruise.
    IMHO Cruise means Vacation, Vacation means Fun, which means no Phone till I'm back from Vacation.
    07-04-08 02:00 PM
    Yep it is true for VZW
    07-04-08 02:22 PM
    Also, on cruise ships they have a flat rate ($2.49/min for AT&T) that you'll use if you use your phone while on the boat, ~8miles from shore.
    07-04-08 03:20 PM
    I got back from my cruise a week ago but I did send a few text but I didn't make any phone calls and the text were free, no extra charges on my phone bill. I'm just letting you people know. I have Tmobile.
    07-21-08 10:03 AM
    I got back from my cruise a week ago but I did send a few text but I didn't make any phone calls and the text were free, no extra charges on my phone bill. I'm just letting you people know. I have Tmobile.
    Good to know!! I know that Cruise Lines charge ridiculous amounts for cell minutes when on-board

I do not know from experience, thank God!! But they can easily trick people since they see their device has signal and then call from the ship...

I always call TMo before any vacation and make sure I will not be charged international, etc. And then they can let me know if they have any charges wherever I am going, etc. They can even make a note on your account so in case you do incur a charge and they said you would not... you have proof and they can waive the charge!!
    07-21-08 10:10 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD